It became known through the 80s blockbuster »Back to the Future« as a futuristic, floating skateboard that saved the main actor from difficult situations: the hoverboard. Unfortunately, until today it has not been possible to develop a really floating board, which lives up to its name. The today’s Hoverboards represent on the essentials reduced Segways, handy and with easily steerable wheels equipped.
Not only are you there to transport a person from A to B, they are also a source of fun. The individual models bring different technical sophistication with it: We take a closer look at STERN.de the 13 most popular hoverboards, including well-known brands such as Bluefin, Cool & Fun and Markerboard.
Top 10 Hoverboards
- Shipped from US. - all Sisigad Hoverboard have passed strict electrical test and meet Ul2272 standards to ensure safety. Any issue just feel free to...
- Unique LED & Bluetooth - built-in wireless speaker can be easily connected to portable devices in second, just enjoy your favorite music or books...
- Self BALANCING control system - Full of technology and easy to learn for beginners and amateurs.
- Non-Slip Rubber Footpads- Ultra Bright Color Changing LED Lights- Light-up LED Wheels.
- Battery life indicator - MSDS & UN 38. 3 tested - UL 2272 Certified- UL Certified Power Adapter.
- 2 x 200W Motor- Max distance: 6 miles - Max speed: 7 mph - Max weight: 220 lb - Max incline Climb: 10°
- ▶▶SECURITY GUARANTEE: Hoverboard has strictly passed UL2722 certification, with a speed limit of 6mile/h, hoverboard can travel up to 10...
- ▶▶DURABLE MATERIAL: Hoverboard adopts a special process and ABS material to ensure a hard shell, reduce hoverboard wear and tear, and dual-wheel...
- ▶▶PERFECT COMMITMENT: Hoverboard uses built-in Bluetooth speaker, and eye-catching lighting effects,with a variety of unique camouflage shells and...
- NEW HOVER BOARD SKINS: Made with durable Material and Music Speaker
- HOVERBOARD PATINETAS ELECTRICAS FEATURES: Electronic Based Hoverboard, Very sturdy- Supporting up to 165 lbs., Impeccable Speed Controlled by Rider, 2...
- CERTIFICATION: Certificated Hoverboard Stable
- ▶▶Safety Certified-Meet Safety standard, our hoverboards have passed all safety tests and are certified.(Bluetooth Unavailable)
- ▶▶Easier to Master- Smart Self balancing system makes it easier than ever for beginners to learn to ride a hoverboard.
- ▶▶Perfect Gift - Specially designed for beginners, amateurs, office workers, fit for all kids, free your feet - new way for fun!
- Brand New HS 2.2 Version Hoverboard made by New Structure and Technology, More Light, More Stable and More Durable.
- Unique Fashion Design and Rich Shining Color are choosen by kids, We Develop 3 Brand New Printing Color - Sea World, Big Shark, Unicorn, Hero, Galaxy,...
- Hoverboard was Made by Anti-fire Material for Battery and the Whole Body, A Real Safety Toy as Christmas Gift
- ▶▶SHIPPED FROM US. - All SISIGAD hoverboards have passed strict electrical test and meet UL2272 standards to ensure safety. Any issue just feel...
- ▶▶UNIQUE LED & BLUETOOTH - Built-in wireless speaker can be easily connected to portable devices in second, just enjoy your favorite music or...
- ▶▶SELF BALANCING CONTROL SYSTEM - Full of technology and easy to learn for beginners and amateurs. Li-ion batteries, dual hub motors, quick...
- Reaches speeds up to 7 mph For a fun ride.
- Battery level indicator: Describes you how much power is left.
- Built-in battery: Lets you travel quickly and efficiently
- HOVERBOARD FOR ADULTS & KIDS - Equipped with a high-end battery for cruising range up to 10 miles, powerful 2×350W dual engines, so EVERCROSS...
- HOVERBOARD WITH BLUETOOTH SPEAKER & GLOW WHEELS & LED LIGHTS - Hoverboard born with the 2021 newest design, featuring dynamic and attractive colorful...
- HOVERBOARD SEAT ATTACHMENT COMBO - Hoverboard for adults equipped with four latest generation gyro sensors, which bring safe and cozy driving fun....
