With a scanner, you are no longer dependent on a copy centre. You can do various copy jobs at home. Similar to the printer, a scanner is now standard equipment in every modern office. The applications of a scanner are versatile. Depending on the model, you can not only scan documents but also images, entire books or graphics. After the scan process, you can process the files further. There are numerous types of scanners, such as flatbed scanners, handheld scanners and film scanners. The scanners usually require software to work. There are now scanners that work wirelessly with Bluetooth technology.
Top 10 Scanners
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Jennifer O'Neill, Steven Lack, Patrick McGoohan (Actors)
- David Cronenberg (Director)
- Enjoy high speed scanning in as fast as 8 seconds, with the included USB Type-C cable. With USB Type-C the Cano scan lied 400 has one cable for data...
- Preserve detailed photos and images thanks to 4800 x 4800 dpi resolution, and with image enhancements, such as color restore and dust removal, Your...
- Enjoy ease of use with 'EZ' Buttons. With auto scan mode, the Scanner automatically detects what you are scanning; built-in PDF buttons, scan and save...
- FAST SPEEDS - Scans color and black and white documents at blazing speed up to 16ppm. Color scanning won’t slow you down as the color scan speed...
- ULTRA COMPACT – At less than 1 foot in length and only about 1.5 pounds in weight you can fit this device virtually anywhere (a bag, a purse, even a...
- READY WHENEVER YOU ARE – The DS-640 mobile scanner is powered via an included micro USB 3.0 cable, allowing you to use it even where there is no...
- Easy wireless scanning — scan to smartphones, tablets, computers and online cloud storage accounts (1) from your desktop, smartphone or tablet using...
- Get organized in a snap — scan up to 35 ppm/70 ipm (1); Single-Step Technology captures both sides in one pass
- Quickly scan stacks of paper — robust 50-sheet Auto Document Feeder easily accommodates multiple paper types and sizes in one batch
- Optimized user experience: ScanSnap iX1600 features an intuitive 4.3inch touch screen for complete end to end scanning and data utilization
- Customize your preference: The scanner supports up to 30 customizable profiles; Customize the profile on the touch screen based on your scanning needs...
- Scan anywhere you want whenever you want: Wi-Fi compatibility allows you to directly connect to your smart devices or cloud services without a PC, and...
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Liliana Komorowska, Valérie Valois, Steve Parrish (Actors)
- Christian Duguay (Director)
- Everyday scanning for photos and documents — 4800 dpi optical resolution (1) for amazing clarity and detail.
- Scan and share on cloud services (3) — includes Epson Easy Photo Scan software for scanning to Evernote and more
- Fast speeds — scan letter-sized documents in as few as 10 seconds
- Fastest and lightest mobile single sheet fed document scanner in its class(1) small, portable scanner ideal for easy, on the go scanning
- Fast scans a single page in as fast as 5.5 seconds(2)
- Versatile paper handling scans documents upto 8.5 x 72 inches, as well as ID cards and receipts
- COMPACT DESIGN AND FAST SCAN SPEEDS HANDLE A VARIETY OF DOCUMENTS: Scan single and double sided, documents in a single pass at up to 25 ppm1....
- QUICK AND EASY SCANNING WITHOUT INSTALLING SOFTWARE: Mass Storage Device support via Scan to USB for file scanning and retrieval by opening the drive...
- EASY TO USE AND SAVES TIME: Scan documents to preset destinations like a connected PC or USB flash drive with the push of a button
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson (Actors)
- Richard Linklater (Director) - Richard Linklater (Writer) - Anne Walker-McBay (Producer)
What is a scanner?A scanner is a special scanning device that systematically scans the submitted documents. The analogue output data is transmitted to digital format thanks to sensors and an analogue-to-digital converter. This allows you to save the scanned documents on a computer and continue editing. The most widely used scanner model is the flatbed scanner, which is very popular in both the private and commercial sectors. A flatbed scanner makes it possible to digitize documents, photos, magazines and even books. The shape of a flatbed scanner is similar to a very flat photocopier.
This is how a scanner worksToday, most scanners are connected directly to the computer via a USB cable. Before you set up such a connection, you should first install a scanner driver. Together with the scanner, you will usually get one or more CDs, which in addition to the drivers also contain a suitable scan program. After installing the software, connect the scanner to the computer via USB cable or via Wi-Fi (depending on the model). The device should be easily accessible, so it is recommended that the device be placed on a desk or on the shelf.
