On average, parents wrap their child up to 5000 times. It sometimes takes 3-5 years until the kids get along without diapers. All the more important is the selection of the right diaper that fits the age, the individual needs and the sensitive skin. Basically, we distinguish reusable and disposable diapers. The majority of parents want skin-friendly, super-comfortable comfort from the dry brand diapers, which can be easily changed in a few simple steps.
At STERN.de we supply a diaper comparison that compares the leading brands and known diapers. In a subsequent guide the most important criteria that you should consider when buying follow as well as recommendations for a sore popo or diaper rash. So you are guaranteed to buy the right diaper in future and will not take any unnecessary risks.
Top 10 Diapers
- LockAway Channels absorb wetness and lock it away
- Breathefree Liner helps soothe and protect baby's skin
- Soft flexi-sides for comfortable fit
- Pampers is the #1 pediatrician recommended brand
- Protect your baby’s skin with 5 layers of protection and up to 12 hours of dryness
- New and improved Dual Leak-Guard Barriers help protect where leaks happen most
- Weight Recommendation: 8 to 14 Pounds. Nightlock Technology locks away wetness for upto 12 hours of overnight protection
- Super soft on baby's skin for a comfy feel
- Wetness Indicator (packaging may vary) turns blue when wet, telling you when your baby needs a change
- Huggies Little Movers baby diapers size 5 fit babies 27+ lb. (12+ kg)
- #1 Fitting Diaper* features 5-Way Fit System with contoured shape to move with baby & virtually eliminate leaks (*Wet Fit, Among Open Diapers)
- DryTouch Liner absorbs wetness on contact & Leak Lock System helps prevent leaks for up to 12 hours
- Pampers Pure Protection diapers are crafted with thoughtfully chosen materials for dry and healthy skin
- Absorbent plant-based liner. Plant-based and polypropylene fiber, enriched with shea butter to help protect skin
- Hypoallergenic and free of chlorine bleaching, fragrance, parabens, and latex* (*Natural rubber)
- Huggies Snug & Dry diapers size 1 fit babies 8-14 lb. (4-6 kg)
- Up to 12 Hours of Day or Night Protection – Huggies trusted Leak Lock System helps prevent leaks for up to 12 hours, day or night
- Absorbs in Seconds – Huggies Snug & Dry absorbs wetness in seconds to help keep baby dry & comfortable, plus wetness indicator
- 132 size 5 diapers for babies 27+ lbs (12+ kg); Each pack contains both solid white and polka dot print
- First-time users, consider getting the size your cub currently wears. If the fit is snug, size up (which provides extra absorbency)
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested
- LockAway Channels absorb wetness and lock it away
- Breathefree Liner helps soothe and protect baby's skin
- Soft flexi-sides for comfortable fit
- Huggies Little Snugglers baby diapers size newborn fit babies 35+ lb. (16+ kg)
- GentleAbsorb Liner provides absorbent layer of protection with premium softness & breathability for sensitive skin
- Huggies' Pocketed Waistband helps prevent diaper blowouts & contains the mess
- Includes: 8 Pampers Sensitive Perfume Free Pop-Top Packs (72 ct) and 4 Pampers Sensitive Perfume Free Refill Packs (72 ct), all bundled together for...
- Our exclusive one-wipe dispensing pop-top prevents unwanted wipes from coming out of the pack
- #1 Choice of U S Hospitals based on hospital sales data
Why do children wear diapers?
The answer to the question is probably obvious. Children wear a diaper to keep them dry through the day. In recent years, a wide selection of different cloth and finished diapers has spread to a wide variety of baby markets.
Who invented the diaper?
When we talk about today’s diaper, we often refer to the absorbent disposable diaper. Finally, there are different variants, such as the classic fabric or the equivalent of textile-like fabric that ensures a particularly hygienic intake of faeces and urine and ends up in the bin. The inventor is Marion Donovan. She could not market her first draft of a diaper. The company Chux has brought the diaper in the USA, as we know it today, from 1961 on the market. Even though this was a groundbreaking innovation, Chux was not able to land on commercial success and was replaced by Victor Mills. Most people are familiar with this new diaper on the market today under the name of the Protector & Gamble brand Pampers.
Advantages and disadvantages of disposable diapers:
- Easy winding
- Clean and 100% hygienic
- Velcro straps and elastic cuffs
- leakage protection
- Maximum dryness up to 12 hours
- Micro Pearls for a dry skin feeling
- High waist
- Increased risk of sore butt
- Often more expensive than reusable diapers
What does a diaper consist of?