- ▶▶EASY AND FUN - Powerful self-balancing feature would help u to master it well in 5 minutes, you can rotation in all directions, easier and...
- ▶▶PERFECT DESIGN -Don't be afraid of the road lacking street lights at night, the hoverboard which with 6.5" colorful flashing wheel, LED...
- ▶▶STRONG TIRES: High quality rubber tires, non-slip footpads allow you to keep stability and traction. Easy to maintain balance, The travel will...
What is a hoverboard anyway – and how does it work?
Visually, it resembles a skateboard, but the wheels are a lot bigger – and they are powered by engine power: The hoverboard (translated: “floating board”) has not yet learned to fly, but still offers plenty of driving pleasure. Incidentally, the wheels are reduced to two and mounted on either side of the board. The integrated gyroscope with its sensors allows the control, finally, a hoverboard has neither a handlebar nor a controller: The user takes a different direction by shifting his body weight, also moving forward in the same way.
In a nutshell: anyone who leans forward, drives forward, who leans backwards, slows down – or drives backwards. Many consider the hoverboard as a kind of Segway without a handlebar, which hits the gist of the matter pretty well. Also, the Segway has two wheels mounted on the same axle, is equipped with semiconductor gyroscopes and self-balancing. However, the driver falls away and thus the only way to hold on: Who drives the e-scooter, needs nothing to cling!
What to consider when buying a hoverboard?
Your new hoverboard is meant to be a lot of fun and as safe as possible for you – right? So important are the performance data, the durability and of course the security features to make a viable buying decision. Engine, battery and wheels are among the crucial components: If these three factors are of high quality, the buyer has almost won. How can that be recognized?
The performance of the hoverboard
Most hoverboards have two identical electric motors, one for each wheel. The individual power is between 200 and 400 watts so that each e-scooter comes to a total of 400 to 800 watts of motor power. The whole thing is usually powered by a lithium-ion battery, which should not be attached with tape for your safety, but, for example, with a non-flammable glass fibre holder. Some manufacturers are already outfitting their products with replaceable batteries: this is especially handy because you can charge one battery while driving the other. In addition, in case of a defect of the battery does not have to be disposed of the whole board! If the battery also has a USB port, you can even charge your smartphone or tablet while you’re on the move: a big advantage, especially if your hoverboard can be linked to your mobile phone!
In order to be able to judge the performance of a hoverboard in real terms, it is essential to know the maximum speed and the range. Most of the equipment is capable of producing about 15 km / h under good conditions, and a few even accelerate to 20 or 30 km / h. But no battery charge lasts forever, in many cases after 15 to 30 km at the end. A third factor plays an important role in connection with the performance: What gradients can be managed with the scooter? Especially in mountainous regions is a real exclusion criterion! Most hoverboards make about 15 per cent incline, then give up. A few bring enough strength for 30 per cent climb and more.
What about security?
Safety first – even with motorized skating! Make sure your board has been tested by the manufacturer in every way, from driving stability to flammability. Above, we have already mentioned that the battery holder should not be made of combustible cheap material: This is a criterion that you can check yourself quickly and easily! In addition, the security certificates assigned to the hoverboard provide information as to whether the device meets important minimum standards. Below is a brief overview of the most frequently occurring seals:
- UL 2272 Standard: Independent certificate, specifically for self-balance scooters, awarded by the Underwriters Laboratories. Both electrical and mechanical safety, as well as environmental compatibility, are tested.
- C mark: Compulsory seal for all toys and electronic products approved in Europe. The labelled product complies (according to the tests carried out by the manufacturer) with the European safety standards.
- CCCE mark: For electronic products that reach the Chinese market, among others: The marked hoverboard complies with all Chinese safety standards.
- FCC seal: For all products that emit electromagnetic waves: A must for the American market. An independent US agency is testing electromagnetic compatibility.
- RoHS Certificate: An EU seal used to limit problematic substances in electronic items. For example, companies that import devices to Europe may not use lead soldering and toxic flame retardants.
Who wants to drive with the new e-skater?
