Cooking creates odours that can hang in the home for days after cooking. And that is not the only unpleasant side effect when cooking, because even the fat from the steam settles in every kitchen and begins to stick after a while. In order to avoid these things, the purchase of a suitable extractor hood is essential, because with the right extractor hood, preparing dishes becomes a clean affair and the haze literally worsens.
In some extractor hoods, the steam remains in the kitchen after it has been filtered, then there are extractor hoods where the steam and odours are routed out of the house. Whether simple extractor hood, wall hood, substructure, island hood or flat-roof hood – the designs of the extractor hoods are very different and usually adapted to the circumstances of each kitchen. But customers often have a hard time choosing to purchase, because the market for extractor hoods has become huge and often unmanageable. In the guide, you will learn what you need to consider when using the hood.
Top 10 Cooker Hoods
- HIGH-QUALITY DUCTLESS RANGE HOOD INSERT: Bisque hood insert improves ventilation and lighting over your stove with the non-ducted filtration system...
- EFFECTIVE INCANDESCENT LIGHTING: A protective lamp lens distributes light evenly over the cook-top and accepts up to 75W bulb (bulb not included)
- EASY CARE: Charcoal filter is replaceable so you can maintain optimum grease capture and keep the kitchen fresh
- [European Base ]: LED E14 intermediate appliance bulb replaces 25W-75watt halogen bulb | Replacement oven light bulb 4173175, save up to 90% on...
- [TECHNICAL FEATURES]: Standard E-14 led light bulbs, Light angle: 360 Directional; 90pcs 2835-LED chips, Watts: 7W E14 LED bulb Equivalent to 70W...
- [APPLICATION]: Easy Installation,LAOYEBAOHE E14 light bulb with Standard European standard E14(E14 Base, Base diameter 16mm) lamp holder, Perfect for...
- Hood, Ann (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 256 Pages - 12/03/2019 (Publication Date) - W. W. Norton & Company (Publisher)
- ♥Color:White; Size Approx: 40 x 38 cm; Conversion: 1inch=2.54cm, 1cm=0.393inches. Package included: 12pcs/set
- ♥Efficient grease extraction: Just simply cut to required size, keeps your kitchen clean and grease free.
- ♥The filter is very large so you can cut it down for either two full size hoods or extra filter protection.
- English (Publication Language)
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Patrick Norris (Director) - Sarah Watson (Writer) - Lawrence Trilling (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- Just regular replacement, avoid cleaning trouble. convenient and save your time.
- Prevent oily Dust to breed, more wholesome.
- it keep the range hood cleanly for a long time - Give you a clean and tidy kitchen environment.
- The Pink Stuff Cleaning Paste Established In 1938 Is A Versatile Cleaner For Use Both Inside And Out
- Natural Ingredients - Vegan
- All Around Cleaning Capabilities To Tackle The Toughest Jobs.
This makes cooking with cooker hoods an experience
Cooking and baking are among the nicest things in life. It is not just pure activity itself, because preparing food and experimenting with food creates interpersonal exchange and lets people connect with each other. This makes cooking in the kitchen a true experience. If the matching extractor hood hangs over the hob, it’s even more fun in the kitchen. In the hood now there are many construction methods. Whether installation, – Underground island hoods or flat hoods – the market for it is huge, which means that many private consumers and professional restaurateurs are often tormented with the purchase decision and the most suitable cooker hood must search under the wide range.
There are many suitable hoods for every individual need. You can fall back to a variety of test reports, which are now available to hoods that can help in the purchase decision or even more confusion. Therefore, it is important to inform yourself in advance sufficiently about the operation of cooker hoods and to determine in advance what requirements must be met by the appropriate cooker hood to meet their own wishes. Depending on the field of application, there are still numerous models that have changed over the years away from the once cumbersome and unsightly cooker hoods to numerous designs that integrate into any modern designer kitchen.
