In Germany, almost every second child in the car is not properly secured. Most parents do not know about these dangers. An impact at just 15 km / h has devastating consequences for the small passengers. The ideal child seat fits the age, size and weight of a child. He brings along the necessary padding on the sides, on the head, on the hips and on the back, without restricting the ride comfort and the comfort. Last but not least, securing with a smooth 5-point harness ensures comprehensive protection for toddlers and babies.
In the compact child seat comparison on STERN.de, we present you the leading car seats and their advantages. You will learn more about the installation, the safety features and the child seat group. What are ISOFIX car seats? What do we mean by i-size and what should you look for when buying? We deliver the answers. Find out how to find the right child seat, what size fits your child and how to attach the seat to the vehicle in our guide.
Top 10 Child Seats
- 4 seats in 1: 4-in-1 seat gives you 10 years of use--it seamlessly transforms from rear-facing harness (5-40 lb), two forward-facing harness (22-65...
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System: Adjust the height of your harness and headrest to 10 positions in one motion to ensure that your child is always...
- 10-position Headrest: One-hand, 10-position adjustable headrest is easy to use and grows to properly fit your growing child.
- PORTABLE AND PACKABLE | Car seats no longer have to be heavy, bulky and impractical. The hiccapop UberBoost portable car seat inflates with only a few...
- CERTIFIED SAFE FOR YOUR MOST PRECIOUS CARGO | Your child deserves a comfortable and safe car seat for those quick journeys in rental cars, taxis, Uber...
- STURDY, STABLE, SECURE | Non-skid base is designed to sit firm and steady on leather, vinyl or cloth seats. Provides soothing stability while riding...
- Our product also has the advantage of not interfering with the use of the built-in safety features of your vehicle (e.g. side air bags, side safety...
- By utilizing the vehicle’s seat belt, the child can benefit from any advanced seat belt functionalities your vehicle has to offer (e.g. belt...
- The highly adjustable, Fits children of many sizes. Suitable For Children Ages From 4-12 Years Old With A Minimum Weight Of 40lbs Upwards And A Height...
- [A Unique Way to Accompany Your Children]-Riding with your children will not only satisfy your children's curiosity about the world, but will also...
- [Compatible with All MTB]-Child MTB seat is specially designed for children 2-5 years old and weighing less than 48 pounds. The angle of the MTB seat...
- [Safety and Comfort]-A comprehensive rubber-designed child bike seat can protect your alloy or carbon fiber bicycle frame. The adjustable and soft...
- THICK AND STURDY MATERIAL: The child seat is made of high-quality steel pipes and thick metal pipes. The maximum weight is 66 pounds. The overall...
- PORTABLE FOLDABLE DESIGN: Front mount bike child seat adopts a foldable design and is equipped with a quick installation wrench. It is easy to...
- SAFETY&COMFORT: Front mount child bicycle seat, thick padded cushion, guardrail with soft cover and comfortable seat back, ensure the safety of...
- 【Dual Magnet】The built-in potty seat secures magnetically in cover when not in use, so it’s not an extra seat for you to have to lift up. Also,...
- 【Quiet Close】The plastic toilet seat closes slowly and quietly to eliminating slamming and pinching fingers. Both the lid and the adult elongated...
- 【Meet Family Need】2-in-1 toilet training seat accommodates the needs of both adult and baby, makes potty training fun for the child and...
- Enjoy safe, family-bonding bicycle rides with this deluxe child seat made with lightweight, polypropylene construction
- The frame mounted rear bike seat is easily assembled, making getting ready for the next adventure hassle free
- The quick release 3 point harness, leg restraints, and padded cross bar offer added safety, while the adjustable footwells and removable headrest...
- New upgrades: keep your child secure and comfortable in the high back or backless booster with upgraded fabrics and easy remove covers - Machine wash...
- Xl booster with room to grow: keep your child safe and comfortable with the high back booster seat mode now up to 120 lb/ 54 kg. Wide booster with...
- Lightweight & PORTABLE: This lightweight design makes this high back booster in any mode easy to transfer between vehicles
- Package Content & Age: The package includes one Car Seat Footrest that's compatible with all car and booster seats. The Footrest should be used as...
- Installation: The Footrest easily attaches to the latch behind the seat. For cars that don't have the latching system it also comes with hooks that...
- Medically Approved/Recommended: Dr. Lee Am a prestigious orthopedic surgeon has highly recommended the Footrest as the number one travel accessory...
- 3-in-1 car seat grows with your child from rear-facing harness (5-40 pounds) to forward-facing harness (22-65 pounds) to highback booster (40-100...
- Slim design with dual integrated cup holders that rotate away, making the seat 10% slimmer to save valuable back seat space
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: A combination of the most rigorous crash tests that helps to protect your little one in frontal, side, rear & rollover...
Since when are there child seats?
“Click first – then start”. In Germany, since 1976, the seat belt for the front passenger car seats. Eight years later, the seatbelt obligation for passengers in the back seat follows. The first child seat came out in 1963. The company Storchenmühle launched its “Nicki” on the market to make driving safer for children. In 1989, the first reboarded was added and since 2001 there is the practical Isofix fastening system.
