The school backpack scores with cool designs and flexible use in school, in everyday life and in the free time. The leading brands provide lightweight yet durable school backpacks with an extra padded and ergonomic carrying system. This should keep the burden on the schoolchildren as low as possible. Practical compartments, brackets, features and easy handling make the schoolbag an indispensable companion for years to come.
In our school backpack comparison on STERN.de stand the advantages, but also the disadvantages of the trendy models. In doing so, we devote ourselves to the carrying system, the volume, the weight and the reflectors, which protect every wearer in bad visibility on the road. Afterwards, the guide provides you with the most important criteria for hiring school backpacks, purchasing and equipment for elementary and secondary schools. So you are guaranteed to grab the right school backpack that grows with your child and combines the really important features at a fair price.
Top 10 School Backpacks
- ★LOTS OF STORAGE SPACE&POCKETS: One separated laptop compartment holds 15.6 Inch Laptop as well as 15 Inch,14 Inch and 13 Inch Laptop. One spacious...
- ★COMFY&STURDY: Comfortable airflow back design with thick but soft multi-panel ventilated padding, gives you maximum back support. Breathable and...
- ★FUNCTIONAL&SAFE: A luggage strap allows backpack fit on luggage/suitcase, slide over the luggage upright handle tube for easier carrying. With a...
- 【LIGHTWEIGHT MATERIAL】This School bag is made of water resistant durable polyester, good air permeability and heat dissipation with two padded...
- The model diagram is for your reference and does not include animal pendants.COOWOZ
- 【UPDATED STRUCTURE】The College laptop backpack daypack has one top-loading compartment for storing the majority of your gear books and notebooks,...
- This product is made with recycled content as part of our ambition to end plastic waste.
- Lifetime warranty.
- LoadSpring shoulder straps for added comfort.
- LIGHTWEIGHT:The lightweight backpack is made of durable water resistant Polyester.It weights 0.36kg only.Featuring its classic silhouette,the...
- UPDATED STRUCTURE:The basic backpack has one top-loading compartment for storing the majority of your gear books and notebooks. Main zippered...
- SPACIOUS:External dimensions: 16.9"x12.9"x5.5"(HxLxW);Capacity:20Liters;External pocket :9.5"x1.6"x7.3"; Weight:0.36KG.
- Dimensions: 19 x 13.5 x 8.5-inch
- Main compartment + secondary pockets with tablet sleeve / organization + 2 accessory pockets
- The Suspension System provides relief when carrying heavier loads. It does so by dampening the shock of weight transfer while transporting your gear.
- ✓ROOMY IN STYLE—Chic graffiti prints design with spacious main compartment holds up to 25L/20pounds
- ✓MULTI-COMPARTMENTS--1*main compartment, 1*laptop sleeve, 1*inner mesh pocket, 2*drop-in side pockets, 2*zipped side pockets,1*zipped front...
- ✓1 PACK FOR ALL OCCASIONS--Great rucksack for everyday use, school, commute, weekend getaway, short hikes, camping and more
- CLASSIC DESIGN: Dickies laptop backpack is built for practical use while offering timeless style. Made of durable, water-resistant Polyester and...
- DURABLE for a school season with a lightweight setup. Water resistant, compact and sturdy - ensuring your electronics remain carefully encased and...
- SPACIOUS INTERIOR: Multiple compartments ensure a nimble yet spacious backpack. Space specifically designed for carrying electronics as well as plenty...
- Backpack Size for Your Reference: 32(L)*19(W)*46cm(H); 12.6(L)*7.48(W)*18.4Inch(H), Weight:0.75KG; Boys backpacks for school,Large capacity,meet kids'...
- The Material of Backpack You may be Concern:As a professional seller with our own brand, We always use strict quality control products for children's...
- Why Our Backpack Brings You a Comfortable Feeling: Thoughtful design for children to bring better comfort experience,Widen and thicken durable...
- This product is made with recycled content as part of our ambition to end plastic waste.
- Lifetime warranty.
- LoadSpring shoulder straps help ease the weight.
- Storage Space & Pockets:One separate laptop compartment hold 15.6 Inch Laptop as well as 15 Inch,14 Inch and 13 Inch Macbook/Laptop.One spacious...
- COMFY&STURDY: Comfortable airflow back design with thick but soft multi-panel ventilated padding, gives you maximum back support. Breathable and...
- FUNCTIONAL&SAFE: A luggage strap allows backpack fit on luggage/suitcase, slide over the luggage upright handle tube for easier carrying. With a...
What’s better: school backpack or satchel?
The perfect school bag should be based on the individual needs of your children. The classic remains the satchel, which gets almost every child in the first grade for enrollment. Basically, the purchase of the school bag is based on its purpose. So the satchel is primarily there to transport the school items safely to school. For this reason, the contents should be protected from rain and dirt. Also in the weight distribution, the leading satchels score with an even distribution. The decision was pretty simple a few years ago.
The elementary students and freshmen got a satchel. At the end of elementary school, we went to the school backpack. Today there are already practical school backpacks for first graders and elementary school students. It’s not exactly easy to make out the main differences between satchels and school backpacks. Actually, both bags are suitable for transporting school supplies to school. In direct comparison school backpacks often convince by a significantly lower weight, which makes a positive impact in a reduced burden on the students. If we compare the weight of a school backpack and a satchel, the backpacks are usually ahead of the pack.
Advantages and disadvantages of school backpacks:
- Cool, casual design
- Mesh back padding
- Low weight
- Adjustable carrying system
- Reflectors improve the visibility
- Water repellent material
- Laptop compartment, USB plug
- Cable management integrated
- Limited choice for elementary school
- Lower packing volume
- Partly high purchase price
When should parents buy a school backpack?