The extractor hood on the hob makes a great contribution to cooking pleasure and is an indispensable part of modern cooking. Whether classic extractor hood, island hood, Wandesse, trough ventilation or edge suction – as exotic as their names sound, For extraction hoods, however, a distinction must be made between extract air and recirculation extractor. Exhaust hoods characterize the shape of the hood, where the greasy air is filtered and banned from the kitchen and even out of the house by a pipe.
Exhaust air hoods and their properties
In this form of air filtration, the diameter of the exhaust pipe must be taken into account. Under no circumstances may it be too low, otherwise smooth operation can no longer be guaranteed. Caution should be exercised with “open” fire in the apartment, because gas stoves, fireplaces and wood stoves require special attention in conjunction with extractor hoods. When all doors and windows are closed and the extractor hood is running, it draws air out of the room. This air exchange is often compensated from the chimney. This can happen when there is a fire in the fireplace the smoke is drawn inside to the living area. In order to avoid negative pressure, there are some important points to note in this regard. Technological innovations can help by, for example, only allowing the hood to operate when a window is opened or otherwise preventing a negative pressure effect.
- High airflow volume, high efficiency
- The moisture produced during cooking is led to the outside
- External fan for noise reduction possible.
- No additional costs for activated carbon filters
- Compared to the identical model with recirculation mode, the exhaust air operation is somewhat quieter.
- Execution of constructional, externally visible measures
- Installation costs and costs are higher than with a circulating air hood
- The air volume depends on the design of the exhaust air path (especially shape, length, diameter, bends and branches)
- During the cold season, heat loss can occur
Extractor hoods with circulating air
In addition to the extractor hood with exhaust air, there is the extractor hood in recirculation mode. The functionality is simple: The grease-smeared and odour-intensive air that is produced during cooking is sucked in by the air circulation hood and neutralized with an active charcoal filter before it gets back into the kitchen cleanly. Practically, the extractor hood with recirculation is especially for passive houses and so-called low-energy houses. This type of extractor hood is also suitable for houses with open fireplaces, without having to open a window during operation.
- Very easy installation
- No structural changes necessary
- Energetic losses do not occur
- The moisture remains in the room, additional ventilation is necessary. In winter, this can lead to heat loss.
- The activated carbon filter must be cleaned or replaced regularly. This leads to higher maintenance and additional costs.
- The activated charcoal filter causes pressure losses, which may greatly reduce the airflow rate of the device.
- Compared to the identical model with exhaust air operation, the recirculation mode is somewhat louder due to the additional activated carbon filter.
What to pay attention to when buying a cooker hood
The operation of an extractor fan depends on the width of the hob below and on the selected distance between the hob and the extractor hood. For this reason, hoods should slightly overlay the hob. This is especially true for island hoods, as their stronger air movements can distract the arsenic produced during cooking. If it is not possible for reasons of space that the cooker hood is wider than the hob, a hood should be used with Randabsaugung. For cooktops with high heat, such as gas cooktops, deep fryers or grills, create high temperatures that accelerate the steam and quickly push up. So that the vapours are optically trapped and discharged, an extractor hood with flat suction should be preferred for the hobs.
- Matching to the cooking surface: The design of the cooker hood greatly influences the way the cooker hood works. The flatter the hood screen is designed, the higher the back pressures on the blower. Modern extractor hoods, therefore, offer a variety of design options. However, if a high degree of efficiency is to be achieved, design and form should be adapted to the cooking area.
- Pay attention to the filter: In the majority of extractor hoods, the grease contained in the cooking water is removed with the aid of metal grease filters. These filters must be cleaned regularly by hand or in the dishwasher. However, there are also filterless extractor hoods, where the fat is collected in a wipeable collecting pan. If you use extractor hoods with recirculation mode, you should also use odour filters.
- Operating the device: There are various ways of operating the device with hoods. Cooker hoods are equipped either with a rotary or slide switch, with push buttons, touch operation or with a remote control.
