The fact that our children grow up way too fast is shown at the latest when enrollment is due. Now is the time to buy a satchel. Here, the optics of the lance play a decisive role for the offspring. A satchel is indeed a colourful and imaginative apparition today. However, it is above all the design, the design and the interior of this school accessory that determine its quality. The satchel has to convince today with its ergonomics and safety features.
Although the knapsack must please your child, the external appearance is actually of secondary importance to the purchase decision. In our guide and product comparison, we present you the usual 10 satchels as usual. In addition, we will inform you about the legislator’s requirements for a satchel and answer the most important questions about this accessory. Our guide leads you in a few steps to a satchel, which does the novice good.
Top 10 Satchels
- Top Zip Closure
- Interior Zip Pocket
- Exterior Zip Pocket
- Crossgrain leather
- Inside zip and multifunction pockets
- Zip closure, fabric lining
- 【Premium & Lightweight】Made of 300D polyester fabric and smooth YKK zippers, wear-resistant and durable. Size- 18*12*5 inches, weighs only...
- 【Spacious & Classified】Cloth laptop compartment with elastic rope for protecting your 15in laptop better; large side pocket in the main...
- 【Comfortable & Flexible】Adjustable shoulder strap with soft and breathable pad is designed for comfortably carrying, helping release stress from...
- FULL GRAIN LEATHER : Our bags are made from full grain leather and lined with durable canvas and are Handcrafted by skilled craftsmen
- CONVENIENCE: With Concealed locks under the Main strap this bag is easy and fast to open and lock . Removable and adjustable shoulder strap gives an...
- STORAGE : With Size 18" width x 13" height x 5" depth ( Fits laptop upto 17.5 inches) , 1 big laptop compartment, 2 small sections and and 4 small...
- Size (WxHxD): approximately 18 x 13 x 5 in inches (perfect for documents, laptop / notebook, netbook or iPad)
- inside 3 huge compartment with 2 zipper pocket outer 1 pocket in front...!!!
- Antique pull up leather zip satchel from Frye's best selling Melissa collection
- 1 interior zip pocket, 2 interior sleeve pockets
- Adjustable leather straps
- Fossil is inspired by American creativity and ingenuity. Bringing new life into the watch and leathers industry by making quality, fashionable...
- Are you a finder or seeker with style (and a lot of other stuff) to spare? Then Rachel’s classic silhouette is especially for you. Our must-have...
- Faux Leather Satchel Bag; Zipper Closure; imported
- Function: This high-quality leather backpack is deal for school, collage, or the office with its large compartment for Laptop and for books. It is...
- Special features: The adjustable Shoulder Straps and roll top closure provide vintage style and allow you to change the bag’s volume to suit your...
- Size and material: This bag is made of high quality vegetable tanned leather, Lined with Canvas. This bag measures 13"(L), 17"(Rolled) -(H)-...
- Fashion design:The tactical backpack has compact appearance, conform to the tactical trends, easy to carry.
- Multiple storage function: the main inter pocket with three auxiliary pockets’ design,The single shoulder bag is easy for categorizing and storing...
- High quality fabric: nylon fabric, wear-resistant and anti-tearing, waterproof, long use time, saving cost of living.
What is a satchel?
A satchel is the basic equipment for children who go to school. Usually, the satchel is carried on the back and provides enough space for everything your children need in school. In addition to books and pencil cases so also include food and drinks in the satchel. The origin of the satchel lies in the knapsacks used by soldiers. With this sturdy bag, which could be carried on the back and included all important things for a soldier, the soldiers moved through the country.
And so it happens that in some areas, the term “knapsack” is used to describe the satchel. Today’s satchels are very sturdy and are made of dirt and water repellent materials. The shape of the satchel is rectangular, so books and notebooks fit easily into the satchel. The pioneer of the plastic satchels was the company Sternjakob, which is today known as the company “Scout”. This company brought out in the 1970s, the first satchels, which were lightweight and robust and also dirt-repellent. And this system has asserted itself to this day.
The ergonomic guidelines play an important role in the production of satchels today. For this reason, the satchels are produced in portrait format, as they are gentle on the back and neck. The vertical format of the satchel also has the advantage that it has a larger footprint and thus stands more stable. The side panels of the satchels are provided with pockets in which drinks bottles or small umbrellas can bestow.