It makes a big difference whether an adult or a child should use the new hoverboard. Also, you should consider when buying, whether the future driver is a beginner or an advanced. A balanced balance system is essential for newcomers to be completely safe from the start. It also sounds reasonable not to spend so much money on a real newbie, because this new hobby may be over quickly. But those who are sure that he will soon become a beginner to a professional, the best is a hoverboard with different speed levels to complete at slow 6 km / h first driving exercises and then up to 20 or even 30 km / h to increase. Of course, such technically mature devices cost a little more, but in return, you are well served in the long run.
Also, pay attention to the weight your hoverboard can carry – and be careful: there is both an upper and a lower limit. Also for adults over 100 kg, there is the right board; But if you weigh more than 120 kg, it will be very difficult to find a fun skater for yourself. The lowest weight load starts at 20 kg, which should be unattainable for most kindergarten children. The deadweight of the board also plays a significant role in the purchase decision, at least if you want to carry it around in places. The devices weigh between about 8 and 16 kg, outliers up and down are possible. Of course, a child needs a light self-balance board, while a strong man can easily shoulder the 16 kg.
Which wheels are the right ones for my hoverboard?
Anyone who has already looked at one or the other hoverboard, certainly found that the individual devices come up with different tire sizes. The smallest tires measure 4.5 inches, the medium-sized 6.5 to 8 inches and the largest 10 inches. Small wheels are particularly suitable for children up to 50 kg, riding on level ground. To 6.5-inch wheels, you can grab an adult, but you should not necessarily venture into the area. If you prefer off-road riding, buy a hoverboard with at least 8-inch tires – 10 inches would be even better.
There is also a choice between solid rubber wheels and inflatable tires. The massive rubber variant brings some weight on the scales, but is considered almost indestructible and proves to be indispensable in the off-road area. Tires, on the other hand, are real featherweights, but they have to be pumped up regularly and can burst at times. Anyone who moves on smooth, relatively clean surfaces anyway will certainly be able to cope well with the air-filled version.
At a glance: Decision criteria for the purchase
- Motor power in watts
- Battery capacity
- maximum speed
- Tire size in inches
- several speed levels
- climbable slope in%
- Temperature spectrum for use
- fireproof battery attachment
- Battery may be interchangeable
- Battery with USB socket for the mobile phone
- Safety tests of the manufacturer
- independent security certificates
- Deadweight of the hoverboard
- Upper and lower weight limit for the driver
- Air or solid rubber tires
- Off-road suitability
- digital interface for mobile phone use
- various extras (see next chapter)
Extras and special equipment: chic boards for real fans
All the elements mentioned so far serve to make the hoverboard work as such and to be mobile. Now we turn to the extras, which are not necessary for the actual function, but for the fun factor increase enormously. More and more Self Balance scooters have LED lighting that is simply there to create a cool lighting effect. Of course, the board is easier to see at dusk or in the dark, but the LEDs are so close to the ground that they are less useful in this regard. A few suppliers are currently using their hoverboards to pave the way for true roadworthiness.
But who actually caught one of the rare devices with headlights, taillights and turn signals, should still be very well informed about whether a street legal. At the moment, no Self Balance scooter has overcome this hurdle. You like cool sound on the go? An increasing number of hoverboards have their own speakers and a Bluetooth interface, making these devices the driving beatbox in an instant. Some e-skaters can also be linked with a mobile app, for example, to query driving data, set speed limits and check the remaining battery power. Such gimmicks undoubtedly increase the joy of the hoverboard and may even add a real addictive danger!
At a glance: Watch out for these extras!
- LED lighting
- Front and rear lights with turn signals
- associated app for the smartphone
- USB charging socket for the mobile phone
- digital anti-theft device
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a hoverboard?
A hoverboard is first and foremost a fun article designed to be as fun as possible. That’s why there are so many devices with extra features like LED lamps in cool colours and speakers with Bluetooth interface. Since the current devices are not registered in the road, they can hardly be described as real vehicles, but some manufacturers are already working on traffic-compliant products. Here it is important to keep your eyes open and maybe get one of the first hoverboards for the road!