- Energy consumption of the extractor fan Since 2016, extractor hoods must also carry the so-called “energy label”. It allows consumers to quickly compare energy consumption. Since 2016 cooker hoods have been divided into the energy efficiency classes A + (best class) to F (worst class). Particularly efficient devices can also be labelled with A ++. The classification is based on annual electricity consumption in kWh. This takes into account an average operating time of one hour per day, an average lighting time of two hours per day and the energy consumption in standby mode. The actual energy consumption depends on the use of the device in the household.
Noise as an important factor
There are people who do not mind loud noises. Others, in turn, are sensitive to noise and sometimes suffer very much from the noise, such as the monotonous noise of an extractor hood. For many buyers of cooker hoods, therefore, the volume is an important factor in the purchase decision. In the run-up, you should, therefore, clarify which requirements the cooker hood needs to meet. There are now a number of hoods that work very quietly because the technology has changed a lot over the past 20 years and adapted to the needs of interested parties.
Should it really smoke and steam in the kitchen, the air must be sucked off strongly, and a temporary break in the conversation can not always be avoided? Unfortunately, it is still not possible today Even with cooker hoods, there is a DIN standard in terms of volume, which is measured in decibels and specified for minimum and maximum values. A normal interpersonal conversation has a volume of 60 decibels. This guideline can help you to buy a new hood because a value of up to 60 decibels is on an acceptable level and is sought by many manufacturers. At 72 dB, the communication could be a bit more problematic.
Extractor hoods in various forms
Today’s cooker hoods are no longer just a purely functional log standing in the kitchen. Most of them are designed to effortlessly integrate into almost any kitchen, whether classic or modern. In addition, hoods are available in many designs. There are island hoods, undercover hoods, wall lunches and hoods, intermediate and plug-in hoods, which are integrated under a wall unit or in a kitchenette. These can either sit over the stove or be pulled out if necessary. Furthermore, there are hoods that are not mounted horizontally to the stove but are mounted diagonally on the wall. These so-called head-free or wall hoods have an angle that prevents the head from being pushed.
This form of extractor hood is particularly suitable for attic and attic apartments, as the hoods can be attached to the sloping roof. For large and open kitchens or even for living kitchens, the stove is often placed free-standing. In such cases, island hoods are often used. They hang from the ceiling and are mounted directly there. Island Hoods have in contrast to other Hood models also higher performance, since the distance to the stove is greater. Depending on the manufacturer, the output is between 800 and 900 m3 / h. Detached stoves offer even more possibilities because in some houses so-called lift pins are hung over the stove, which are attached to thin steel cables, which in turn are anchored to the ceiling.
The height of the lift caps can be adjusted individually, which is why the lift caps are only available as air circulation hoods. There are countless design versions of the lift hoods. They are available in almost every shape and colour and in the kitchen a real eye-catcher. Some manufacturers also offer their customers table hoods that disappear in the stove or in the work surface. In addition, there are vendors who let the cooker hood directly into the stove. In this way, vapours and odours can not rise at all. An intake gland suppresses the vapours. It supports both recirculation and exhaust air systems.
Checklist to buy the matching cooker hood
Which hood type are you? Many consumers are asking themselves if you are considering buying a fume hood. It is clear that the hood must not only visually match the house or apartment, but also the structural condition of the kitchen must be considered. The question as to what extent the budget for a new range hood is sufficient must also be answered. You can use the following checklist to buy the right extractor hood:
- Dimensions of the hoods: When you buy the hood, it should not be larger or smaller than the hob. When attaching the hood to the wall, it is important to consider the width and height of the niche in which the new hood is to be fitted. For flat screen, base and installation hoods, the respective cabinet dimensions are important. Conventional cooker hoods have the dimensions 90 centimetres in width and 60 centimetres in width. Island hoods and lift caps usually have individual dimensions. They hang from the corner and in many cases are either round or angular.
- Performance of the extractor hoods: In addition to the shape and design, you should, of course, pay attention to the performance of the hood, which is usually stated on the data sheets as cubic meters (m3) per hour (h). It makes sense to have the highest possible blower output, which is determined by the diameter of the exhaust pipe. The higher the diameter of the pipe, the better the take-off performance. In addition, the length and curvature of the pipe play an important role. The shorter the pipe and the cleaner it is, the higher and more efficient the cooker hood will be.