Important to the primary school satchels and school backpacks are the reflective materials. Because in road traffic, the safety of schoolchildren is very important, especially in the dark. And in winter it is usually dark when the children go to school. Therefore, the satchels are stocked with materials and surfaces that reflect. The satchels are available for children in great designs and colours – some designed especially for girls, some especially for boys. Of course, there are also a few socks, which is neutral in colour and design, and thus can be used by girls and boys alike.
Since some parents complain about the weight of the packed primary school wreath, some manufacturers have developed the so-called school trolleys. These are not, like the classic satchel worn on the back, but pulled behind him. As a result, the load on the back is gone, but the muscles are usually burdened by pulling only one-sided. For this reason, experts still advise the classic execution of the satchel.
Plus and minus points of a satchel
In our comparison of a backpack, including a serving school backpack, as a reference.
- High ergonomic factor
- Flexible, optimally adaptable to the needs of the child
- Wide scope of delivery, usually available as a set
- Limited scope: Designed only for primary school
The right handling of a schoolbag
A satchel is to be worn on the back. However, one often observes that the satchel is not worn properly or is sitting incorrectly. Especially the slightly larger schoolchildren find it cool if they only wear the satchel over one shoulder or in the hand. Some children even wear the satchel in front of their chest or hang it over. These types of wear are definitely wrong and harm the child and his health. Not for nothing, the satchels have two shoulder straps, which are also padded. In general, the satchels also have a chest and a hip belt, so that the satchel sits even better. The shoulder straps of the Rangers must be tight, but should not cut into the shoulder.
If the shoulder straps are pulled too tight, it may happen that the satchel sits too high on the back. If the shoulder straps are too loose, the satchel will slide down and the spine and pelvis will be heavily strained. A satchel should also sit in the middle of the child’s back and should not rest on the buttocks or tailbone. By tightening the chest and waist belt, the satchel sits close to the body, so that the back muscles are not burdened. If the satchel is in the right place, the child will feel comfortable with it. Another important point is the packing of the satchel. Just put books and folders in it, it’s definitely wrong.
That’s what makes a good student Santa
While the primary reason for the child to go shopping for schoolbags is the colour and design of the satchel, parents place value on completely different things. Ergonomics, safety, weight and volume are just a few of the points that are taken into account when purchasing the satchel.
The ergonomics of the satchel is an important criterion that makes a good satchel. Most of the back of the Rangers is equipped with mesh material, which ensures good air circulation. The back is upholstered and ergonomically shaped. Because this ensures the perfect fit and hold on the backs of children.
A good satchel has a flexible partition that can be individually inserted. This ensures that books do not slip and the box with the broken bread does not come into contact with the notebooks and books. Otherwise, the satchel usually has one or two other subjects in the pencil case and Co can be sorted. Also on the sides are usually two bags attached, which provide additional storage space.
A good satchel has padded shoulder straps that can be adjusted in height and a chest and waist belt. With these additional straps, the satchel gets a better fit and hold. And thanks to the adjustability of the shoulder straps, the satchel can be adjusted to the size of the child.
The base of the Rangers is waterproof and just stable, so the satchel does not constantly tip over.
These different satchels are there
The fact that satchels are not the same as satchels have already been shown in our comparison. Generally, we distinguish the satchels in:
- The actual satchel, also known as knapsack: This type of satchel is especially recommended for elementary school students, as their rectangular shape and their stability make them ideal. The interior layout and various storage compartments outside the Ranzens provide plenty of space for books, exercise books and Co. The fact that the classic satchel is made of solid material in the back, the weight of the satchel shifts to the entire back of the child. In addition, these satchels are stable, waterproof and robust, so you can plug in and endure. As a rule, the materials are washable, so you can wipe off dirt.
- School backpacks, the cooler version of the satchels: Some elementary school children already have a school backpack instead of a satchel. However, this type of snatching is inappropriate for primary school children because they are too flexible and the weight is not properly distributed on the child’s back. In addition, the school backpacks are not waterproof, but they also do not have interior dividers.
- The drawable satchels, the trolleys: school trolleys are also a variant of the satchels. Many parents are thrilled with this type because the weight of the Ranzens not on the back and shoulders, but on the trolley. This is equipped with wheels so that the child pulls the trolley behind him. From the construction of these school, trolleys are like the classic satchels, however, experts advise against the use of these trolleys, since the burden of pulling is one-sided. If the trolley is heavy, the child has to struggle and takes a crooked posture, so that possibly wrong postures can be the result. In addition, most students find the school trolleys uncool.
What should you look for when buying a satchel?
