We do not intend to scare you, but choosing a baby car seat is no joke. If traveling by car already requires high doses of responsibility, when we take our small passenger the attention is multiplied by infinity.
Remember that, in case of an accident, what for an adult can be a small blow, for a baby can be fatal . So this purchase must be looked at with special care and, in addition, you have to do it before delivery, since you will probably need to take your baby from the hospital home.
Safety measures come first, but we must also ensure that our child is comfortable and rested to prevent the journey is a source of stress. And, of course, that the hitch, assembly, and adjustment of the chair are easy and comfortable. After all, we are the adults who are going to have to deal with the buttons and straps
Top 10 Baby Car Seats
- BUILT TO GROW: The 3 in 1 car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear facing 5 40 pounds, Forward facing 22 to 65 pounds, and Belt...
- SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION: The Grow and Go's side impact protection helps keep your child safe
- EASY IN, EASY OUT: Harness holders keep the harness in an open position so it's easy to get your child in and out of the seat. Rear facing height is...
- 4 in 1 car seat gives you 10 years of use: seamlessly transforms from rear facing harness car seat (4 40 pounds), to forward facing harness car seat...
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered helps to protect your little one in frontal, side, rear and rollover crashes
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest to 10 positions in one motion to ensure that your child is always...
- All in One seat grows with your child from 5 100 pound, rear to forward facing and becomes a belt positioning booster; save space in your back seat...
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest; integrated harness storage compartment holds unused harness straps...
- Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213; the SlimFit car seat has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with...
- Side impact tested, Meets or exceeds all applicable federal safety standards and Evenflo's side impact test standard
- Designed and tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2X the Federal crash test standard. Rear facing fit tip is top of child...
- Multiple shoulder harness positions for better fit and longer use. Age at least two years of age
- One simple motion operation, from Car Seat to Stroller in seconds
- 5-point harness
- Rear-facing only
- Stroller designed for children up to 50 lbs and up to 42"
- Dual front wheels for superior maneuverability
- Large canopy with peek-a-boo window and large storage basket
- Ultra-lightweight infant car seat is easy to transport from the car to the stroller and everywhere in between
- Grows with and helps protect rear-facing infants from 4 to 30 lbs. and up to 30", making it an excellent first car seat for baby
- 5-point, front-adjust harness makes getting your little one in and out of the car seat a breeze
- The car seat built to grow for extended use through 3 stages: rear-facing 5-40 pounds, forward-facing 22-65 pounds, and Belt-positioning Booster...
- Side Impact protection
- Harness holders: with the harness held back, it's easy to get your child in and out of the seat
- Snug Lock Technology features a hassle-free 3-Step installation using vehicle seat belt or LATCH
- Grows with and helps protect rear-facing infants from 4 to 35 lb and up to 32"
- Adjustable base offers 4 recline positions, providing the right position for proper installation. Rotating canopy provides shade and sun protection...
- Extended use lets kids ride longer: Rear facing 5 40 pounds and Forward facing 22 50 pounds
- Side Impact Protection
- Seat pad is machine washable and dryer safe
Other Features To Consider:
Chair weight and size
Measure your car well to calculate how much space you have for the chair, and calculate if in addition to the baby you need one or two seats in the back. If you have a side impact protection system (those small parts that eliminate the space between the chair and the car door), you may be interested in having both sides installed independently to gain space on the passenger side.
What kind of trips do you do
If they are only small trips around the city, with a little padding it will be enough, but if you consider long trips you have to pay attention to the comfort of the chair … or the child will start protesting sooner rather than later.
It is one of the main pieces, to which we have already dedicated its space in all model reviews. Notice that the recline convinces you so that the child does not throw his head forward when he is asleep: it is annoying for him and especially dangerous in case of an accident.
Check that you are comfortable riding the child in the car, that you can easily access and unbuckle the harness, if it has one, or pass the seat belt through the chair guide. And do not forget to check from time to time that the pieces have not loosened and are appropriate to the size of your baby, as it grows. If not, security systems are useless.
Of course, that it is washable, and also that it is easy to put on and take off. If you do a little maintenance and pass a damp cloth or wipe to clean from time to time, plus a soft bristle brush or vacuum cleaner, it will be easier than stamina but do not hesitate: at some point, you will want to put that cloth in the washing machine.
Car Seat Regulations
Current law says that minors of stature equal to or less than 135 cm must necessarily use child restraint systems in the rear seats of the car.
Not to take the children correctly seated in the car with approved chairs is considered like serious infraction, with an economic sanction of until 200 euros and withdrawal of three points. They can even immobilize the vehicle. Current regulations affect manufacturers, who must comply with the requirements to standardize their chairs, but this does not exempt users from using an approved car seat.