The transitions between the satchels and school backpacks are fluid. Will the school backpack meet the high demands
- Ergonomics and
- Weight fair,
Your child can already get a school backpack in the 1st class. When making your selection, make sure you check the manufacturer’s instructions as to whether a bag is suitable for elementary school students and school beginners. Most parents choose a satchel in first grade. Here you play it safe that the common conditions are given in any case. Listen to your circle of acquaintances and speak to the teachers during the preparatory event or on the parents’ evening. Often the pros can give good advice. Play it safe when you use only certified and tested satchels and school backpacks because they bring exactly what the children need in the first years.
The most important criteria when buying a school backpack
Given the variety of different school bags, it is not easy for parents to keep a cool head and buy the right shoe backpack. In addition to the price play for most
- the security,
- the upholstery and
- the ergonomics
a crucial role. In addition, the few want to buy a new school bag every year. The school backpack should grow and be adjusted. Not least the design should survive more than one trend. The manufacturers have come up with a whole lot when it comes to appeal to elementary school students and young people. For example, there are school backpacks that vary in their design and pattern through the use of velcro.
Others rely on neutral patterns or colours that are not tied to a fashion trend. Buy a pink school backpack with princesses and horses, you can assume that this bag is not permanent in the long run in the favour. Even though it can often be very practical to combine a school bag or a school backpack with countless individual bags, this can confuse a child. There are no more than five individual pockets in a bag. Here it is very possible that the children keep track. A bag with
- Security compartment and zipper for personal use,
- with a laptop compartment,
- a compartment for the drinking bottle,
- a side pocket and
- a main subject
Fulfils the common standards, which ensure order in the school backpack.
What is allowed to weigh a school backpack?
Last but not least, the Stiftung Warentest has found out that many school bags and school backpacks are far too difficult for school beginners and children. Often the students take many things with them every day that could easily remain in the classroom. Imagine now that the children travel a long way to school, sometimes with buses and trains, the burden is even more extreme. For a long time, the following formula applied: The satchel weight must not exceed a 10 per cent limit of body weight. Now we did not come up with this rule but took it from the school uniform standard of DIN 58124 from 1986.
Let us illustrate this with an example. Let’s say we have a 9-year-old girl with a height of 140 cm and a weight of 32 kg. The satchel should not weigh more than 3.2 kg with all books according to this specification. Today, this formula is considered obsolete. It was cancelled in 2010. Another recommendation refers to a third of the bodyweight, which may correspond to the satchel weight. Let’s go back to our 9-year-old girl, she can not only carry 3.2 kg but a good 10 kg. Other institutes and studies advise not to exceed 12-15% of body weight.
School backpack: Which volume is enough?
A school backpack should have at least a volume of 10-15 litres. Upwards, the leading models in our school backpack comparison on STERN.de can reach a stately 20 to 30 litres.
How does a school backpack fit properly?
Only when the school backpack or satchel is in the right place, the loads spread evenly over the back. The parents should therefore regularly check the fit of the bags and – if necessary – correct:
- The top of the school backpack is at the height of the shoulders.
- Also on the sides, no backpack should protrude clearly over the shoulders.
- The school backpack is on the shoulder blades – close to the body.
- Below, the bag closes with the iliac crest.
Which school backpack for little children?
For the beginners and small children, you should look for a lightweight bag or a knapsack that grows and comes on a low weight. Make sure that the straps and straps exactly match your body proportions. Too casual and large school backpacks do not fit to a slender and delicate back of children. Young children should never go to elementary school with large shoulder bags. You can not wear these schoolbags properly.
Which school backpack for the upper school?
As soon as elementary school students outgrow their infancy and become adolescents, the knapsack falls by the wayside. Almost everyone accesses a stylish school backpack that is also used in their spare time. Still, nobody should carry the backpack hanging over one shoulder. This would distribute the weight on one side and lead to severe back pain in the long term.
School backpack Trends: What’s up?
The classic gym bag, as many may still know from childhood, are in fashion. These are joined by colourful patterns and plain retro backpacks. For the little ones, the bags score with velcro. Here the kids can decide for themselves how their bag looks the next day. Teenagers prefer trendy brands, like
- Jack Wolfskin,
- Satch or
These labels retain their cool look to bring the benefits of practical school backpacks with a decidedly casual style.
How to clean a school backpack?
Most of the backpacks in comparison you can easily clean with clean water, which makes sense, especially for coarse dirt. At first, mom and dad should take the time each evening and pack the school bag together. You may discover in time remnants of break bread or paper balls that are no longer in the satchel. At the same time, you train with your children an efficient packing system.
How do you keep order in the school backpack?
However, the way you pack a school bag can improve comfort. On the one hand, you should check which particularly heavy books and school supplies remain in the school, in the classroom or in the locker room. On the other hand, the appropriate school backpack determines the wearing comfort that accompanies the children through the school day. These practical tips make the satchel packing even easier:
- Store heavy school supplies and books close to your back – in the back of the satchel.
- The satchel weight should not exceed 12% of body weight.
- If the lower edge of the satchel is level with the hips, it will be worn correctly and your child will not walk with either a round back or a hollow back.
- Start by packing the school backpack together and avoid unnecessary utensils or toys.
- Pre-book all staplers and books so they will not be damaged in the backpack.
- Put together a packing list with your child, which you simply work off every day.
- Be sure to buy a certified school backpack. A shoulder bag or a casual backpack is not suitable for school.