In most families, the dishwasher runs at least once a day. This makes this home appliance one of the most important helpers in the kitchen. Hardly anyone can imagine cleaning dishes, glasses, cups and pots by hand. In addition to the enormous time savings score the modern dishwasher with a minimum energy and water consumption. If you take a little more time to select the right dishwasher, you benefit from individual settings and smart washing programs.
Partially integrable, built-under, single- flush or deco-compatible: In the following guide, we explain the most important technical terms and criteria that decide when buying a dishwasher. In addition, we present you the best dishwasher in comparison. The main focus is on the energy and water consumption, the programs and the innovative functions that pay off in everyday kitchen life. Whether the Stiftung Warentest has already carried out a dishwasher test, we tell you at the end of the guide.
Top 10 Dishwashers
- Compact design: This convenient dishwasher has a 6-place setting capacity, making it ideal for small-sized houses, apartments, dorms, boats and...
- Six-place setting: the six-place setting capacity allows you to wash a variety of dishes (up to 10-inches in diameter) and includes folding down rack...
- Quick installation: Features a quick connect assembly with accessories and adapters included to easily connect directly to your faucet
- Filtration System - Self-cleaning filter eliminates food particles, keeping dishes clean.
- Stay-Put Door - The door stays put at whatever angle you open it for easy loading and unloading.
- Heated Drying System - Heating element helps dry your dishes the first time.
- Your purchase includes One Danby Countertop Dishwasher, DDW621WDB model | Hoses and faucet adaptor fits standard North American faucets
- Dishwasher dimensions – 21.65” W x 19.69” D x 17.24” H | Depth with door open – 32” | Weight – 46.30 lbs. | Voltage – 115V | Cord...
- Program your cycle to start around your schedule, chose from 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours
- Built-in, top-mount
- 6 Wash Programs: Normal, Heavy, Energy, Glass, Quick, Rinse
- HEATING function during drying cycle
- QUALITY CONTROL NOTE All dishwashers are factory tested to ensure proper operation As a result it is normal for small amounts of residual water to be...
- COMPACT DESIGN: This convenient dishwasher can fit a variety of dishes (up to 12-inches in diameter at an angle) and is ideal for small-sized houses,...
- NO HOOKUPS NEEDED: If you want the advantage of portability and storage, this dishwasher gives you the choice to fill the built-in tank so you don't...
- Accommodates up to eight (8) place settings and features a silverware basket and cup tray
- Six (6) Wash Cycles: Heavy, Normal, ECO, Glass, Rapid, and Rinse; Three (3) Options: Sanitize, Hi Temp, Heated Dry
- At only 17.75 inches wide, using this unit to replace an older appliance such as a trash compactor is a great option.
- 24'' Built-In Dishwasher Black Stainless Steel Practical has never looked so stylish with Black Stainless Steel, a beautiful new finishBladeSpray Arm...
- Black Stainless Steel Practical has never looked so stylish with Black Stainless Steel, a beautiful new finish.
- Heated Dry Heating element helps dry your dishes the first time.
- CLEANS AS YOU GO - A convenient and small Energy Star certified dish washing machine for cleaning the dishes after dinner or cooking. Simply load the...
- USER FRIENDLY CONTROLS - With simple to use control panel and light indicators. Program selector has 6 wash cycle options: heavy, normal, ECO, glass,...
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED - Features a quick connect assembly with accessories including inlet and drain hose and a faucet adapter for water lines that are...
- SD-9263W: 18″ Energy Star Portable Dishwasher - WHITE
- Capacity: 8 place setting
- 6 Wash programs: Heavy, Normal, Eco, Glass, 90 Min, Rapid
- 【EASY TO INSTALL】This countertop dishwasher supports 2 water supply modes, including a water tank mode and faucet mode, for your selection. For...
- 【5 WASHING PROGRAMS】This NOVETE dishwasher offers 5 wash cycle options - Normal, Speed, ECO, Baby Care/Heavy, and Fruit. The water temperature...
- 【DRY/STORAGE MODE】The Dry mode can be used to keep your dishes clean and dry. 60 minutes of hot air drying and 72 hours of automatic intermittent...
When does a dishwasher make sense?
