With over-ear headphones, you benefit from the advantage that they completely encircle the earcups and thus represent a good prerequisite for ensuring top-quality sound. But many consumers have big problems choosing the right pair of over-ear headphones. After all, there are countless models of different manufacturers to buy and the preferences of the users are also different, so you can not always attach great importance to the testimonials of friends and acquaintances.
However, we would like to ensure that you benefit from a good music experience and have attached to you the 12 best over-ear headphones from Teufel, Bose, Beats by Dre and Sennheiser and many other brands. Of course, we also focus on reviews of various consumer magazines and test institutions, and we’ll answer some questions below in our Over-Ear Headphone Buying Guide!
Top 10 Over-Ear Headphones
- IMPRESSIVE SOUND QUALITY IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL: The High-fidelity stereo sound benefits from the 40mm neodymium driver, CSR chip, and the around-ear...
- BUILT TO STAY COMFORTABLE: The Memory-protein ear cushion simulate human skin texture, ensuring lasting comfort. The stainless steel slider and softly...
- NEVER POWER OFF, BOTH WIRELESS & WIRED: 1. The wireless mode: Battery update to 20-hr music time/ talking time in a single charge. A 10-minute charge...
- SUPERIOR SOUND: Enjoy clear sound and supreme comfort with the OneOdio Studio monitor headphones. Large, 50 millimeter speaker unit drivers combined...
- BUILT TO STAY COMFORTABLE: The high quality padded ear cushions are specifically designed for monitor headphones maximum comfort and noise isolation....
- NO MORE ADAPTER: A long DJ-style 9.8-foot cord easily reaches from the TV or stereo to your favorite chair. A standard-sized 6.35mm plug and a 3.5mm...
- Wired over the Ear Headphones: Full size, classic style Headphones deliver balanced, high frequency sound on par with higher priced headphones for...
- Powerful Bass, Vocals and Lyrics: Dual 30 millimeter neodymium driver units easily handle up to 1000Mw maximum power input for satisfying bass plus...
- Padded for Comfort: Plush padded earpads softly surround the entire ear to minimize ambient noise and Distractions, and a smooth, quick adjust...
- Neodymium magnets and 40 millimeter drivers for powerful, detailed sound
- Closed ear design provides comfort and outstanding reduction of external noises
- 9.8 foot cord ends in gold plated plug and it is not detachable; 1/4 inch adapter included
- 50mm neodymium drivers deliver full spectrum of sound
- 1.5m cable gives you freedom of movement for indoor use
- Comfortable double layered headband cushion, breathable ear cushion for longer wearing comfort
- Deep, immersive sound, improved EQ best in class performance for wireless headphones. Connectivity Technology: Wired/Wireless
- Latest Bluetooth technology for easy connectivity and seamless audio/video syncs
- Advanced microphone system, HD voice for clear calls in windy or noisy environments
- Almost one week of use with HIFI sound: Mpow professional 40mm drivers offer you incredible listening clarity. Supplying up to 18 hours of...
- 3-Button easy CONTROL on music, calls, audio books & FM without buying an extra SD card: quickly connecting with Bluetooth V4.1 to your phones, you...
- Rotatable space-saving design with travel Carrying bag & proper tightness in light weight for comfort: Take it to anywhere with the included carrying...
- Superior sound: enjoy clear sound and supreme comfort with the OneOdio Studio FUSION headphones. Large, 40 millimeter speaker unit drivers combined...
- Built to stay comfortable: The high quality padded ear cushions are specifically designed for monitor headphones maximum comfort and noise isolation....
- No more adapter: a long do-style 9.8-Foot cord easily reaches from the TV or stereo to your favorite chair. A standard-sized 6.3mm Plug and a 3.5mm...
- SUPERIOR SOUND QUALITY: Enjoy superb, bass sound and supreme comfort with the OneOdio Studio monitor headphones. Large, 50 millimeter speaker unit...
- MAXIMUM COMFORT: The memory-protein earmuffs is Made in Germany, which designed to disperse pressure and heat build-up, combined with the soft leather...
- NO MORE ADAPTER: A long, DJ-style 9.8-foot cord easily reaches from the TV or stereo to your favorite chair. A standard-sized 6.3mm plug and a 3.5mm...
- DIGITAL NOISE CANCELLING: Blocks out distracting background noise for a better music experience
- AI POWERED: Hold the NC button for uniquely tuned noise cancellation courtesy of next gen AI tech
- HANDS FREE CALLING: A built in microphone lets you take, make calls and access your voice assistant
Over-ear headphones buying advice from STERN.de
With so many different price ranges and preferences in terms of sound quality, it’s not that easy to find just the right over-ear headphones. We would like to support you in choosing the top headphones and have put together a sales advisor who should answer all your questions.
What are the advantages of over-ear headphones?
The so-called over-ears enclose the ear cups completely and therefore provide ideal conditions to ensure optimal music enjoyment. This is primarily due to the acoustic shielding. In keeping with this, you should absolutely make sure that the earcups are equipped with a particularly padded material. This is not only important for general comfort, but also for the sound, which thus can not escape to the outside. Many models also offer the advantage of active noise cancellation, called noise cancelling. Especially in the headphones of the well-known brand manufacturers from the upper price segment corresponding functions are present, which are relevant in the plane or even in the job.
