Cats belong to the clean animals and are very popular as pets. Especially the domestic cats have their own toilet, which is filled with cat litter. With cat litter, the excrement of your cat can be tied and unpleasant smells are suppressed. When cat litter there are different variants, such as silicate litter, lump litter or vegetable litter. Which of these cat litter species is the better choice and what you should look for when buying the cat litter, you can read in our cat litter comparison.
Top 10 Cat Litter
- 99.9% dust free, hypo-allergenic natural litter to keep your surfaces clean and perfect for families who suffer from allergies
- Hard clumping, medium-grain clay makes it the perfect clumping litter that helps prevent moisture
- Multi-cat formula and superior odor control keeps your home smelling clean and fresh day in and day out
- Clumping litter: Fight litter box odors with the strength of fresh step litter partnered with the power of febreze in our easy to scoop, clumping clay...
- Odor control cat litter: Specially formulated for multi-cat litter boxes, this cat litter has a 10-day odor control guarantee with ammonia block...
- Low dust litter: For cleaner surfaces and clearer air, we developed a low dust formula with paw activated fragrance that’s released every time your...
- 10% more odor eliminators than our clump & seal fresh scent
- 100% dust free Platinum formula
- 7 day odor-free Home. Instructions - Fill a clean, empty litter box with 3-4 inches of litter. Litter seals in and destroys odors, forming rock-solid...
- One (1) 40 pounds Bag - Purina Tidy Cats Clumping Cat Litter, 24/7 Performance Multi Cat Litter
- Use to refill your empty Tidy pails (pail not included)
- Tight, strong clumps for easy scooping
- Fights odors longer: Fight litter box odors with Fresh Step Advanced Extreme Cat Litter that starts fighting odors on contact to control odor longer...
- Scented cat litter: Eliminates the strongest odors while leaving behind a crisp mountain spring scent
- Low dust cat litter: For cleaner surfaces and cleaner air, this litter is 99% dust free and a low tracking cat litter
- One 14 pound box of Fresh Step multi-cat clumping scented cat litter
- Inhibits bacterial odor for up to 10 days guaranteed
- For multi-cat homes and busy litter boxes
- 40 pounds Box Purina Tidy Cats Instant Action Clumping Cat Litter
- Protects against ammonia, urine and feces odors
- Offers immediate odor control
- One (1) 17 lb. Box - Purina Tidy Cats Light Weight, Low Dust, Clumping Cat Litter, LightWeight Glade Clear Springs Multi Cat Litter
- Low dust for a clean, easy pour
- Ammonia Blocker prevents ammonia odor from forming for at least two weeks when used as directed
- Fights odors longer: Fight litter box odors with Fresh Step advanced clean paws cat litter that starts fighting odors on contact to control odor...
- Low tracking litter: Clean paws Litter is designed to stay off of your cat's paws to help keep floors clean,
- Low dust cat litter: for cleaner surfaces and cleaner air, this litter is 99% dust free
- FAST-ACTING CLUMPING FORMULA: The 99% dust-free, fast-clumping formula traps odors and makes cleanup easy.
- SUPER ABSORBENT: Nature’s Miracle Multi-Cat Clumping Clay Litter is super absorbent to lock in wetness.
- FIGHTS AMMONIA, URINE & FECES ODORS: This formula instantly neutralizes urine, feces and ammonia odors on contact.
How does cat litter work?
The cat toilet is used for the cat’s toilet. The cat lavatory is an important utensil especially for domestic cats – on the one hand, to “catch” the cat’s urine and excrement and, on the other hand, to prevent the pet owners from having extremely unpleasant odours. The cat litter box is filled with cat litter, which binds the excrement and the urine as well as the odours. It is important to buy the right cat litter. Because some can not bind the odours or lack of lumps so that you can make the cat toilet very difficult to clean. You see, cat litter is not the same as cat litter. In our cat litter comparison, we would like to inform you about what you should look for when buying the cat litter and what are the differences in the filler for the litter box.
The different types of cat litter
In the cat litter one distinguishes different kinds, like:
1. Mineral cat litter
It consists of clay minerals mixed with quartz sand and lime. For the moisture-binding of cat litter, Bentonite is used. In the case of mineral cat litter, in some cases, the odour binding is less good. However, the mineral cat litter easily absorbs large quantities of urine and as soon as the cat buries its excrement, the smell is also bound. Mineral cat litter is available in fine and coarse grain, the fine cat litter is more comfortable for cats. This type of cat litter is also quite cheap, the weight of the cat litter is very heavy.
Another disadvantage of the mineral cat litter is that the moisture-binding is very high is. As a result, the clumps adhere to the bottom of the litter box, are difficult to solve. The colour of the cat litter ranges from light to dark grey and just the fine-grained cat litter tends to high dust formation. Therefore, filling the cat litter box is not exactly pleasant. This mineral cat litter is not recommended for allergy sufferers. In these cases, natural eco-friendliness is the better choice. The mineral cat litter is disposed of in the residual waste bin.
2. Natural litter
As the name implies consists of natural fibres such as straw, hay, waste paper, corn or wood shavings. The natural litter is an alternative to silicate litter or the mineral litter. The advantage of this type of cat litter is that the weight is very light and the cat litter is very productive. However, the natural litter does not include the urine and faeces of the cat as well as the mineral litter, in terms of odour binding is very good again. The lump formation is not quite as good at the natural cat litter. In the natural litter, the litter box must be replaced more often in the week more often, because the natural litter expires to very fine grains and thus is not so receptive. In contrast, the dusting nature cat litter quite little, so that allergy sufferers can use this cat litter. In terms of price, natural litter is much more expensive compared to mineral litter.
