Musicians, podcasters, creators, video commentators, speakers or singers – anyone who wants to seriously record voice, instruments or vocals at home, for example, to produce their own podcasts from the audio material, should sooner or later for the first time on the purchase of a good microphones for his plans. Because the built-in microphone of laptop, Handy and Co. are in fact not suitable when it comes to a more professional audio recording with a correspondingly professional audio quality. The mobile phones score today with a high resolution in the video area and there are now numerous apps for the professional recording of audio material, in terms of microphone technology, however, external condenser microphones are clearly out in front.
When it comes to vocal, voice or instrumental recordings, an external, higher quality microphone should always be used, which can be connected via USB to the respective device for recording. However, with the steadily growing number of suitable USB condenser microphones can quickly lose the overview. Read in our great practice comparison and USB microphone advisor on STERN.de which USB and podcast microphones in which areas really score and what you should consider when recording with the external microphone.
Top 10 Microphones
- Tri-capsule array - 3 condenser capsules can record almost any situation.
- Multiple pattern selection - cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional & stereo.Frequency Response- 20Hz - 20kHz
- Gain control, mute button, zero-latency headphone output. Power output (RMS): 130mW
- Great Sound of Fidelity: TONOR Q9 microphone makes a new breakthrough on sound recording. The cardioid polar pattern helps to capture sounds with...
- Plug and Play: With USB A to B cable, TONOR Q9 microphone is easy to connect with both Mac and Windows computer, no need any extra driver software or...
- Complete Mic Set: Package includes a condenser microphone, adjustable suspension scissor arm stand, desk mount clamp, metal shock mount, pop filter,...
- Anti vibration shock mount
- Tap to mute sensor with LED indicator
- Four selectable polar patterns
- Professional-grade mic ideal for communication and gaming featuring enhanced voice clarity and background noise reduction
- Detachable for maximum compatibility and usage; flexible ad adjustable for ideal mic positioning
- Built to last with a durable and reinforced cable, 24k gold plated plug and SteelFlex boom arm
- [Premium PC Microphone]: The iUKUS PC Microphone is can be used for radio broadcasting studio, voice-over, podcast, recording, gaming, chatting over...
- [High Quality Recording Microphone]: Frequency response 50Hz-16kHz mic provides you a clear and high-fidelity vocal, without noise to disturb you...
- [3.5mm Jack PC Microphone]: The condenser microphone with 3.5mm plug, easy to use, just plug and play. It fits for all kinds of PC with 3.5mm Stereo...
- PLUG AND PLAY: TONOR microphone TC-777 is equipped with a USB 2.0 data port, without the need for additional driver software, sound card or phantom...
- CARDIOID PICKUP PATTERN: The mic has a cardioid pickup pattern which captures the clear, smooth and crisp sound in front of the microphone and...
- EASY TO INSTALL: The TC-777 microphone set includes 1 x Microphone with Power Cord, 1 x Tripod desk stand with folding feet, 1 x Mini Shock Mount, 1 x...
- 【PLUG AND PLAY】 Simply plug it into any available USB port, select it as your input in your software settings, and you're ready to create your own...
- 【Distinctive Dual Layer Filter 】 - Folding Metal Tripod Stand, Shock Mount with Metal Goose neck 360° adjustable connect with wind screen shield...
- 【BRIGHT & CLEAR 】20Hz-20KHz- frequency response for brilliant and transparent sound--Extended frequency response is excellent for singing, speech...
- Plug and Play and Portable-Simply plug it into any available USB port, select it as your input in your software settings, and you're ready to create...
- Distinctive Omni pick-up pattern-- Noise cancellation and isolates the main sound source, Good for home studio, Chatting, Skype,Discord, Yahoo...
- Smooth,flat frequency response of 50Hz-16KHz--Extended frequency response is excellent for singing, speech and Voice over, Performed perfectly in...
- 🔥HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO. This microphone embeds a patented audio filter in order to record only your voice. Your teammates will understand you...
- 🔥PROFESSIONAL USB MICROPHONE. This USB Microphone is perfect for videoconferencing, Skype, dictation or voice recognition. The audio filter...
- 🔥 EASY and COMPATIBLE. You just need to plug the microphone and it will work ! No software to install. A single button to turn it on or off....
- ■ 360 Degree Position Adjustable Gooseneck Design --Adopting the design of metal gooseneck pipe pickup the sound from 360-degree with high...
- ■ Mute Button & LED Indicator --One click to mute/unmute your microphone,Build-in LED indicator tells you the working status at any time
- ■ Intelligent Noise Canceling Tech --Premium omnidirectional condenser microphone with noise canceling technology can pick up your clear voice and...
What should you pay particular attention to when buying a USB and Podcast microphone?