In principle, we distinguish disposable diapers from reusable diapers. In some product groups and criteria, the diapers are similar, so both species are primarily clean and pleasant to the skin. Finally, the differences mainly in material and structure. Construction of the diaper, simply explained
- The classic disposable diaper, disposable diaper or pants diaper on the outside is made of polyethene – short PE in combination with a powerful absorbent body.
- This is due to a special pulp material that is based on a superabsorbent in modern diaper types.
- This absorber was enriched with polymer salts by the manufacturer to increase its performance. In this way, it is possible for a diaper core to take up the multiple of its own weight of liquid and to reliably bind it to itself.
- The function can be compared with a sponge.
- On the outside are velcro straps that secure the diaper softly but securely to the body. You can best compare the disposable diaper with a sponge. Through a special outer shell and plastic film, the liquids where they belong, stay inside the diaper.
- Aloe vera extracts,
- Stearyl alcohol.
Unlike disposable diapers, we can wash and reuse the reusable diapers. Again, there are various components. The biggest difference is the combination of the absorbent layer with the moisture protection layer, which is made of fleece or PUL or wool.
- In the all-in-one diapers, the manufacturers have sewn the components together and
- in a pocket diaper packed in a bag.
- The all-in-2 diapers or the hybrid diapers put their absorbent liner in the tabs of a pants, which is attached to the outer wall. Then the whole thing can be combined with an all-in-3 diaper.
Step by step instructions: How to change a diaper?
We attach a diaper around the hips and crotch. It is worn similar to a pair of underpants. So you can safely prevent the fouling of clothing, ensure the daily hygiene and make it easier for the little ones to clean. Actually every pregnant woman learns from the midwife in the birth preparation how she can wrap her baby later. But you will soon find that it makes a difference to wrap a doll or a real baby. It’s perfectly normal to be a bit unsure at first. After all, very few babies are excited when they get dressed and undressed. One more reason to choose clothes that can be easily removed and put on with push buttons. The same standards apply to the diaper selection.
- Place your baby on the changing table on a soft, soft surface. Carefully pull off your clothes and talk calmly to your baby.
- Sometimes it can help if you sing a quiet song or run soothing melodies in the background.
- Carefully open the old diaper. Wipe the chair off the butt with the dry side of the diaper or use soft toilet paper. Even old, clean diapers or Molton rag help with the cleaning.
- Is just a little urine in the diaper, you can easily remove the diaper and then gently clean the anal and genital area?
- A particularly gentle grip technique for the cleansing of the head and the genitals is the grip around the leg in the area of the thighs. The second leg finds a safe place on the mom’s arm.
- Use lukewarm water to clean sensitive skin and avoid soap. It would attack the natural acidity of the skin.
- Only use wet wipes if you can not help it. Often it is sufficient to add a few drops of oil into the water.
- Always clean the genitals of girls and boys from the front to the back. Otherwise, intestinal bacteria could enter the organism.
- Do not pull the foreskin back for cleaning with young boys, it only dissolves when you are about three years old.
- When the butt is completely dry, you can put on the new diaper. For this place, the diaper under the buttocks, lead the front part between the legs upwards and close the Velcro closures.
- Take your time and go ahead.
Where to dispose of diapers?
Just as you are wrapping a baby, you should immediately dispose of the diaper in an airtight protected and closed trash can. Here, the diaper folds like a small package. Especially the practical disposable diapers bring an extra with their Velcro closures, which fold and seal the whole thing. With a little practice, these handles are easy to handle.
Why is the diaper running out?
The leakage of a diaper can have different causes. For one thing, you have bought an inappropriate diaper for your baby that is too big. On the other hand, the diaper is overfilled, so that the absorbent core has reached its limits. You do not have to worry, a leaking diaper occurs in the best families. Often you have not wrapped the diapers tight enough or it is a bit too long. When wrapping little boys, the penis should point downwards. Otherwise, something can already go up. If the angles run out more often, you may have opted for the wrong diaper size.
What does a diaper cost on average?
Calculate the costs that will come to you in the first years before birth. So you can logically assess your financial resources and the family budget. New parents need a lot of diapers in the first few months. Thus, the cost of purchasing diapers and food are among the crucial costs in the family fund. Often, the diaper purchase with 35-50 euros a month to book. A good 10-50 euros are at the expense of the care products you need for a baby.