Summary of advantages and disadvantages
- Ear-closing – good sound result
- Depending on the model, open construction can ensure that the sound is still removed to the outside
- Simple connection via Bluetooth with external audio sources
- Individual adjustment of the headband
- Usually easy stowage in included bags
- Due to the closed design, sounds can not be produced in a balanced way
- Limited wearing comfort – especially with cheap models
- These other types of headphones are also available
Compared to the over-ear headphones, the on-ears are directly on the ears and do not surround them. This has several disadvantages. For example, there is no heat balance over the years, so many people sweat when the pads rest on their ears. Often, the on-ear headphones are a bit cheaper than the over-ear headphones.
In-Ears are usually quite comfortable to wear as they are very light and have no hangers. The in-ear headphones, for example, with a neckband or the latest versions also completely wireless, if you think, for example, the Apple EarPods that need to be connected via Bluetooth with an audio source.
Which over-ear headphones are all available for selection?
First of all, when choosing an earphone suitable for you, ask yourself if you can handle a model that can be used by cable or completely wireless. If you opt for the latter option, then a coupling via radio transmission is necessary, which is usually via Bluetooth. Therefore, your primary audio source, which you want to use with over-ear headphones, should have such a Bluetooth feature.
- Wired over-ear headphones
Inexpensive over-ear headphones usually have a cable that you need to connect to your stereo or hi-fi system. However, there are now often over-ear headphones with Bluetooth, which still offer a way to connect via cable, which is especially an advantage when the built-in battery is empty. The downside of wired over-ear headphones should be obvious. You always have to pay attention to a cable and are therefore not nearly as flexible as with wireless versions, which should not be underestimated.
- Wireless over-ear headphones
Today, many manufacturers offer the over-ear headphones as a wireless version, which is paired with an audio source via Bluetooth. Thus, you can, of course, enjoy a maximum degree of freedom of movement, with the general range on average totalling 10 m. However, connection quality can be severely compromised if you are in a room other than the audio source in a winding apartment. But just the Bluetooth connection also offers many advantages. For example, you can conveniently pair the over-ear headphones with your smartphone and automatically be notified when, for example, a call arrives at you, directly because of the built-in microphones allowed to accept in the headphones.
- Over-ear headphones with voice function
If you absolutely require the previously described voice function, then you should definitely pay attention to the appropriate technical prerequisites if you want to commit yourself to an over-ear headphone of your choice.
The key features that a good over-ear headphone should have
- Height and weight
In addition to the technical data or even a good microphone and a battery, you should first make sure that you choose over-Ears, which have the lowest possible weight and also not too big, as far as the general design is concerned. Finally, wear an over-ear headphone directly on the head, which has the disadvantage that particularly heavy models over time provide a less comfortable wearing.
In terms of comfort, of course, in addition to the size and weight, the materials used also play a central role. This applies, for example, to the ear pads and the temple. Especially cheap models are only covered with a soft plastic, which cause problems especially with prolonged wear and in the long run rather have defects. Highly recommended is leather and memory foam.
The active noise suppression nowadays require many consumers who have already used a corresponding model. Finally, the sounds are filtered in the immediate area, which benefits the overall sound quality. Noise-cancelling should definitely be available with your over-ear headphones if you expect the maximum sound quality when listening to music.
If you also want to use the over-ear headphones as a headset, then a good microphone should be installed. Thus, it is easily possible that you can benefit from all the advantages of voice control . Especially in combination with the coupling of a smartphone, it is thus easy to realize that you can answer calls.
- Remote Control
In the wireless Bluetooth over-ear headphones, the manufacturers usually integrate elements for operation directly on the ear cups. This concerns, for example, the setting of the current volume of noise-cancelling or, in the case of modern versions, assistance systems that are supported, for example, by Google or other providers. As another form of remote control, some manufacturers also use apps for the smartphone. This also allows further settings to be made. The creation of individual sound profiles may also be possible. The same applies to the personal settings of the assistant, which is the case with the Bose over-ear headphones, for example.
If the over-ear headphones can be folded, this contributes to maximum transportability. That’s why it’s important that you pay attention to a case in which the over-ear headphones can be conveniently stowed away. Especially when travelling or for the simple transport in a bag, this is absolutely necessary.
For most wireless over-ear headphones, the connection to an audio source is via the Bluetooth radio standard. The latest standards are 4.1 and 4.2 respectively. These offer the advantage of better use and range and lower energy consumption. There are also other options, but the latency is quite low. This is especially recommended for users who like to use the over-ear headphones in computer games or on TV.
- Running time of the installed batteries
Wireless over-ear headphones have a battery and are therefore heavier. Of course, most manufacturers also give a corresponding battery life, which is usually quite transparent and comparable to the practice. In the cheap models from this comparison of the best over-ear headphones, battery life usually amounts to almost 10 hours. But there are also top-of-the-range designs that let you listen to music wirelessly for up to 40 hours when fully charged.