In the meantime, kitchen sinks and dishwashers share a drain in almost all kitchens and do the cleaning of plates, cups, glasses, pans, bowls and pots. Hardly anyone would like to invest time in washing dishes by hand. It is convenient to place the dishes in the dishwasher basket in a few moments and activate the next cycle at the push of a button. The innovative devices not only avoid rinsing hands. They are able to recoup their own purchase price. In fact, you can save money with the right dishwasher. The leading manufacturers such as Beko, Bauknecht and Bosch are investing in the development of innovative technologies that use sensors to calculate the same amount of energy and water needed for the next wash cycle.
The dishwasher we distinguish different types. There are free-standing, semi-integrated, fully integrated dishwashers, under-counter dishwashers and table-top dishwashers. All types work according to one principle: You put your dirty dishes and cutlery in the dishwasher to take it out clean and dry after the rinsing process. Rather, your own kitchen and capacity make the difference that decides when buying a dishwasher.
Advantages & Disadvantages of the dishwasher:
- Economical in water and energy consumption
- High time savings: Efficient cleaning performance
- Broad range of programs
- Thorough cleaning of dishes, cutlery, glasses and pots
- Clear LC display
- From energy efficiency class A ++ relatively high purchase price
- Eco programs with a running time of up to 4 hours
- Large dishwashers take up a lot of space in the kitchenette
FAQ: The most important questions about the dishwasher
When was the first dishwasher available?
The invention of the dishwasher dates back to the year 1886 and Josephine Cochrane. The US American filed a patent for a dishwasher that used water pressure to clean cutlery and dishes. Officially, the first dishwasher in Chicago at the 1893 World’s Fair saw the light of day. So here we are dealing with a relatively new invention, but it has considerably simplified the entire household routine.
What temperature reaches a dishwasher?
In the standard washing programs and in the main wash program, the temperatures of most dishwashers are between 65 and 70 degrees Celsius. So some dishwashing detergents need a certain temperature before they can develop their full cleaning effect. You should take a look at the leaflet to select the appropriate program and flush away any grease and debris.
How much does a load in the dishwasher cost me?
Especially modern devices work in very high energy efficiency classes and consume minimal amounts of energy and water per run. In fact, many consumers here appreciate and still think they would be better advised to wash by hand. However, investing in an innovative dishwasher helps everyday life become more efficient. A full charge should, therefore, be at prices of about 0.50 euros. This includes the detergents, the water and the energy. Not to be underestimated is the saving of time, when they no longer stand at the sink, but only press a button.
Which dishwasher types are there?
- Free-standing dishwasher: Freestanding dishwashers are also referred to as floor washers. This type of dishwasher you set everywhere regardless of your own kitchen, provided electricity and water are available. In contrast to the competition, you can use the shelf with the freestanding dishwasher. One of the key features of freestanding appliances is their desirability. In this case, the device cover can be removed and adapted to the dimensions and the material and the panels in the kitchen.
- Undercounter dishwasher: Undercounter dishwashers are delivered without cover plate. That is, the dishwasher is integrated into the kitchen unit, but no furniture door can be attached to the front cover. If the front is not integrated in the kitchen, it falls out of line in the design. As a rule, there are the dishwashers in stainless steel look or with white front. The control panel is visible on this dishwasher and can best be operated as a touch screen or via large buttons.
- Fully integrated built-in appliance: We are talking about a built-in appliance if we do not place the dishwasher freely in the room but integrate it into the kitchen unit. The front area of the dishwasher is provided with a furniture door so that the dishwasher disappears completely in the kitchen optics. The control panel is located at the top of the unit and is visible only after the door has been opened. Accordingly, the fully integrated dishwasher does not need a separate child safety device.
- Semi-integrated built-in unit: In semi-integrated dishwashers, the operating element is visible and freely accessible. Nevertheless, the dishwasher fits into the kitchen and is not particularly noticeable. Some semi-integrated dishwashers are decorable.
- Decorable built-in unit: In this case, you have the option to install a decor panel with a thickness of 3 to 4 millimetres on the front. This is how the devices adapt to the design of your kitchen. This is not necessary with other dishwashers as they already have an elegant stainless steel look. If you change from an old to a new dishwasher, the desirability is always necessary if you want to put the existing decorative plate on the new device.
- Table dishwasher: The table dishwasher convinces by its compact size. It takes up little space and can be placed in the kitchen to save space. Table dishwashers are suitable for single households.
What is a place setting?
A place setting is a set number of cutlery and dishes. In accordance with EN 50242, we are dealing with a standardized size that has been measured in advance and codified. This allows you to compare the capacity of the dishwasher.
What sizes are there with dishwashers?