What types of scanners are there?
Which connection types are there?
What should you watch out for when cleaning the scanner?Scanners are among the relatively low-maintenance devices. The mechanism is enclosed inside the housing, not freely accessible from the outside and intended for a long-term operation. After a few years of operation, only the quality of the lighting unit can be reduced. The case of a scanner is best cleaned with a dry cloth. At regular intervals, you should clear the document glass of dust and dirt, so that the scan results are still of good quality.
What to look for when buying a scanner?Before you decide on a scanner, you should get to know the most important purchasing features:
- Delivery. Be aware of the scope of delivery when purchasing a scanner. In addition to the device and the power cord should also be a suitable USB connection cable, which is not always the case. Otherwise, you have to buy the cable separately. Furthermore, the delivery should include a driver CD and scan software. For flatbed scanners with a translucent attachment, appropriate holders for individual slides and negative strips should be included.
- The purpose. There are several types of scanners, so you should consider for now what you want to use the scanner in the future. If you just want to digitize paper photos, slides and filmstrips for posterity, then a photo and slide scanner is the best choice. Above all, scan documents and occasionally pictures, then you get along with the traditional flatbed scanner best. On the other hand, a retractable scanner will give you the best service if you have to digitize a large number of documents in the same format over and over again. For people who want to scan documents and photos on the go for professional reasons, the modern handheld scanner is the best alternative.
- Connectivity. Today’s scanners can be connected to other devices via USB as well as via WLAN. Some devices can even be controlled from a smartphone. Modern scanners also have a so-called Scan-to-Cloud and Scan-to-PDF function.
- Scan resolution. This indicates how well the scanned image looks in the end and depends on the so-called dpi number. Dpi stands for “dots per inch” and represents the scanning resolution. A typical scanning device with a dpi value of 4,800 dpi, for example, is thus able to display a maximum of 4,800 characters per inch. Keep in mind that the higher the maximum dpi value of a scanner, the better the quality of the digitized images.
- Colour depth. If you need the scanner mainly for private applications, then a colour depth of 24 bits is sufficient. For professional use, you should at least get a scanner with a colour depth of 96 bits.
- Light source. A scanner needs a light source to operate. These are either cold light or LEDs. More and more scanners are being equipped with LEDs because they offer the advantage of using less power. LEDs also last longer than the cold light bulbs.
- Useful extras and additional functions. Some devices have various additional functions, such as the cleaning function. This is used in photos to produce outstanding image results. For the cleaning infrared units are processed, partly also finds a UV light application.
Which accessories can be useful for a scanner?After purchasing a scanner, you can alternatively purchase some accessories :
- The USB cable. This is probably the most important accessory for a scanner. In many cases, the USB cable is not included and must be purchased separately. Without a USB cable, communication between the scanner and the computer is not possible.
- Storage bag (for mobile scanners). For a mobile scanner, you’ll definitely need a padded storage bag to keep your device safe. For such scanners, you will get different transport bags and rucksacks on the market, all of which offer sufficient protection against damage.
- Cleaning spray and compressed air. For the scanners, there are special cleaning agents, with which you can clean not only the housing but also the document glass. Such cleaning sprays contain no chemical additives and do not attack the sensitive components and the housing. A small can of compressed air can help you to clean the scanner. You can easily blow out the dust from the cracks of the scanner. Important: The dust can have a negative effect on a perfect scan result, so there should be no dirt and dust, especially on the glass surface.
Which alternatives to the scanner are there?If you do not have a scanner at hand and yet want to scan a document or image for fast, you can use the following alternatives:
- Digital camera. With a digital camera, you can also digitize documents or pictures. To do this you need to place the templates on a table and light well from both sides. The digital camera can also be aligned with a Reproständers so that you can photograph the template directly from above.
- A smartphone as a scanner alternative. Most modern smartphones have a relatively good digital camera. If you get a free app, such as Genius Scan or CamScanner, then you can get good quality scans. These apps work even in low light and they are relatively easy to use. In addition, they are equipped with various archive functions that allow you to export the scanned documents even to other devices.