If a vehicle is equipped with seat belt straps, with only a few exceptions you may carry your child only with an officially approved restraint. A restraint is a child seat with or without backrest. The second model is called booster seat or car seat riser. The trade surprises with a wide range of booster seats, which differ considerably not only in their colour but rather in terms of material and features.
While all certified child booster seats meet the minimum safety requirements for transporting children, the mid-range and full-size models offer you more overall safety features. But that does not mean that our product comparison on STERN.de advises you from the outset on the relatively expensive booster seats. The first overview of the product range is provided by our product presentations, whereby the editors primarily present the current bestsellers and the best-rated products from all price segments. The purchase guide informs you in detail about the structure and function of a booster seat.
Furthermore, we explain the norms and rules of the StVO regarding the carriage of children in a car or another vehicle. A comparison presents the advantages and disadvantages of a child seat without a backrest compared to those of a classic child seat. Our guide will help you find a model that best suits your family constellation and best suits your needs by answering five practical questions.
Top 10 Seat Lifts
- INCREASE YOUR MOBILITY. Contains (1) Carex Upeasy Seat Assist portable lifting seat and chair assist. For increased mobility in the home or anywhere....
- WORKS ON MOST CHAIRS AND FIRM SOFAS. Use inside or outside the home on most armchairs and sofas. The standing aid is portable so you can also take it...
- SELF POWERED. A lift assistance device for those who can safely walk on their own, with or without a walking aid, and once standing are active at home...
- HELPS YOU EFFORTLESSLY STAND UP: The fully electric sit to stand lift for adults provides 100% assistance for up to 300 lbs to ensure a gentle and...
- DESIGNED TO FIT ON MOST ARMCHAIRS, COUCHES, AND SOFAS: This chair lifts for elderly features our patented Lever Lift technology to curve the seat for...
- COMFORTABLE SEAT ASSIST: The Carex lift seat features memory foam for ultimate comfort to allow for sitting at long periods of time. This makes it...
- Adjust the seat lifting cushion to appropriate weight setting.
- Lifts up to 340 lbs.
- Place center of the UPEASY Seat Assist on a stable seating surface. The front of UPEASY seat lift should slightly overhang the front of the armchair.
- HELPS YOU STAND UP. This portable lifting seat and chair lift provides 70% assistance for those up to 230lbs. The seat lifter ensures gentle & safe...
- WORKS ON MOST ARMCHAIRS, COUCHES, AND SOFAS. Use inside or outside the home on most armchairs and sofas. The standing aid is portable so you can also...
- PATENTED TECHNOLOGY. Consider a leader in elderly assistance products, Carex is also a leader with chair risers. Our patented LeveLift Technology...
- Note: For higher power, Seat Lift Cushion will make noise when using it, please decide whether to buy it or not after understanding the details.
- Seat Lift Assist To Help You Stand Up Easily: Our up easy seat assist can provide 70% lift assistance. The maximum support weight is 300Lbs
- Stepless Adjustment: Our electric uplift seat assist is Stepless adjustable. Through the remote control, it can easily assist the elderly to stand up...
- Contains (1) Carex Upeasy Power Seat, portable electric lifting seat. For increased mobility, this portable lifting seat is lightweight and has two...
- This portable lifting seat provides 100% assistance for those up to 300 lbs. The patented LeveLift Technology ensures gentle & safe lift without...
- The patented LeveLift Technology of the Upeasy Power Seat provides 100% electric lift for those who need help to stand up from their armchair or sofa....
- SEAT LIFT KIT. a.k.a. SEAT SPACERS / SEAT RISERS
- RAISES THE OPENWHEELER COCKIPIT WITH 5 INCHES
- ALL MOUNTING HARDWARE AND TOOLS INCLUDED. READY TO USE RIGHT OUT THE BOX
- Rise with ease: Our rise with ease cushion is ideal for those who need elevation from low rise seating. This chair cushion foam is built to provide...
- Pain-free body lifting: Our chair seat cushion will give you jerk-free and pain-free body lifting every time!
- Quality at its core: This foam chair cushion has a dense polyurethane foam core and a Sherpa removable cover.
- ELECTRIC SEAT BOOST HELPS MAINTAIN ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: It’s difficult to have to rely on someone else to help with regular everyday activities like...