3. Silicate litter
It consists of very fine beads. The silica litter contains silica gel, which is also used in baby diapers. The odour binding is very good for the silicate litter. A major advantage of the silicate litter is that not only faeces, urine and odours are bound, but also disease germs are included. In addition, the cat litter of silicate compared to the mineral litter is lighter and more productive, also has an antibacterial effect. Suitable for allergy sufferers, with very little dust formation, the silicate litter offers many positive aspects compared to other cat litters. This silicate is a mixture of quartz sand, water and lime.
By adding aluminium powder, the mixture is foamed and then cured under heat and high pressure. Due to the lightness of the silicate beads, they are often distributed in the home as they stick in the paws and fur of the cat. However, with a small rug in front of the litter box, you can already find a remedy. Sound-sensitive cats may have trouble walking the cat litter box with the silicate litter. The beads rustle when entering so that it can happen that your cat avoids the cat toilet. The silicate litter must be taken care of over the bio bin, not in the house toilet!
4. The lump
is, as the name suggests, solid lumps. If the litter is in contact with urine or faeces, solid lumps form directly. The lump litter is very rich but should be filled weekly with new litter. Otherwise, the lumps can be easily removed from the litter box. The disadvantage of lump litter is that it can stick together in the fur of long-haired cats. This is due to the binding ability of the litter. Even with kittens with the litter, a little caution is required. Small cats like to try everything and this litter can lead to constipation in the digestive tract of the cat’s children.
5. Components of the non-clumping cat litter
are pressed wood chips, which are in the form of small pellets. The small pellets are about 0.5 to 1 cm long and about 0.5 cm wide. Due to their size, these wood pellets are uncomfortable, quite hard and not too absorbent, which is why many cats are anything but enthusiastic about this cat litter. If the litter box is contaminated, the complete litter must be changed. A very expensive fun, whereby the type of cat litter only very moderately prevails.
6. The cellulose litter
It is made of recycled corrugated cardboard and is therefore very light and, above all, absorbent.
7. The cat litter with additives
It is simply perfumed litter products that smell like a spring meadow or baby powder, for example. With the mistresses and masters, these cat litter kinds are very popular, since they cover the smells pleasantly. But according to the motto: “one joy, the other suffering”, the cats of the cat litter with additives are often anything but enthusiastic. For you’re fine sense of smell, this fragrance additive is a real burden. It may happen that your cat avoids the cat toilet. In some cases, the pet owners themselves suffer from the fragrances, as they are very intense and may cause headaches in some people.
The dust formation in the cat litter – sometimes very unpleasant
Depending on the grain size of the cat litter, it will more or less dust. Especially when filling the cat litter in the cat litter box, it can, depending on the cat litter, dust very uncomfortable. Of cat litter, which has too much dust, is generally discouraged because the dust arrives by inhalation in the lungs. And especially allergy sufferers can get massive problems with the cat litter here. In addition, the dust also deposits on the floor or on the furniture, which is also to be regarded as disturbing.
What should you look for when buying the cat litter?
As just described, the dustiness of the cat litter is an important factor in the purchase decision – for you and your cat. For that reason, you should be careful to buy high-quality cat litter, because the higher-priced cat litter usually have a low dust formation. Of course, the perfect cat litter is very absorbent and larger amounts of liquids are no problem for the litter. Cat litter that clumps through the liquid or excreting the cat is ideal. That is, on the one hand, the cat litter is very absorbent and receptive. The excrements of the cat are bound by the cat litter and trapped by the lumping. The smell of cat litter is also crucial in some cases when you buy it. Generally, it is important for the cat litter that the odour binding is very good.
Because unpleasant odours, caused by the excrements of the cat and the cat toilet, are anything but beautiful – certainly not in the apartment. For this reason, the cat litter must trap the odour. Clumping litter is very reliable for these cases, as the excretions of the cat are trapped in the lump. Natural litter or Ökostreu belong to the absorbent cat litter varieties, even if they hardly form lumps. When buying the cat litter fertility is also important. If too much litter is needed to clean the cat litter box, it will be very expensive in the long term. For that reason, you should look to buy a rich cat litter. In many cases, the expensive cat litter is also the rich, so it definitely pays off in the long run.
Sprinkling the cat litter – what is the right amount?
The right amount of cat litter in the litter box is not that easy to determine. Too little litter does not like the cat, because she can not scratch the litter. Since cats bury their legacies, it needs just the right amount of bedding. You’ll first need to know how much cat litter your cat feels comfortable with and the amount of litter around the litter box is kept to a minimum.
The correct disposal of the cat litter
For almost all types of cat litter, the disposal applies to the normal household garbage can. Only eco-friendly or natural litter, which consist of biodegradable materials, may be disposed of either in the bio-bin or on the compost. For some silicate cat litter, it is also valid that they can be disposed of in the bio-bin or the compost. However, the lumps with the faeces and the urine of the cats must first be taken out. Since only a few make this separation, the recommendation is, generally cat litter and the legacy of the cat in the residual waste, so the household waste, to dispose of.
When disposing of natural litter on the compost heap in the garden, it may happen that germs may multiply. In addition, it takes a long time until the cat litter has completely composted. In general, it is not recommended to dispose of it in the toilet – only products where this is expressly stated on the packaging can be disposed of via the toilet. But the danger of constipation is too great, considering that cat litter swells in conjunction with liquid and thus can clog the toilet very quickly.