There are many types of microphones on the market, from vocal microphones to wireless microphones and directional microphones. The choice is almost limitless. First, before you buy a USB and podcast microphone, the well-known motto: “What costs nothing, can be good for nothing.”But is that really true? Why should more money be spent when it is cheaper? Understandably, not everyone wants to spend the same amount of money to gain their first experience in the field of audio recording. To try out a cheap microphone first enough, which meets your own requirements. Accessories such as microphone amplifier, windscreen and microphone spider are not necessary for the time being.
However, those who have a more serious intention should think about what type of microphone is actually needed for which application. For example, do you prefer to record a vocal part, or do you just want to record a spoken text, for example, to later use it to personalize your own videos or podcasts? Each application always speaks for a different microphone, as highlighted in our product overview on STERN.de compared to the 11 best USB and podcast microphones on the market. Some microphones are just better for voice recordings, and others are great for vocal or instrumental recordings. Sometimes the design can also play a role, for example, if the microphone is also seen in the recorded video itself.
Checklist before purchasing a USB or Podcast microphone:
- With which devices (for example, mobile phone, laptop or camera), the microphone can be operated properly? With which devices do I want to use it mainly?
- Is a separate power supply necessary or does the condenser microphone have to be operated with a 48-volt phantom power supply?
- For which application should my microphone be suitable? What exactly should be included? Tip: Think of areas that might not be relevant at the moment, but that may become important later.
- Do I need additional software or can I start recording right away? Is any additional equipment needed, such as a microphone spider, tripod or microphone stand?
- How much am I willing to spend on a microphone, and where exactly are the price differences?
It’s best to choose one of the many models from the list at your fingertips, either online, in many specialist shops or in speciality music stores. Some websites also offer a small soundcheck online, which is very helpful before you buy a microphone. In brief audio files, some recording situations are briefly presented, for example, vocal or voice recordings, which you can listen to directly on the homepage of the respective provider.
Pro Tips: Record podcasts properly
Anyone who thinks that a podcast is just an audio recording made available to other users over the Internet is wrong. Podcasts are basically like small radio broadcasts in an audio or video format, which are published on a regular basis via the Internet or in a podcast app or regularly presented to subscribers. And the number of listeners is growing steadily. Not for nothing on Apple’s iPhone since iOS 8, the app podcast preinstalled. The fact is, a professional podcast can also bring in new customers at the corporate level. An effective podcast but wants to be properly planned and created. Even though there are numerous video podcasts, the audio podcast is the better alternative when it comes to the best balance between cost and benefit. You finally wanted to get started and record your first own podcast? Read in our guide what you should pay attention to.
What makes a good podcast?
The typical length of a podcast is between ten minutes and one hour. Podcast subscribers often use times when they can listen to a program while doing something else. For example, in the morning in the gym, during long car rides or at the weekend at the housework. These are almost always situations in which music could be heard. The podcast thus represents a sensible alternative to music and radio – the personal radio, so to speak. A podcast is about learning something about a topic that interests you and, through that, learns something or benefits from the experiences others make in their podcast.
About the power of the spoken word
Who does not know this phenomenon – even those who rarely listen to the radio can immediately recognize a moderator by his voice. It’s also fun to listen to a voice and the spoken word, and the spoken text creates a sense of familiarity and closeness when a once-familiar voice is heard again. Even who thinks now that he or she has no special (speaking) voice. Let’s just say it’s special because each voice is unique and unique.
Selfie and Interview at Podcasts: What content do I want to produce?
Anyone who runs his own homepage and regularly reports there is a blog or the news about current personal things has actually already created the first basis for entry into the podcast world. These lyrics can be used well as starting material for the first podcast recordings. Most of the time they just have to be reworded and the first selfie podcast is done. The interviews another, especially popular podcast content. For this purpose, the moderator brings different guests into the program and asks them interesting questions, which are then answered in an entertaining or informative manner and thus offer the listener real added value. When creating podcasts, it is important to have a certain regularity, which is why it makes sense to set up an editorial plan. This plan specifies in advance what should be sent in the first 15 broadcasts, for example.
What do I really need to record my first podcast?
In addition to a good microphone, more hardware is needed to professionally record the first own podcast, such as a microphone spider, a tripod or a microphone stand. As recording software, for example, GarageBand, a fully equipped recording studio right on your Mac, or Audacity, a free sound studio can be used to record, edit and play audio files in Windows, can be used. There are also numerous other free or paid offers on the net.
What is phantom power and what is it needed for recording?
The term ” phantom power ” refers to a special type of remote supply of signal sources in audio engineering. These are usually condenser microphones, which are supplied via the so-called phantom power. Important: If no phantom power is available, no signal can be transmitted. The phantom power is simply transmitted via the microphone cable after a corresponding switch has been activated for this purpose.
Useful microphone accessories
If you buy a microphone, you have the choice of all sorts of accessories. To record your first own podcast, you do not really need a lot of equipment like a microphone amplifier or other technical highlights. A microphone for the PC or a laptop, headphones (for monitoring) and a free software for recording (such as Audacity) – finished is the first professional recording setting in the home studio. After all, modern USB microphones offer a lot more technology than can initially be assumed, as our overview has already shown. The integrated sound card in the housing offers, for example, the option to provide a headphone connection directly to the USB microphone, which is particularly useful for monitoring via headphones.
