An egg cooker is a device that can be used to cook from one to seven eggs. To use the device, it must be connected to the mains. Then water is poured in, the eggs are placed on the respective surfaces and the appliance is switched on. Depending on the degree of hardness, the finished eggs can be removed after a few minutes.
There are many egg cookers on the market that differ in terms of functions, quality and other factors. But which egg cooker is the best? At STERN.de we present in our egg cooker comparison 12 egg cookers of different brands in more detail and answer any questions in our guide to egg cookers.
Top 10 Egg Cookers
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Dash Rapid Egg Cooker is the ORIGINAL (and most trusted) egg cooker on the market, for perfect eggs, your way, EVERY TIME, we...
- QUICK + EASY: Short on time? Simply choose your preferred eggs and set the timer. The auto-shut off function prevents overcooking, and the buzzer will...
- VERSATILE: This is the PERFECT appliance for picky eaters, large families, or those who have busy schedules. Hard boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs,...
- SATISFACTION: Dash Deluxe Rapid Egg Cooker is based on the original, most-trusted egg cooker on the market, for perfect eggs your way, every time....
- QUICK + EASY: Short on time? Simply choose your preferred eggs or steamed food and set the timer and the buzzer will alert you when your eggs are...
- VERSATILE: From hard boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs, poached eggs, scrambled eggs, and individual omelets, make them all with the push start button....
- Cooks 10 eggs in shells to a hard, medium or soft consistency with the 600-watt heater
- Poaching tray with 4-egg capacity and omelet tray with 3-egg capacity
- Brushed stainless steel lid; blue LED indicator, audible alert and standby mode
- EASY TO USE: Clear lid for uninterrupted cooking and added convenience. Power switch and ready indicator light lets you know when your eggs are done.
- QUICK RESULTS: 360 watt heating system cooks, boils, and poaches eggs rapidly and evenly. Satisfy your egg cravings faster without having to wait for...
- MEAL PREP ESSENTIAL: Boil up to 7 large eggs and 2 poached eggs at once. Conveniently makes breakfast and meal prep for the whole week simultaneously!
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Your 100% satisfaction is our top priority, we guarantee it! We are so sure you will love your egg cooker that we are offering a...
- SEVEN EGG CAPACITY: Cook up to 7 eggs in soft, medium, or hard boiled firmness, while saving time and water. Eggs come out consistently perfect, shell...
- EASE OF USE: Fill measuring cup with water to desired doneness, press the power button once and within minutes your eggs will be "Egg-Celent!" Fun and...
- Perfect eggs in no time: quickly prepares both poached eggs or soft, medium and hard-boiled eggs
- 7 Egg capacity: make breakfast for the whole family, healthy snacks, Salad toppers, a batch of deviled eggs for a potluck and more
- Versatile: this egg cooker and poacher can make your favorite recipes including eggs benedict, egg salad, deviled eggs and hard, medium or soft-boiled...
- NOW WITH 7 EGGS: Same trusted results as the ORIGINAL egg cooker from Dash but now with 7 eggs! Make perfect eggs, your way, EVERY TIME, we guarantee...
- QUICK + EASY: Short on time? Simply choose your preferred eggs and set the timer The auto-shut off function prevents overcooking, and the buzzer will...
- VERSATILE: This is the PERFECT appliance for picky eaters, large families, or those who have busy schedules 7 hard-boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs, 2...
- 🐧MULTIPURPOSE EGG HOLDER & COOKER: Boiling, storing and serving eggs have never been cooler! Simply insert up to six eggs into their tummies to...
- 🐧HEAT RESISTANT & EASY TO USE: No need to worry about cracking eggs when placing them in the pot or fishing around with a spoon once they’re...
- 🐧ADORABLE EGG STORAGE HOLDER: Store your eggs in style with this funny kitchen gadget and cute penguins hard boiled egg holder. Measuring 5.78 x...
- SATISFACTION: From the creators of the ORIGINAL DASH RAPID EGG COOKER, the egg bite maker now gives you perfect, sous vide style egg bites at home,...
- QUICK + EASY: Short on time? Simply prep your eggs, fill the silicone molds, cook, and eat!