As a parent, you probably pay quite different points to your schoolbag purchase than your offspring. After all, this satchel is likely to accompany your child for the next 4 years during elementary school, so he should also bring along and fulfil certain points. In one of the previous sections, we discussed what makes a good satchel and these are also the criteria that you should consider when buying. And these are:
The ergonomics of the satchel in the back area
To minimize the burden on the spine, the satchel manufacturers are constantly developing newer systems. Thus, the back pieces can be adjusted on the modern satchel, whereby the spine is less stressed. The satchel should be designed so that the back part takes over the course of the spine. In addition, a padding of the back area is essential to compensate for the weight of the satchel with its contents.
With a satchel without padding school books could push through and push on the back – which happens with some school backpacks. With a good satchel, the back can be adjusted to the size of the child so that the satchel grows along with it. Materials such as net fabric ensure that the air circulation is given and the child does not sweat under the back of the rancour.
Weight and volume of the snatch for children
Regarding the weight of the satchel, there is a guideline that states that the packed satchel should not exceed 15 per cent of the child’s body weight. In small children, the weight of the snatch can be a challenge. For that reason, many parents pay attention to their curb weight when they buy the satchel. For example, there are satchels weighing 1.2 kilograms, but there are also satchels that can score with 800 grams. The capacity of the satchel is between 20 and 24 litres in elementary school. In secondary schools, it may well be that more volume is needed.
Straps and straps
Of course, the shoulder straps are the most important thing about the satchel. Through them, the burden is distributed on the back of the child. And that’s why it’s important that the shoulder straps are appropriately wide and padded. A must: They must be adjustable so that you can adjust the height of the satchel to the size of your child. An additional chest and hip belt is also to be considered as meaningful, as these straps the grip of the satchel is reinforced again.
Satchels and security
The DIN standard states that satchels must be equipped with reflectors. At least 20 per cent of the front and side surfaces should be filled with fluorescent materials and at least 10 per cent of the surfaces should be equipped with retroreflective materials. These materials light up when, for example, the spotlight falls on the satchel. As a result, your child is seen better and early in the road. Flashing bracelets, LED lights, such as the school backpack “Ylvi & the Minimoomis” have additional protection.
Useful – child-friendly closures
When purchasing the satchel, have your child open and close the lock on the main compartment. The easiest way to find out if the closure is child-friendly and easy to handle. Most schoolboy Santas have a magnetic clasp. To open, they must be pushed sideways or they must be turned. When closing the lancet, the magnetic locks simply “snap” again.
Frequently asked questions about the satchel at a glance
In this section, we will discuss several questions about “Satchels and Knapsacks”. These questions are most frequently asked by users on Internet forums, on shopping portals or at the local retailer.
- Where do I buy a satchel best? Around the whole year and, of course, especially in the months before enrollment, you will find a wide selection of backpacks for the ABC shooters on the spot and in the popular online shops. The satchels can be bought on the internet at Amazon or eBay as well as in specialized shops. The selection online is usually more diverse, even with discount promotions you can count on the Internet. On the other hand, competent advice can be expected on site. On the other hand, you will discover numerous informational guides written by professionals on the subject online.
- How much is a satchel? The price range on the market is quite wide. Last but not least, the price depends on whether you only want to buy a satchel or a set. However, expect a low three-digit price for a knapsack. Do not get involved in low-priced deals, because a satchel must comply with the norms and regulations of the legislator.
- What is better to buy a satchel in a set or individually? This question follows directly from the previous one. Most manufacturers today offer a satchel in a multi-piece set, which usually includes a shoe or gym bag, a slipper wallet, a briefcase, and a case for travel and pocket money. More and more frequently a sports bag and a kit for a school bag can be found in a satchel set. The purchase of a set is not only easier but saves money because individually costs the accessories more experience. Sometimes, however, it may be better to buy just a knapsack, for example, if your child has already been given a lot of accessories at the start of school.
- Is a satchel or a trolley better for elementary school age? Wearing a spine on the back is a perfect match for the anatomical features of the body unless the satchel is not too heavy – so it does not weigh more than 10 per cent of the child’s body weight. Pulling a trolley may seem comfortable at first, but it does mean one-sided loading. In addition, a satchel is easier to handle in public transport than a trolley.