- SEAT CUSHION TO ASSIST IN MOBILITY: No matter what’s been keeping you down, a Seat Boost chair lift cushion can help you back up. Great for...
- EASY TO TAKE WHEREVER YOU GO: You don’t have to sacrifice daily living, your social life, or fun activities because you have trouble getting up....
What is a booster seat?
A booster seat, also car seat riser, booster seat, child seat without backrest or sometimes even called seat cushion, is an ergonomically shaped support for a car seat, especially for children. A booster seat is mandatory for the transport of children up to the height of 150 centimetres. Below, our product comparison on STERN.de informs you in detail about the corresponding legal situation. With only a few exceptions, this accessory is not permanently installed in the car and also not attached. You place the child seat without backrest on one of the free car seats. Your child sits on it and straps with the three-point belt or is strapped by you.
How is a child seat increase structured?
Depending on the model, the core of a booster seat is an anatomically shaped styrofoam or plastic seat. For more safety, the seat is not only ergonomically designed but has a slight tilt to the rear. In this way, the child does not slip forward during the ride and even during an unexpected braking. Some booster seats have armrests in a croissant shape, the simpler models do without this feature. On the hardcore is a foam pad for more seating comfort. The seat is provided with a reference jacketed. Most commonly, manufacturers use either blended or virgin polyester fabric for the covers. With all current booster seats, the cover can be removed in a few steps and is machine washable.
Booster seat vs. Child seat with backrest in comparison
A child seat is mandatory when transporting children by car. After the baby has outgrown an infant carrier, the child drives in a child seat or a so-called Reboarder in the car. Below we explain in our purchase guide on STERN.de, why a booster seat is recommended only from the age of four years. However, you also have the choice between a child seat with backrest and a simple booster seat. In our comparison, we point out the plus and minus points of a booster seat compared to the child seat.
- Compact and handy
- Easy change between the vehicles
- Multifunctional, can be used in the theatre, cinema or restaurant
- Cheap price
- Provides less security, especially in the head and back area
- For longer distances not very well suited
In sum, a booster seat offers a flexible and affordable solution for short trips. A child seat with backrest scores more safely and is the better solution for long journeys.
Which models are available for the Kindersitzerhöhungen?
Although all car seat upgrades have the same purpose and also meet the same safety standards, the differences between the designs are serious. In order to gain a better overview of the product range, we offer the following four classification options for this car accessory.
- Booster seats with styrofoam or plastic core
Already on their own weight makes the difference of the models noticeable: The car seats with a weight of less than one kilogram are in all likelihood made of Styrofoam. The heavier models have a hard plastic core. The child booster seats with a sturdy plastic core withstand high loads and therefore provide your child with more security.
- Child booster seats with and without armrests
The booster seats from the middle and upper market segment are usually equipped with two armrests in a croissant shape. The armrests are for a higher seating comfort and ensure a relaxed position. On the other hand, the armrests act as a belt guide, because the lap belt is always under the armrests lead. In this way, the three-point belt is comfortable and secure. Third, the armrests provide additional security in that they support the body laterally and protect it from impact. The booster seats without armrests are in most cases particularly favourable and score with more flexibility: the seat can still be used successfully on several other occasions, except for car rides.
- With or without Isofix mounting system
Some models of booster seats are equipped with the locking arms for the Isofix (ISO 13216). By the locking arms and the headband are interlocked with each other with a simple click, there is a secure and rigid fixation of the child seat on the vehicle. The Isofix thus fulfils maximum safety requirements in traffic. One disadvantage of Isofix booster seats is that the seat can only be loosened from the anchorage with some difficulty. We, therefore, recommend such models only if you want to permanently install the car seat enhancement in your vehicle.
- With or without belt fix
While the models with armrests already offer a practical belt guide in the pelvic area, the additional strap guide ensures the comfortable putting on of a seatbelt in the neck and shoulder region. The Gurtfix represents a flexibly adjustable belt with a buckle. The three-point belt is to be led through the buckle and the length of the Isofix adjusted so that the three-point belt does not cut in the neck area, but rests on the chest.
What regulations and rules apply to the carriage of children by road?