- VERSATILE: This is the PERFECT appliance for picky eaters, those who have busy schedules, meal prep, or follow Keto, Paleo, Gluten Free, or Vegetarian...
- HOW TO USE: *DO NOT USE WITHOUT ALUMINUM INSERTS* Water has to be added (IMPORTANT) before using the Egg Pod. Never use without water. First, remove...
- COOKS TO PERFECTION: The mechanism of the Eggpod is so simple because it’s basically using microwave to boil water, which in turn steams the eggs....
- MULTI-PURPOSE COOKER: One of the special feature of this gadget is it can peel eggs. After cooking, shake it at least 10 times to crack the outer...
How does an egg cooker work?
With an egg cooker, it is possible to cook one to seven eggs at the same time. This egg cookers are usually equipped with three elements. This includes, on the one hand, the use of eggs, in which you can place the eggs exactly. On the other hand, there is an egg cooker from an electric hot plate. There is usually a lid for this. This is often made of plastic. Finally, when the previously set hardness level is reached, the egg cooker will usually sound an acoustic signal. After that, you have to switch off the device. Some models even turn off automatically.
What is better: egg cooker or pot?
Of course, you can also cook eggs with the help of a pot and thus without an egg cooker. You probably already own this, so there are no additional acquisition costs. However, cooking eggs in a pot has a lot of disadvantages. This includes, among other things, the energy consumption. If you look at how much energy is consumed in each egg cooking in the pot and egg cooking in the egg cooker, you will find that the egg cooker is more energy efficient. In addition, egg cooking in a pot requires much more water. In addition to lower energy and water consumption, an electric egg cooker offers some other advantages over a pot:
- Convince an egg cooker in terms of speed. If you cook the eggs in a saucepan, you must first wait until they have heated up and the water they contain. This is not the case with an egg cooker. Instead, the eggs in this unit are heated immediately.
- Furthermore, you do not necessarily have to supervise the egg cooker all the time and control the cooking process. Instead, egg cookers usually work with a beep. If this sounds, the eggs are ready. Some egg cookers even turn off after cooking.
- If you have found the correct setting or the right amount of water, you should remember this well. Because if you use an egg cooker, the result should be about the same every time you keep the setting or amount of water.
The different egg cooker species under the magnifying glass
If you want to buy an egg cooker, you can discover different types of models. Especially popular are the egg cookers, which are regulated by the amount of water. In addition, there is the egg cooker with rotary control and the egg cooker for the microwave. Below we present all three types on STERN.de in detail.
Egg boiler with water volume regulation
In an egg cooker, which regulates the cooking time by the amount of water you have to fill exactly the amount of water that is required for your desired degree of hardness in the cooker. As a result, all the water will be evaporated after the cooking process. As a result, the eggs are no longer nachgaren. In addition, you can often benefit from a shorter cooking time with such an egg cooker. However, since you need a precise amount of water, the intrinsic cost may be higher.
- Often shorter cooking time
- No afterglow
- No water after cooking in the appliance
- Exact dimension of the amount of water necessary
Egg cooker with knob
An electronic egg cooker with rotary knob usually works with a timer. You can adjust the desired degree of hardness with the regulator. The controller is partly multi-level and partly stepless. In most cases, the dial is provided with a scale that has three symbols for soft, medium and hard eggs. An advantage of such an egg cooker is that you always have to fill the same amount of water into the appliance. As a result, you do not have to measure the water exactly. You can also cook the eggs to the minute using an egg cooker with a knob. Another disadvantage is that the eggs often have to cook a little longer. This is usually after the egg boiling water in the device. You should also keep in mind that if you do not bring them out immediately after the cooking process, they will continue to cook and harden quickly.
- Minute accurate egg cooking possible
- No exact water measurement required
- Often longer cooking time
- Water after cooking in the appliance
- Eggs can be left to cook after cooking if not taken directly
Microwave egg cooker
A microwave egg cooker is primarily intended for single households. Because these egg cookers usually only provide space for an egg. An egg cooker for the microwave is usually an egg cup that is closed. This is put into the microwave with the egg for several minutes. What consistency the egg will have after the process depends, among other things, on the microwave power and the cooking time. Egg-cooking with such a device is very easy. In addition, the cooking time is often shorter. Furthermore, you do not have to measure the amount of water exactly when using a microwave egg cooker, just like when using an egg cooker with a rotary knob.