The common standard of dishwashers comes in width to 60 centimetres and fits into most kitchens. In any case, the new dishwasher should fit the worktop and cabinet. If the device width drops to 45 centimetres, we speak of a mini dishwasher. These special devices were designed for a single household. Upwards, the capacity increases according to the number of users, so that extended families also have the opportunity to find the right size for the dishwasher.
Which dishwasher height to choose?
What connections do I need for a dishwasher?
Before opening the valve, place a bucket below it. Finally, some water can run out. Use a pipe wrench for this purpose and then screw this valve tight. The fresh tap water enters the dishwasher via the supply hose. The dirty rinse water flows through the drain hose directly into the drain of the sink. Again, there is a corresponding outflow. If this connection is missing, an intermediate piece between siphon and drain can be integrated.
How much water does a dishwasher use?
A rinse requires about 5 to 7 litres of water. When rinsing by hand, it is between 13 and 15 litres. Are then still fat-smear pans or pots here, increases the water consumption in hand washing. To the same extent, the amount of detergent increases by rinsing by hand. In the dishwasher, it does not matter how many grease-smeared pots are included in the rinse cycle. It is by no means the case that longer rinse times on the dishwasher automatically result in higher water consumption. Statistics have shown that flushing by hand consumes about 5,500 litres of water per year. So much more than the dishwasher needs.
Buying guide dishwasher: What should be considered?
The size of the dishwasher is one of the main factors when it comes to choosing a dishwasher. Dishwashers with a width of 45 centimetres are suitable for smaller families, while the dishwasher with a width of 60 centimetres are ideal for a family of 4. Last but not least, capacity utilization plays an important role. In this context, you should determine the respective flushing volumes and orientate yourself at the purchase of the capacities of the devices.
The energy efficiency class: What consumes the dishwasher?
The energy efficiency class makes it easy for consumers to compare their respective consumption levels. According to the specifications of the European Union, the manufacturers are obliged to mark the devices with the EU energy label. Since 1998, this indicator is clearly visible on a number of household appliances. If you buy a dishwasher today, you can also logically assess consumption based on the EU energy consumption label. In the electrical supply chain, you can easily see the energy rating of the device on the front or top of the device. Devices with efficiency classes A ++ and A +++ belong to the household appliances with a low consumption.
The energy class determine the manufacturer in relation to the eco-program of the dishwasher. The austerity programs score with a shorter duration and correspondingly lower energy and water consumption than the intensive program. The product data sheet of the dishwasher gives you more detailed information, which you can find in the online shop via the detailed product description. Here you will find the power consumption, the water consumption, the maximum load and the drying efficiency class.
Equipment of the dishwasher
In the interior, there are sometimes enormous differences. The common standard in most cases includes the cutlery basket, which fits in the lower part of the student. Other devices use a cutlery drawer. Particularly useful are the adjustable baskets, because so also soup pots and pans find their place in the dishwasher. As a rule, the dishwashers are equipped with so-called “rows of spikes” in which you can insert smaller plates or saucers. Fold the rows of barbs, you will get a flat shelf if necessary. Place the plates in parallel rows in the respective rows of plates so that you can thoroughly clean them during the next round. The individual plates should not touch each other or lie directly on top of each other. Make sure that the cleaner and the hot water are really every cutlery part.
Noise level of the dishwasher
The volume of the dishwasher is a purchase criterion. If the students run every day, you should not disturb everyday life and best not notice it at all. The manufacturers are working on the lowest possible noise level, which is best not to exceed 46 decibels. An alternative would be to activate the dishwasher at night.
Cleaning: dishwasher does not wash clean
Most problems and mistakes can already be cleared out of the way by the right load. Thus, in the lower basket in most cases, a plastic propeller. This I must be able to move freely in any case. Otherwise, the water can not spread throughout the basket. Now place too high plates or pots in this area and hinder the rotation, does not wash the machine clean. But in most cases, a dirty dishwasher is to blame for the waning performance. In any case, you should clean the entire interior regularly. The dishwasher is actually responsible for the cleanliness in the kitchen but is treated by most users more than caring when it comes to regular cleaning.
How do you best clean a dishwasher?
The following cleaning cycle should let even heavily soiled dishwashers sparkle clean again:
- Sprinkle soda on the bottom of the empty dishwasher.
- Fill vinegar essence into the powder compartment.
- Run the standard program at a high temperature without auditioning.
- After cooling, open the machine. Also, open the kitchen window as there will be strong smelling vinegar vapours.