The transport of children in the vehicle is allowed in Germany only under certain conditions. According to § 21, para. 1a of the Road Traffic Act (StVO), a child up to the age of 12 whose body height is less than 150 centimetres may only be taken with the help of a special ” restraint device “. This applies to all vehicles equipped with seatbelts (the three-point belts). Under the restraint systems, the legislature understands the officially approved child seats with or also backrest, ie the booster seats. The same section of the StVO also points to exceptions to the above provisions. The child seat requirement is omitted among other things:
- In vehicles with a total mass of over 3.5 tons. Thus, for example, the carriage of children in public transport is not compulsory for children.
- In taxis. You are allowed to take your child in a taxi without a booster seat. The seat belt is of course also in the taxi.
- In the case of carriage in the back seat, when two of the three seats are already occupied by child seats and there is no room for a third booster seat or a third child seat. However, this exception applies to children only from the age of three years.
We advise you to place the child seat either in the middle of the rear seat or behind the front passenger seat whenever possible because according to statistics, the left side of a vehicle is most at risk during an accident.
For which age group is a car seat enhancement most suitable?
Legislators split all models of child seats and booster seats into five large groups, depending on the weight of the children for whom these restraints are intended:
- Group 0: From birth to a weight of 10 kilograms
- Group 0 plus: From birth up to 13 kilograms
- Group I: children weighing between 9 and 18 kilograms
- Group II: Children weighing between 15 and 25 kilograms
- Group III: Children weighing between 22 and 36 kilograms
A booster seat is only suitable for the transport of children of II. And III. Group. In their product specifications, the manufacturers point out in part to which of these two groups the concrete model is primarily aimed. Although these groups can also be described as age groups, for example, Groups II and III include children between the ages of 4 and 12 years.
However, the classification by body weight is more precise and therefore not randomly preferred by the legislature. All booster seats that you currently find on the market and which our large product comparison recommends on STERN.de are officially approved in accordance with the standard UN ECE Reg. 44/04. This seal is usually found on the bottom or back of the accessory. If the seal is missing, the booster seat does not meet the requirements of the StVO. Under no circumstances should you use this child seat upgrade to transport your child on the road.
Guide to the desired product – in five steps to the correct booster seat for your child
Our product introductions, as well as the overview of the classification options of the child seat upgrades, are intended as the first approach to your desired car accessories. This guide will guide you to the right model as quickly as possible in five steps.
- Are you looking for a booster seat for longer car rides or for short distances in the village? If you want to use the car seat enhancement on relatively long distances and very intensively, it is best to resort to a high-quality model with armrests and a hard plastic core. In this way, you ensure the safety of your children in traffic. Our tip: most booster seats come from the factory with a relatively thin padding in the trade. However, it is easy to achieve more seating comfort. Simply cut out a piece of foam in a suitable shape and place it between the core and the cover. So it can be at the same time safe and cuddly soft.
- Would you like to use the booster seat in just one vehicle or use it again and again for trips with different vehicles and for other purposes? In the former case, a permanently installed child seat riser with Isofix is an apt solution, since, on the one hand, this is very safe and on the other hand, is difficult to detach from its anchorage. A booster seat without Isofix is much more mobile, a simple seat cushion without backrest is extremely versatile. A styrofoam core makes the car seat riser particularly light and simplifies handling.
- What colour does your child like the most? The booster seats are available in a wide range of colours, monochrome and multi-coloured. Understandably, the black or grey colour proves to be the most practical variant. However, all newer models generally have removable, washable polyester or blend fabric covers. Thus, the joy of a colourful booster also holds long. We recommend: Leave the decision to your little one. Ultimately, the child is the sole user of this car accessory.
- Are you looking for the second child seat for occasional use? In this case, we recommend a low-cost booster seat, which, understandably, should be officially approved and meet all safety requirements. Some quite recommendable models are already starting from 15 euros up in the trade to get.
- How tall is your child? Although all common booster seats for groups II to III are generally approved, there are considerable differences in size between the models. Last but not least, it pays to pay attention to the seat width. This value varies between 35 and 45 centimetres. The seat height must also be taken into account so that the three-point belt does not cut in the neck area under any circumstances. If there is an accident, there is a high risk of injury if the belt is incorrectly installed. If you frequently have several children in a restraint in the back seat, it is possible that three extra-wide seats will not fit next to each other. To measure the length of the back seat of your vehicle to decide on the optimal width of a booster seat. Our tip: For smaller children in kindergarten age, we recommend a car seat upgrade with a Gurtfix, so an additional belt guide.