The most important thing about the child seat and the Highway Code
Each child should be protected up to a height of 1.50 meters and up to the age of 12 by a child seat in the vehicle. The adult belt on the car seat would not provide adequate protection. The optimal child seats bring a side impact protection and a special backrest. Whether with parents, relatives or friends: Each child must be secured on short distances by an approved child seat.
When child seat instead of baby seat?
If you want to transport newborn babies in the car, you need specialized child seats. The baby bowls, which often reach up to 9 kilograms from the first month of life, usually make the start. A change is recommended as soon as you want an upright seating position. In the first child seat group, you start with 9 kilograms – from about 9-10 months. You should definitely opt for a child car seat that grows up with you. This ensures a long life over the years. Since an initially high price paid in the long run.
Which child seats and car seats are best?
When purchasing, first pay attention to the permissible certificates, such as the ECE test number. This begins with ECE R 44/03 or 04. You will find this test number on the ECE badge directly on the child seat. In this way, you can be sure at first glance that it is a model that meets common safety standards. Since 2008 you can only transport children in the designated child seats. Otherwise, you pay a Verwarngeld of 30 euros. The crucial accessories include extras that stand out in the child seat comparison on STERN.de, such as
- Headrest and neck support,
- Sunscreen for the window,
- Protection for the backseat,
- Cup holder and
Child seat purchase: Which size to choose?
Parallel to the current R44 regulation, the i-size child seats have been developed on the basis of the regulation in the summer of 2013. By this, we mean a new European i-Size regulation that should simplify the safety of children in the car. In the context of the current i-size standard, backward driving is mandatory for all children up to 15 months. Based on this regulation, the focus is no longer on the weight, but on the size of the children to find the right child seat.
Within this regulation, the ISOFIX system comes into play. This reduces the risk that the child seat could be incorrectly installed in the vehicle. Children can basically be transported up to a height of 105 cm backwards. Afterwards, the parents have the option to move the seat in the other direction. This requires an additional designation RF, which stands for “rear-facing”.
Advantages and disadvantages of child seats:
- For children up to 12 years available
- With extra side impact protection
- Adjustable headrest
- Ergonomic backrest
- Removable cover washable at 30 degrees Celsius
- ISOFIX bracket in the car
- 5-point harness for secure attachment
- Fitting child seats take up a lot of space
- High price for car seats
- Partly awkward in handling
Professionals advise: Which child seats are allowed?
In terms of traffic safety only tested child seats are allowed in traffic. They are designed to protect the youngest from serious injuries in the abdomen and neck as well as in the neck area. The best child seats absorb sudden energy effects and divert them via the material. Since the 1970s, the Federal Highway Research Institute has been documenting the safety rates and the use of child seats. Fortunately, safe transport in 2015 is 99%, which marks a particularly high value. The Highway Code states in paragraph 21 that every child up to the age of 12 and under a body height of 150 cm must be transported in a special restraint. A basis is the above-mentioned standards and groupings for the matching child seats and a safe purchase decision.
When purchasing, you should pay attention to the ECE test standards and to the sticker, which in turn provides the following information:
- European child seat test standard
- Approved use: vehicle-specific or universal
- body weight
- European identifier – 1 stands for “tested in Germany”
- Test number
- Manufacturer of the child seat
This badge can be used to provide specific, clear indications for use.
What weighs a child seat on average?
In the child seat comparison on STERN.de, the growing car seats came to a considerably higher weight than the models, which belonged to a special norm group. The reason is a wide fuse and high durability. So the shell has to adapt again and again to the changing body size. That costs material. Most child seats oscillate between 5 and 7 kilograms.
How to adjust the child seat correctly +++
Before going on the first tours, you must first install the child seat correctly and adapt it to the size of your child. Be sure to take your time and do not risk the patience of your children. This is best done right after the purchase. First, try to install the seat in the car without a child, and then adjust it to the size of the small rider. The above models and child seats in direct comparison all provide a German-language installation instructions, which significantly simplifies commissioning. Depending on which components can be adjusted, you change:
- the headrest,
- the backrest and
- the width as well
- the straps,
which you adjust to the proportions and not too tight.
How to clean the car seat
Be sure to pay attention to a removable cover when buying. The textiles of the best models can all be cleaned at about 30-40 ° C in the washing machine and can make so quickly forget about blobs on the go. In addition, it may be useful to order a change purchase or a replacement for the summer and winter right along with. So you always hold a cover in your hands when the other is in the wash. If the textiles are only slightly soiled, it may be sufficient to use a damp cloth or a cloth to remove the crumbs and rub off a stain.
How to attach the child seat
- With Isofix: Most child seats in the comparison there is alternatively with Isofix function. This is a special option that prevents incorrect attachment in the vehicle. You really do not have to do anything else than let the respective attachment snap into the Isofix holder of your vehicle. Of course, you should pay attention when buying, if your vehicle even supports this option.
- Without Isofix: Actually, most vehicles have these devices. The older models are an exception. First, read the enclosed instructions carefully and check whether the belt buckle is firmly locked in place. It should reliably connect to the child seat. The mounting base forms the “base” of a child seat. We are dealing with an adapter through which every child seat in the car finds its place. This base is recommended for baby bowls as they can then take out the whole bowl without, for example, lifting the sleeping baby out of the seat.