Whether in the office, at school or at the university: Many people spend most of the day sitting down. A good office chair spares the back and the spine and is characterized by an ergonomic seat shell. The upright basic position is considered an ideal sitting posture. Evenly loaded, the spine remains in the natural double S-shape, which strengthens the back muscles.
Anyone who exercises daily a sedentary job should place great value on the matching office chair with high seating comfort. An unhealthy sitting position has negative effects on the neck, shoulders and back and can lead to chronic back pain. In the following office chair comparison, we explain in detail the individual components and the adjustment to the physical proportions. In our guide, the focus is on the right office chair, the individual types and meaningful functions that have a positive effect on the joints and the muscles.
Top 10 Office Chairs
- Ergonomic office chair with lumbar support mesh back for breathability.
- Updated thick padded seat provide extra comfort for daily use.
- BIFIMA certification: more reliable and sturdy, maximum capacity up to 265 lbs.
- Flash Furniture
- Comfortable office chair with contoured mesh back for breathability
- Pneumatic seat-height adjustment; padded seat for comfort
- 225-pound maximum weight capacity
When does buying an office chair make sense?
Back pain is a common disease number 1. In most cases, an unhealthy sitting position and posture leads to unpleasant discomfort. Bad posture is supported by inadequately equipped office chairs, which leads to muscle spasms, headaches and other pain. If you are affected as well, it is best to start directly at the office chair and thus improve your sitting position when working, watching videos or playing games. Pay attention to the seat, backrest, lumbar area and armrests for optimal seating position. Below we will show you what to look for when buying an office chair.
Why can sitting make you sick?
Harmful is a monotonous posture, which strains the back. At the same time, the one-sided stress leads to a relaxation of the muscles and a poor oxygen supply. The strain on the intervertebral discs also increases after prolonged sitting. The body switches to low flame, the abdominal muscles slacken, which narrows the digestive organs and can lead to a malaise.
Which office chair to buy for work?
As far as the workplace is concerned, you should definitely select a suitable office swivel chair. The following questions lead to the appropriate model:
- How long do I sit during the day?
- Do I have back problems?
- What activity do I do while sitting?
- In which working environment do I sit?
- How old and how heavy am I?
The individual questions refer to the most important criteria when buying office chairs. So it makes a difference whether you exercise a steady job or get up in between and change jobs. In addition, previously injured users with neck and back complaints need to buy a special swivel chair. The professional office chairs are designed for a maximum total load and size. With high occupancy, the upholstered executive chairs are equipped, while back-friendly swivel chairs save on weight and dimensions. This makes them a worthwhile alternative in small workrooms and offices.
Advantages and disadvantages of the executive chair:
- High weight load possible
- Classic design fits in every office
- Soft seating comfort
- Additional upholstery in the seat and back area
- Limited mobility
- Not every chair has a seesaw function
Advantages and disadvantages of ergonomic office chairs:
- Adjustable armrest, backrest and seat depth
- Wiping function can be switched on and off
- Basics available at a low price
- Comfortable and breathable padding
- Sharp-edged rollers can damage the floor
- Not every swivel chair is suitable for permanent sitting
Which office chairs are there?
The different versions go back to the equipment and the functions. The good seating furniture combines a high level of seating comfort with a sturdy construction.
- Office chairs with and without armrests
- Office chairs with adjustable backrest
- Office chairs with locking mechanism
Office chairs are available with or without armrests. If you frequently get up, you may feel disturbed by the armrests. Some office chair models offer the possibility of varying the height of the armrests. For some office chairs, the backrests can be folded away if necessary. The desk chairs with adjustable backrest have various adjustment options. This supports the back and relieves people who are predominantly sedentary. The adjustment possibilities of the backrest ensure active or dynamic sitting. These adjustment options support the back, head, neck and arms, which is a physical relief.
Why is a rocker mechanism useful for office chairs?
Office swivel chairs with rocker mechanism support dynamic sitting. Most models have a switchable rocker mechanism that you can disable when needed. When leaning against the backrest tilts backwards away. The seat slides forward. This changes the sitting position and the intervertebral disc is relieved. For older models, you will usually encounter a permanent rocking mechanism. In these office chairs, only the backrest tilts back while the seat remains rigid. The newer office chairs incorporate asynchronous mechanism that allows the seat to be moved. In the seat height, almost all office chairs can be adjusted, which ensures the correct sitting position at the desk or in front of the game console. In our office chair comparison, the high-quality seats score with thick upholstery and a backrest with mesh covering.
What should I look for when buying an office chair?
The functional aspects of an office chair are designed to make long-term sitting healthier. Finally, a strained, cramped and aching back limits the workday. Everyone should take a healthy sitting position on the chair and adjust it to their individual proportions. The permissible certificates of the leading models are the TÜV and the GS seal. Here, independent experts have put the office chair through its paces to confirm that it has all-round safety in accordance with the applicable EU standards.
For buyers, these certificates provide a practical orientation. The Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (BAuA) has published concrete requirements for the office chairs. This is not a legal requirement, but rather a guide to the purchase of a suitable office chair:
- An important part of the office chair is the backrest. This should adapt to the natural shape of the spine and be adjustable. You adjust the backrest individually. If the backrest is variable, it can be ideally adapted to the height of the user. This allows smaller and larger people to use the office swivel chair.