- What is a school uniform? Again and again, we mention in our product recommendations and in the purchase guide the applicable standards with regard to the satchel. It is mainly about the standard DIN 58124, which regulates several aspects of the design. Thus, this standard requires sufficient equipment with reflectors, namely 20 per cent at the front and 10 per cent laterally. In addition, the standard contains recommendations on the weight of a satchel: The full satchel must not weigh more than 10 per cent of the child’s body weight. Overall, the legislature focuses on the ergonomic factor, including the shape of the back and the straps.
- How much does a satchel weigh and how big is the volume? A high-quality satchel weighs between 900 and 1,200 grams. The less the weight of the lancet, the easier it is to avoid spinal curvatures and deformities of the body. The volume of a backpack varies between 18 and 24 litres, whereby already 20 litres are usually sufficient to stow all school utensils.
- Why are S-shaped risers important? A shoulder strap in S-shape corresponds to the anatomical features of the body and ensures optimal weight distribution.
- Is a stocked pencil case worth it? This decision is left to the buyer. Insofar as the manufacturer equips the case with high-quality accessories that also meet the requirements of the respective elementary school, there is nothing wrong with a loaded case.
- Which closure is preferable? Depending on the model, a satchel may have a magnetic twist or snap closure. Both closures are easily operated by a child and are also reliable. Regardless of whether you want to buy the satchel online or on-site, you and your child can test different designs together in one shop. Find out which closure is right for your novice.
- How can the school accessories in a satchel be meaningfully classified? The most important recommendation is to place the heavy textbooks closer to the back for optimal pressure relief. The right place for the booklets would be in the front part. For the pencil case, the front pocket is best, alternatively, there is the lunch box safely stowed. For the bottles, manufacturers provide either special brackets or side pockets.
- How is a satchel best to clean? At least at the beginning of the first summer holidays, it becomes obvious that the satchel urgently needs a thorough cleaning. However, it is not so easy to clean this rather chunky schoolbag. Unlike many rucksacks, a knapsack can not be cleaned in the washing machine. We recommend that you empty the satchel first, then remove crumbs and coarse dirt and then clean the interior with a wet dishwashing sponge and detergent. Eventually, several passes will be necessary. You do not have to dry the satchel, the modern PVC fabrics are easy to clean.
- Are there any spare parts for a satchel? If a lock is broken or a strap is torn off, it would, of course, be a pity to dispose of an expensive satchel. However, not all manufacturers offer replacement accessories. You must, therefore, contact the manufacturer or ask, for example in a shoe repair, whether in your case the satchel is to be repaired.
- Where should a satchel be disposed of? The elementary school is over and the child wants a school backpack instead of a satchel? Then the question arises, where to go with the old satchel. If this is still functional, you are welcome to sell the backpack via eBay or in another way. But even a used and possibly broken knapsack may be useful as a practical and lockable container for various trifles.
Buying guide: In just a few steps to the right product
We want to make your purchase easier and guide you to a satchel that best suits your child’s needs. Our short Buying Guide will guide you to your desired product with five short questions.
- Has your child fallen in love with a particular model? At least 4 years the satchel will remain the faithful companion of your daughter or your son and should absolutely please the child. The market offers a wide range of models in a sophisticated design that is both school uniform and TÜV certified.
- Do you want a “healthy” and safe satchel for your child? In this case, the ergonomic factor has priority for you. Pay particular attention to the design of the back: soft padding with breathable mesh, shoulder straps in S-shape, chest and hip belt are a must. A height-adjustable carrying system is also desirable so that the satchel grows with and is suitable for primary school students in any body size. An indication of the manufacturer’s absence of harmful substances and toxins in the material used must also be included. The reflectors on the front and sides are vital and required by law. Note: Although several colours have been approved for the design of the reflector strips, only orange and yellow are glowing brightly – to the regret of some kids – and therefore offer maximum safety.
- Would you like to save your wallet while buying a ranza? A Billigranzen is not the right option, because the manufacturers save in this case in material quality and workmanship. On the other hand, savings can be made by purchasing a versatile satchel set and an already stocked pencil case.
- Did your child receive many school supplies before enrollment? Then a populated pencil case may be superfluous. However, pens, rulers and other accessories are consumables and are sometimes lost. If the desired model offers a stocked pencil case, so it is not a problem. Even better, if the filling comes from a well-known manufacturer.
- Where should the bottle go? Consider this aspect before buying. A drinking bottle comes to school every day and it may happen that the child does not close it tightly. It, therefore, makes sense if there is room in a side pocket or in a special holder. Tip: As a rule, the manufacturers assume that a 0.3-litre bottle is the standard.