- Intensive level of the extractor hoods: When cooking produces heavy vapours, an intensive level may be useful for temporary intermeshing. The intensive levels automatically switch off again for most extractor hoods. This booster, which brings the maximum power from the hood, on the one hand, consumes more energy, on the other hand, it creates a higher noise. However, the intensive level is very useful as it gives you fresh air in the kitchen.
- Sensor automatic with extractor hoods: Nothing is better than working comfortably in the kitchen. If that’s all you need, think about speed control with sensors before buying an exhaust hood. Depending on the evolution of steam, the blower output is automatically controlled. In addition, this circuit is environmentally friendly and it consumes no more energy than actually necessary.
- Pay attention to the volume: The kitchen is the most social and communicative room in the house or apartment. In addition to eating and drinking, there is a lot going on here and in good company, there is a lot of chatting. Unnecessary noise pollution is only a hindrance and disturbing. When buying a cooker hood, it is important to pay attention to the decibel specifications of the manufacturer. Noise-reducing models are already available between 40 to 45 decibels, but on average the models with a fume hood are around 60 decibels. However, many hoods that are operated with circulating air also easily reach 75 decibels, whereby the volume is similar to a washing machine in the spin cycle. Therefore, you should keep your eyes open when buying.
- Further checklist points at a glance
- Which filter system has the extractor hood? Are metal fat filters or activated carbon filters used and how expensive is the purchase of the filters?
- Which energy efficiency class does the extractor hood I have selected? Which class is the best? Which the worst? This information is important for power consumption and your own wallet
- Which lighting system does the extractor hood have? Here you can choose between LED and halogen lighting.
There are a lot of things to keep in mind that are important for buying the right range hood. Shape and design must match the performance and the particular living situation. If everything is right, there is nothing in your way to buy.
The five most frequently asked questions about cooker hoods
- Why does the motor of my cooker hood have no function even though the appliance displays the blower level? If the engine of the cooker hood stops working, but the smoke hood LEDs indicate the blower levels, you most likely have a so-called window contact switch or vacuum switch. Both devices cut off power to the motor and must be started up properly. For a window contact switch, this means that the batteries in the transmitter must not be emptied and that the transmitter must be mounted above all on the window. If such a window contact switch is present, proceed as follows: First, disconnect the hood from the power supply and replace the battery in the transmitter with a new one. Please read the instructions: the LED on the transmitter must flash green. In no case should the frequency be changed? Then you need to power the cooker hood again. Then install the two-part transmitter at the window.
- Why are the LEDs on the cooker hood flashing? If several hood LEDs are flashing, this is most likely due to the so-called grease filter saturation indicator. Experts recommend in this case a 14-day cleaning of the grease filter. As a reminder, after fourteen hours of engine use, the four LEDs flash for five minutes, indicating that the grease filter should be cleaned. After cleaning and drying, the filter is replaced. A reset must be performed by holding down the minus button on the circuit for 5 seconds.
- How is the grease filter maintained? Depending on the duration of use, but at least every 2 weeks, the grease filter should be removed and cleaned. To do this, pull down the stainless steel base plate and remove the grease filter by pulling it down by the handle. The filter can be cleaned in the dishwasher or in boiling water with degreasing detergents. Colour changes are possible, especially if a lot of dirt is removed. After cleaning, the filter should dry.
- How is the monobloc carbon filter regenerated? The engine block can be regenerated up to twelve times. The filter is removed and placed in the oven for about one hour at 120 degrees Celsius. The kitchen should be ventilated, otherwise, there will be an odour.
- How should the cooker hood be cleaned? First, the lamps should be cooled, which may take some time. For cleaning, a damp cloth and a detergent should be used. Under no circumstances should scouring agents and hard sponges be used. In addition, care should be taken that no liquids run into the device, such as the circuit.