Since these devices are only intended for one egg, they are usually very compact and can be stowed to save space. But even cooking eggs in the microwave has one or the other disadvantage. On the one hand, the egg cooker for the microwave, due to its small size, is not particularly well-suited for households where several people live. On the other hand, you will definitely need a microwave to use such an egg cooker. Using the microwave for egg cooking usually consumes more power. In addition, the probability of the egg bursting is greater in a microwave.
- Stowable to save space
- Usually less cooking time
- Water quantity dimensions not necessary
- Microwave required
- Higher energy consumption
- Small size
- Bursting of ice more likely
Which egg cooker is the best? Overview of relevant purchase criteria
Which egg cooker is good and which egg cooker is the best? To find out, you should pay attention to many factors when buying. We will introduce you to several important criteria on STERN.de below.
- The quality: Of course, the egg cooker should be processed high quality. Also important is the material. If the egg cooker is made of plastic, it should be BPA-free. In addition, a cooking bowl, which is non-stick coated, is advantageous. It is particularly positive when the egg cooker is mostly made of stainless steel.
- The safety: It is advantageous if the egg cooker is equipped with an automatic switch-off. In addition, there should be steam outlet holes on the lid. It is also important that the model offers good quality so that no water can leak. Because if water runs out while the device is turned on, it can be quite dangerous. To find out how good the device is in terms of security, you can, for example, take a look at the customer reviews.
- The egg capacity: The egg capacity varies from model to model. Some models only have room for one egg. In other models, you can cook up to seven eggs at the same time. What capacity is right for you depends on how often you want to cook eggs and how many eggs you want to cook at the same time. For a single household, a small egg cooker for 1 egg or an egg cooker for 2 eggs can be enough. For a family, household is often an egg cooker for 6 to 7 eggs as the best egg cooker in question.
- Handling: As far as handling is concerned, you should take a closer look at the controls. Many devices have an on-off switch. However, there are also models that you can only turn on by plugging in the plug. Cable rewinding is an important aspect of this. Some models are equipped with this, others not. In addition, you should check whether the egg cooker has heat-insulated or temperature-resistant handles. But the shape of the device can also affect the handling. Egg cookers that can hold up to six or up to seven eggs are often round. Rectangular egg cooker, however, can often stow away better.
- The performance: The performance of each model is not very different. It is usually between 350 and 400 watts. Devices with low capacities of one to two eggs usually offer even lower performance.
- The warning light: Most appliances are equipped with a warning light. This is very useful. Because this indicates whether the device is turned on.
- The beep: Many egg cookers have a beep. This sounds when the cooking process is finished and the eggs can be removed in the egg cooker. This beep varies, especially in terms of volume and sound. The volume is often between 50 and 70 decibels (dB). The sound, however, is often a beeping or a deep whirring.
- The Fort cooking level: Some models are equipped with a so-called Fortkochstufe. This is suitable for anyone who wants to cook eggs with different degrees of hardness. Because of this level, you can take out some eggs and let the rest continue to cook.
- The keep-warm function: Some egg cookers on the market have a keep-warm function. Through this hard-boiled eggs can remain in the device. They do not cook further but are merely kept warm. This feature is ideal if you do not want to use the eggs directly.
- The Fried Egg / Scrambled / Omelette Function: If you not only want to cook eggs, but also like to roast fried eggs, for example, a multi-function egg cooker can be optimally suited for you. Using these tools and matching attachments you can, for example, roast fried eggs or scrambled eggs or prepare omelettes.
- The accessories: Many egg cookers are sold with a measuring cup with an eggshell. Especially with an egg cooker, which regulates the cooking time over the amount of water, such an accessory is useful. You should learn about the scale, which amount of water is necessary for which degree of hardness. If, however, it is an egg cooker with a knob, a measuring cup that informs you about the maximum capacity is enough.
