We do not intend to scare you, but choosing a baby car seat is no joke. If traveling by car already requires high doses of responsibility, when we take our small passenger the attention is multiplied by infinity.
Remember that, in case of an accident, what for an adult can be a small blow, for a baby can be fatal . So this purchase must be looked at with special care and, in addition, you have to do it before delivery, since you will probably need to take your baby from the hospital home.
Safety measures come first, but we must also ensure that our child is comfortable and rested to prevent the journey is a source of stress. And, of course, that the hitch, assembly, and adjustment of the chair are easy and comfortable. After all, we are the adults who are going to have to deal with the buttons and straps
Top 10 Baby Car Seats
- 3-in-1 car seat grows with your child from rear-facing harness (5-40 lb) to forward-facing harness (22-65 lb) to highback booster (40-100 lb)
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: a combination of the most rigorous crash tests that help to protect your child in frontal, side, rear and rollover...
- No-Rethread Simply Safe Adjust Harness System allows the headrest and harness to adjust together in one motion
- 4-in-1 car seat gives you 10 years of use: Seamlessly transforms from rear-facing harness car seat (4-40 pounds), to forward-facing harness car seat...
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered helps to protect your little one in frontal, side, rear and rollover crashes.
- Simply safe adjust harness system adjusts the height of your harness and headrest to 10 positions in one motion to ensure that your child is always...
- Easy installation: Patented click tight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- No rethreading, ever: 14 position harness, 2 position buckle for a comfortable fit as your child grows
- Relax and recline: 7 recline positions ensure comfort and the best vehicle installation angle
- Advanced Side Impact Protection
- Adjustable 5-point safety harness with push-button release
- Adjustable 2-panel canopy
- EPS energy-absorbing foam for superior side impact head protection
- 5-point safety harness; Easy one-hand harness adjustment and push-button release
- Removable 4-piece grow-with-me insert.DO NOT use bleach or harsh detergents.
- Built to grow: The 3 in 1 car seat built to grow for extended use through 3 stages: Rear facing 5 to 40 pounds, forward facing 22 to 65 pounds, and...
- Side impact protection: The grow and go’s side impact protection helps keep your child safe
- Easy in, easy out: Harness holders keep the harness in an open position so it is easy to get your child in and out of the seat. Rear facing height is...
- 3-in-1 car seat grows with your child from rear-facing harness (5-40 pounds) to forward-facing harness (22-65 pounds) to highback booster (40-100...
- Slim design with dual integrated cup holders that rotate away, making the seat 10% slimmer to save valuable back seat space
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: A combination of the most rigorous crash tests that helps to protect your little one in frontal, side, rear and rollover...
- Integrated Adjustable Canopy for UV Protection: Integrated height and angle adjustable canopy for in-car UV protection. Flip-out side visors provide...
- 4-in-1 Seating System: Built for extended use including 1) Rear Facing Infant mode from 4 to 18lbs 2) Rear Facing Toddler mode from 18 to 40lbs 3)...
- Comfort & convenience for kiddos: Child can quickly adjust the canopy when car is in motion and sun is coming from multiple directions. The coverme's...
- This Safety 1st all-in-one travel system allows for a seamless transition from car to stroller. QuickClick technology secures the LATCH-equipped car...
- With exceptional side-impact protection, the included 35 LT rear-facing infant car seat includes added back and neck support for newborns.
- An oversized canopy with flip-out visor and peek-a-boo window provides shade and airflow on sunny days and a convenient basket under the seat provides...
- Car Seat & Stroller - Easily move this travel system from car seat to stroller with its simple one motion operation system.
- 5-Point Harness - Keep your infant safe and secure with the Doona 5-point harness. Suitable for infants 4 to 35 lbs.
- Approved for Travel - This car sear and stroller is approved for travel by the TUV and FAA.
Other Features To Consider:
Chair weight and size
Measure your car well to calculate how much space you have for the chair, and calculate if in addition to the baby you need one or two seats in the back. If you have a side impact protection system (those small parts that eliminate the space between the chair and the car door), you may be interested in having both sides installed independently to gain space on the passenger side.
What kind of trips do you do
If they are only small trips around the city, with a little padding it will be enough, but if you consider long trips you have to pay attention to the comfort of the chair … or the child will start protesting sooner rather than later.
It is one of the main pieces, to which we have already dedicated its space in all model reviews. Notice that the recline convinces you so that the child does not throw his head forward when he is asleep: it is annoying for him and especially dangerous in case of an accident.
Check that you are comfortable riding the child in the car, that you can easily access and unbuckle the harness, if it has one, or pass the seat belt through the chair guide. And do not forget to check from time to time that the pieces have not loosened and are appropriate to the size of your baby, as it grows. If not, security systems are useless.
Of course, that it is washable, and also that it is easy to put on and take off. If you do a little maintenance and pass a damp cloth or wipe to clean from time to time, plus a soft bristle brush or vacuum cleaner, it will be easier than stamina but do not hesitate: at some point, you will want to put that cloth in the washing machine.
Car Seat Regulations
Current law says that minors of stature equal to or less than 135 cm must necessarily use child restraint systems in the rear seats of the car.
Not to take the children correctly seated in the car with approved chairs is considered like serious infraction, with an economic sanction of until 200 euros and withdrawal of three points. They can even immobilize the vehicle. Current regulations affect manufacturers, who must comply with the requirements to standardize their chairs, but this does not exempt users from using an approved car seat.