One thing is clear: with a hoverboard, you will experience an exciting new form of transport that costs little effort and leaves your hands free. There is no bulky handlebar that you need to hold on to constantly, the direction is changed intuitively by weight shifting. Simply climb up and go for a jaunty ride with the Self Balance Scooter, no preparation is necessary, only the battery should be naturally charged. Those who do not like to walk uphill will experience real relief with their new means of transportation: most devices manage to climb hills up to a gradient of 15% or 20%. A few hoverboards even manage more than 30% incline! Some Self Balance skaters are designed for off-road use, with their strongly contoured, extra-large tires, they move forward even in problematic terrain.
This significantly increases the fun factor and may even open up new ways for you to reach your destination overland! Even in your own garden, this function makes great. In addition, you look really casual on your e-skater, especially when it comes to a product with a chic design. In this country rather few people own a real hoverboard, accordingly, you will attract the attention! You can practice in your own apartment if you like it. After all, your new mini-vehicle needs little space and can also be moved between kitchens and living rooms. But beware: Clear all obstacles to minimize the risk of injury!
- high fun factor
- more fun with cool extras
- effortless driving without using your hands
- Listen to music on the go
- in some holiday countries also available in traffic
- easy to transport
- for easy climbing of slopes
- some products also for off-road use
- even usable in the apartment
- casual appearance
- not a real “floating” board
- no approval in German traffic
- Battery range limited
- Battery often not replaceable
- Weight load restricted upwards and downwards
- does not climb curbs or stairs
- no safety-relevant lighting
- reflective clothing needed in the dark
- Schooner and helmet highly recommended
Small instructions: How to drive with your new e-scooter!
Although the hoverboard itself ensures that it stays in balance, a rookie on two wheels still has to carefully approach the new situation. Just get on and drive off – that does not work for the first time without some basic knowledge. For this reason, we have put together here a small but fine manual that informs about the most important succinctly. This is a sure start as a hoverboard driver as good as guaranteed!
- turn on a device
- Check hoverboard: battery, tires, functionality
- Hold onto wall or railing, put on one foot
- Carefully balance, catch up with second foot
- Continue to balance, gradually releasing hands
- Practice straight and do not drive yet
- Move weight slightly forward: drive forward
- Shift weight slightly to the rear: brake
- A little further back: drive backwards
- Left turn: load left foot
- Right turn: load right foot
- Rotation: right foot in front, left in back – and vice versa
- Descend: keep strong foot up, lower the other backwards
- Then make up for the strong foot
Your first exercises should preferably be on level ground, with no obstructions or furniture in the way. Also, wear appropriate protectors and a helmet to minimize the risk of injury. A second person can be very helpful at the first attempts. For example, it blocks the wheels of the board with its feet when getting on and off and offers its shoulder as a support. All weight shifts on the device should be done very carefully and carefully because the electronics are extremely sensitive!
When can you drive hoverboard?
This is less about an age question than a question of weight. The sensors of your hoverboard need a certain amount of load to make the weight transfer control possible at all. For some devices, the lowest limit is for a 20 kg driver, in which case even most first graders can get on and try the scooter. Other hoverboards can only be used from 30 kg or even 40g, they are mainly older children, adolescents and adults as a driver.
On the other side of the scale is the upper weight limit, which takes place approximately in the number range of 100 to 130 kg. Adult men and stronger women can also climb the hoverboard if they fit into the frame. Unofficially, the recommendation is that children should use a hoverboard only from 12 years. Parents should watch their offspring closely and assess their physical abilities: Fitte children are certainly allowed to ascend rather, preferably first in the company of an adult.
Where can I drive my hoverboard?
Hoverboards are considered in Germany to the current state as “not roadworthy”, so they should not be used in traffic. This is because the scooters currently on the market do not comply with the registration requirements for lighting, steering, brakes, turn signals and mirrors. There is no proper liability insurance for your new vehicle, just as you actually need a driver’s license to drive a motorized vehicle that takes you to more than 6 km / h. In non-public areas, hoverboards are allowed, however, in the sense of fun and play equipment. Please adhere to this important rule in order not to have to pay penalties or to get points in Flensburg! Keep in mind that with an off-road