- The iliac crest support is located about 20 centimetres above the seat. It ensures the healthy posture and stretching of the back. The seating position should be straight so that the pelvis can slide close to the backrest. In the correct sitting position, back and thighs enter a 90-degree angle. A high backrest relieves the back more effectively than too short a backrest.
- The upholstery of the office chair is responsible for the seating comfort. You can choose from the thick upholstery of an executive chair or an office chair with mesh covering. Generally, the seat of the chair should cushion slightly when sitting down to minimize the impact on the spine.
- With or without armrests? This depends on the purpose. If the office chair has armrests, these should not hinder your movements. Alternatively, opt for an office chair with removable or height-adjustable armrests.
- The seat should be adjustable. Most desk chair models bring it to a seat width between 40 and 48 centimetres. XXL office chairs have a slightly wider seat area.
- The maximum load on an office chair plays a major role because it ensures safety and stability. As a rule, the office chairs are designed for a maximum bodyweight of 100 kilograms to 120 kilograms. Only in the XXL version is the maximum load up to 210 kilograms.
What features to choose in the office chair?
The equipment features listed so far are standard on good office chairs. However, there are also models that have more practical features. A lumbar support provides extra support for the spine. It is a curvature in the lumbar region. The lumbar support knows most of the interior of the car because there are these lumbar supports installed very often. If you work a lot while sitting, you should opt for an office chair with lumbar support.
How does the office chair hydraulics work?
The heart of the hydraulics is the gas spring, which provides elasticity and a different seat height. This component shows the first signs of wear. The durability of office chairs is often far beyond the life of their suspension. If the spring breaks completely apart, the chair loses stability and grip. If the seat squishes or jolts, the gas spring is defective in most cases. Instead of disposing of the office chair, you should replace the office chair gas spring. In fact, there are many compatible gas springs with depth suspension online that can be integrated into almost all chair designs.
When buying the gas spring column, you should pay attention to the case diameter and the dimensions at the base. Only then does the spare part fit the swivel chair. The price for the spare parts ranks in the favourable range. Especially with the high-end office swivel chairs, the purchase of a new pen makes sense. Change defective gas spring, that’s how it works For most chairs, the pressure damper is attached. It is a height-adjustable printing system, which still offers the possibility to adjust the height of the swivel chair.
- Insert the new damper into the usual holder under the seat.
- Then attach the screen.
- Insert the spring into the base of the foot.
- Finally, put the chair back on the rollers.
- Then you can use the gas spring as usual.
How do I sit correctly on the office swivel chair?
- Adjusting the optimum seat height is achieved when the popliteal fossa is on the front edge of the seat.
- When leaning against the backrest should be between the popliteal fossa and the edge of the seat about one or two fingerprint place. This allows the blood to circulate in the legs.
- The locking mechanism makes sense because you relieve the body by the rocking motion.
What is dynamic sitting?
Roughly outlined, dynamic sitting describes the regular change in sitting position. This counteracts monotonous sitting. Finally, prolonged sitting makes you sick. Lean forward or back or strain your feet one after the other. Circle the shoulders and arms to counteract signs of fatigue and poor circulation in the back.
The 10 most frequently asked questions and answers about the office chair
Why does an office chair have to have five wheels?
Five rollers ensure high stability and stability. The desk roles pay off when getting up and sitting down. Soft castors go with hard floors and hard castors with soft floors.
Why is my office chair squealing?
The causes of unusual running noise are usually in the roles. If the steel axles are stored in plastic, they sometimes make unpleasant noises. But even the ring around the telescopic pole can squeak. In this case, you should relubricate with a little oil.
What weighs an office chair?
That depends on the individual components. The plastic chairs that weigh no more than 10 kilograms are lightweight. The heavy models include the executive chair. They ensure high stability.
Which office chair is suitable for neck pain?
When buying ergonomic office chairs, look for neck support pillows and pillows. These allow a healthy alignment of the backrest, even if you already suffer from neck problems. Talk to your family doctor about the right seating to achieve long-term improvement.
How should I dispose of the office chair?
Good office chairs can offer you on used markets and make money again. Due to their size, it is not possible to dispose of the office chair with household waste. Take advantage of the recycling depots near you or place the office chair in the rubbish bin.
How long does an office chair last?
A first indication of the lifetime is the guarantee. The minimum guarantee ranges from the well-known brands of 1 to 2 years.
Can the office chair be deducted from the tax?
Yes. Freelancers and self-employed who work in the office, have the opportunity to tax the office swivel chair. For this, you need the invoice, on which your name and your address are noted.
Which office chair is the right one for hip problems?
Pain in the hips when sitting, you can hardly concentrate. Avoid excessive flexion. A restriction in the hip flexion is dependent on a correct seat height. For example, a special seat cushion is suitable for this.
Where should I buy an office chair?
With the demands rise also the requirements for the swivel chair. It is best to buy from a specialist retailer or an office shop. Online offers the advantage of being able to compare the individual chairs, brands and prices.
How much is an office chair?
The price range of office swivel chairs is very wide. The cheapest models start at 20 to 30 euros. The professional swivel chairs exceed the hundred-euro mark and there are hardly any limits at the top. For this, these high-quality chairs for the office combine individual, ergonomic advantages.