Where are egg cookers available?
Eggs are available both on the internet and from local suppliers. If you prefer to buy online, you can look for example at Amazon or Otto for a suitable model. But many egg cooker manufacturers offer their own online shop. For example, you can buy a WMF egg cooker in the WMF online shop. If you would like to buy the egg cooker locally, you can, for example, look around at Media Markt, at Saturn or at other consumer electronics stores. Likewise, many supermarkets and discounters now and then offer egg cookers. But when are egg cookers available from Aldi and Co.? At discount stores and supermarkets, you can often get egg cookers in the first months of the year. Furthermore, you can buy egg cookers in part at drugstores, such as Rossmann.
Find the optimal cooking time when cooking eggs: How it works
If you want to cook eggs, you should know one thing in advance: An ideal cooking time basically does not exist. After all, eggs are natural products that vary in size and texture, for example. Nevertheless, you can orient yourself with regard to the cooking time at some cooking times:
- If you want to cook a hard egg, cook it for about eight to ten minutes.
- If the egg is still soft in the core, it should cook for six to eight minutes.
- For a soft egg, a cooking time of three to five minutes is sufficient.
Please keep in mind that these times are indicative only and the correct cooking time may vary slightly or greatly. The optimum cooking time depends on various factors. These include the size, texture and number of eggs. But the temperature of the eggs also plays a role. It may also be important if the eggs are quenched after cooking or not.
More tips for egg cooking
If you want to cook the eggs without incident and as good as possible, you should note the following tips when cooking eggs:
- It makes sense to pierce the eggs with an egg cutter before cooking. This reduces the likelihood that the eggs will burst. However, you should be careful when inserting, so that the eggshell does not crack.
- When the eggs are cooked you should remove them from the egg cooker. After that, you should rinse it off with cold water. This will prevent the eggs from being finished.
- When the cooking process is finished, you should not remove the eggs immediately. Instead, it is usually advisable to wait about a minute. This will prevent burns. Alternatively, you can use oven gloves.
How can the egg cooker be cleaned?
From time to time you should clean and descale the egg cooker. The following tips can be helpful here:
- After the cooking process, you should remove the egg insert, the lid and all other removable components of the egg cooker and then rinse with water.
- Mostly the heating plate is provided with a non-stick coating. Therefore, do not use items that could scratch this coating for cleaning.
- Furthermore, it is advisable not to use harsh abrasives or other harsh cleansers.
- If you want to remove lime residue from the shell of the egg cooker, you often only need a damp cloth.
- The best thing to do is to descale the egg cooker every now and then. This is achieved by filling the bowl with water and vinegar. You do not have to put on the lid. After that, you should boil the water and the vinegar.
- If an egg has burst, cleaning with citric acid or vinegar is usually sufficient.
Prepare eggs & serve: Different options available
Eggs can be prepared in different ways. For example, you can serve the eggs in an egg cup for breakfast. In addition to this classic variant, there are many more options. These include, for example:
- Hard-boiled eggs can be cut in half and filled with creamy masses, such as mayonnaise.
- It is also possible to enjoy the eggs with different sauces with mustard, horseradish or herbs.
- You can also split the eggs and process them in a salad.
However, you can not only cook eggs in a classic way. Instead, you can also use them to make fried eggs, scrambled eggs and omelettes. We would like to introduce you to these three forms of preparation on STERN.de below:
- Fried egg: If you want to make a fried egg, you have to open the egg and place it in a pan, so that the egg whites and egg yolk form a flat slice. After that, the egg has to be heated. If you want, you can also season this with salt and pepper.
- Scrambled eggs: You have to open the egg first. Consequently, you should whisk the egg whites as well as the egg yolks. Then you can season the whisked egg. Now you have to cook this in a pan.
- Omelette: To make an omelette, you must mix eggs, salt and water or milk. After that, you should heat oil or butter in a pan and, consequently, add the mixture. Now you have to roast the omelette for about eight to ten minutes on low heat. Possibly. you can turn the omelette. You can also season the omelette and / or serve with other ingredients.