What weighs a diaper?
Who once makes fun, and puts an empty diaper in contrast to a full diaper on the scales, comes to amazing results. Thus, most empty and clean diapers come to a low weight of 30-50 grams, whereas a full diaper after a whole night can often weigh up to 250 grams. One more reason to regularly check the diapers. Many parents not only recognize the smell, but also the feeling of something inside.
Which diaper suits me?
Now we should find a diaper that really fits your child. The decision between reusable and disposable diapers is a fundamental decision. So it is not surprising that reusable diapers are more sustainable to use, but many times more work. From the very beginning, make a realistic estimate of whether you are prepared to accept this extra effort. Basically, a diaper irritates the baby skin. Because it comes less air to the skin. If you notice a particularly strong redness on baby’s Popo, there is skin irritation. In some cases, fungi or diaper rash may result. False hygiene is not always the cause. Even badly fitting diapers or food increase the risks of this disease. During this time, the children should have the opportunity to kick and letting the air down.
Which diaper to use for newborns?
Meanwhile, there are special diapers for newborns. At Pampers, for example, these are the new baby diapers, which hold the chair very well through an internal net. From the size of the handle goes to the smallest size. This should be enough for the first few weeks. An exception is preemies. Here are the first diapers in the hospital and then special diapers for newborns, which are selected in the smallest size.
Which diaper on a sore butt?
Skin irritation and a sore butt are some of the common diseases of newborns and babies. In this case, you should switch to sensitive diapers and omit them several times a day. So the skin comes in contact with air and can heal. Avoid unnecessary care products that cause further skin irritation.
Which diaper in case of diarrhoea?
For parents, it is not so easy to detect diarrhoea in newborns and babies. Especially since the normal faeces is already very fluid. One of the most common symptoms of diarrhoea is a particularly frequent dropping of faeces, which is very fluid inconsistency. Even an unusual and extremely intense smell can be a sign of diarrhoea.
When should you change a diaper?
At the beginning, it is recommended to check the diaper every 2-3 hours. It is best to change the diapers immediately after each bowel movement. Especially if the newborns suffer from diarrhoea-deficient bowel movements, you should resort to high-quality diapers and change them as often as possible. Otherwise, skin irritation and a sore bottom can be the result. A dry butt and very frequent diaper changes will help you avoid inflammation. Within the next 24 hours, it is perfectly normal to change diapers 6-10 times in newborns.
An active bowel movement or discharge of faeces and urine are a sign of a functioning digestive system. A newborn has an immature bladder muscle. This means that the babies can not hold the urine and often need up to 10 fresh diapers per day. Later, this bladder muscle develops, so it is sufficient for the babies to change five to six times the diapers. They should strive to interrupt sleep as little as possible. Just a quiet night is the first basis for a happy baby.
What ends up in the diaper?
In most cases, stool and urine end up in the diaper. Between several times a day and weekly, babies who are breastfed drop off bowel movements. Others can make good use of breast milk and only rarely divorced. The faeces of breastfed children are usually pale yellow and thin. He can also turn greenish once. That’s no reason to worry. Later, when the babies receive pre-nourishment, the stool has a similar consistency and often smells very intense and sometimes even unpleasant.
When do diapers omit at night?
It is one of the last steps, the diaper at night to leave out. Then your child should go to the bathroom reliably throughout the day. If you want to stay clean all night, you should find the potty in the evening or at night.
How can you tell that the diaper is too small?
In most cases, too small an angle can not close so well. The Velcro closures sit on the outside of the edge of the diaper or it comes out more faeces. This is one of the clearest signs that the diaper does not bring enough volume for the child. To find the right diaper size, you should definitely take a look at the leaflet package leaflet. The manufacturers give mostly clear indications, for which
- what weight and
- which age
the respective diaper is suitable.
How to get rid of diapers at night?
It is one of the last steps to put the kids to bed at night without diapers. In principle, there are various signs that your child is ready to come through the day or night without diapers. Often the children are all by themselves interested in the toilet or the potty. There are a number of children’s books that playfully deal with the subject and help parents to get their children dry. But you should not see it too cramped. Thanks to the diaper panties for 3- to 4-year-olds, you do not take such a big risk when, for example, in the first diaper-free time you make a trip with a diaper. For the first few nights, it makes sense to leave out the diaper and a mattress on the mattress to lay. If something goes wrong then, you do not have to wash the whole bed.