However, a few more extra things can also provide useful services for a really good shot. For example, it is particularly important to secure the studio microphone from all vibrations in a corresponding professional holder. Here make so-called microphone spiders especially good work. The spider decouples all disturbing noises that can occur at any time due to body or footstep noise during a recording. After all, you do not want to have loud rumble or annoying rumbling with the sound signal and thus in his recording. The microphone is simply clamped in the elastic suspension of the spider. This suspension consists of a zigzag rubber band which ensures that the microphone can oscillate completely free.
This annoying impact sound in the recording is finally a thing of the past because especially condenser microphones are particularly sensitive when it comes to impact sound and other types of shock during recording. Often also a so-called wind protection or pop protection can prove to be very useful. It is used in almost all professional recording situations in the recording studio because the wind or pop protection reliably protects against the so-called explosive sounds in a recording situation. They can arise, for example, when the phrases (“B” or “P”) are pronounced at the beginning of a word or in the middle of it. In this case, it can unpleasant “aufpoppen” without a pop-screen in the recording, that is, only by the pronunciation of the letters “B” or “P” unpleasant and popping noises are produced by the speaker or singer.
Finally, this should be prevented or effectively protected against it – hence the name “pop protection”. Finally, a holder on a tripod ensures optimum stability. Microphone spiders can be easily attached to it. If necessary, an adapter is needed for screwing, the bracket, spider and tripod securely connects. The microphone stand is often used in conjunction with a so-called gallows. At best, the gallows ensures that the condenser microphone can be placed exactly in front of the mouth, just as you know it from the radio stations.
The fact is that only by a good and stable attachment and the right distance to the microphone can be complied with. The rule of thumb here is to keep a hand-width distance between the microphone and the recording source (ie the mouth in this case). Those who consider these points when setting up the home studio for voice or vocal recordings should soon be able to quickly use his recording equipment professionally. Then it’s time to focus on what’s most important – the performance – rather than bother with a non-positionable tripod or annoying recording noise.
Tips for the best sound while recording
One thing is certain, every voice and it’s sound is unique. To get the most out of your own voice, some things should be considered. So it is recommended, especially at the beginning always several test shots in different places in the room with different microphone positions to make, in order to find out where your own voice actually sounds best. Numerous aspects such as the distance and the inclination to the microphone membrane namely, affect the sound during each recording. The closer the speaker or singer is to the microphone, the fewer parts of the room are recorded during the recording. Thus, the voice closer to the microphone passenger and bulbous sound or just lighter and thinner, if the distance to the microphone is increased accordingly.
The angle at which the microphone is spoken or sung can also contribute to sound optimization. Here it is always necessary to test different microphone placements and distances to get the best sound depending on your voice. Also conceivable are other microphone positions, for example, next to, above or even below the mouth, because not every speaker and singer must always be recorded from the same position and distance. It is always important to avoid overloading during recording. Therefore, the singer or speaker can also remove something from the microphone in some louder places, so that an otherwise well-controlled recording at this point does not suddenly start to “clipping”, ie suddenly it begins to overdrive.
Once a good position in front of the microphone has been found, it should be kept, as any change close to the microphone is usually clearly audible. Here it is, therefore, necessary to keep still and to influence the once found, optimal timbre by horizontal movements not further. Being as upright as possible during the recording makes the sound of every audio blogger sound better. After all, this is about assuming an upright sitting position so that the lungs and diaphragm can work optimally. In addition, each speaker should also pay attention to sufficiently carbonated water(preferably lukewarm) to drink during the intake to prevent dry mouth and neck area.
Those who are already hoarse or have a cold should better not sing or speak anymore, because the vocal cords can be permanently damaged by any further stress. Here it should be better to wait until the complaints have subsided again. For serious voice problems alcohol and cigarettes should also be avoided, as well as coffee and black or green tea. Because this only contributes to a further dehydration of mouth and vocal cords. Sage sweets or Isla Moos lozenges can finally provide first aid with a slightly clear voice.
Professional tips for sound optimization in the recording room
For a long time it was believed that the famous egg cartons on the walls are of some help when it comes to optimizing the sound of a room, As a result, in many music practice and recording rooms, numerous “egg boards” landed on the ceilings and walls. Unfortunately, without success, not to mention the ugly look. In fact, egg cartons do not do anything at all to reduce the resulting sound. In any case, it is more favourable to first select a room for the reception in which there are no particularly large window areas or tiled areas and, for that, a carpet that is as fluffy as possible. If possible, parts of the walls should also be hung with Molton or curtains or carpets. If the room is furnished with other furnishings, all pieces of furniture that contain a lot of fabric or upholstery in an acoustic optimization, such as a sofa or a daybed with many, will help allow, so that the recording sounds even better.