Whether fresh bread, aromatic cheese or noble ham: A practical slicer delivers wafer-thin or thick slices inconsistent quality. User comfort, performance and safety go hand in hand with the leading devices and manufacturers. So you get a reliable and needs-based kitchen appliance on hand, which makes your daily kitchen work significantly easier.
In our slicer comparison on STERN.de, we take a closer look at the advantages of these kitchen appliances and also talk about the most common difficulties. Practical extras and important features that influence your purchase can be found in our comprehensive guide. So you have the opportunity, guaranteed to buy the right slicer
Top 10 Slicers
- Slice Like a Pro at Home: The electric food slicer is ideal for slicing deli meats, roast beef, turkey breast, ham, sausage, cheese, bread, fruit and...
- Precise & Even Slice: Came fully assembled, the slicer is super easy to slice from paper-thin cut to approximately 15mm by using a unique Stepless big...
- Easy to Clean: The blade, pusher and food carriage are all detachable. Quick Release Button allows our users to remove the food carriage in seconds...
- Greatest functionality on the market - 5 interchangeable blades means this kitchen gadget meets all of your slicing, grating and chopping needs....
- Bonus handheld spiralizer - compact and easy to use, the Fullstar mandoline slicer comes with a bonus 3 in 1 adjustable spiralizer. Unlike large units...
- Keeping you and your family safe - we know our stainless steel blades are high quality and razor sharp. Our set therefore comes with a fingerguard and...
- ✔ 200W Powerful Meat Slicer: The update electric food slicer is driven by 200 watts of fast, high yield slicing power. This is a highly versatile...
- ✔ Two 7. 5’’ Stainless Steel Blade: We understand that the slicer blade is one of the core components, so we used the great, sharp workmanship...
- ✔ Easy to Clean: Seamless and removable features make sanitation a breeze. Our removable ring-guard cover prevents debris buildup on cutting...
- EFFORTLESS SLICE BAGELS: The Hoan Bagel Guillotine Slicer allows you to safely and effortlessly slice bagels in half
- KEEP HANDS OUT OF HARMS WAY: This bagel slicer keeps your hands away from any potential slicing harm. There is a slot where the bagel will rest and...
- BUILT IN SAFETY SHIELD: The cradle holds the bagel while the two clear acrylic safety shields keep fingers away from the patented piercing blade
- Slice cherry tomatoes or grapes with a quick swipe
- Ergonomic design is comfortable to hold and slicing blade is concealed while in use
- Easy to use; fill and slice
- Made of beechwood
- Measures 9-1/2-inch by 6-inch by 7/8-inch
- Replaceable stainless steel cutting wire
- Aluminum Alloy Base
- Cutting Thickness 0-0.6”
- ETL NSF Approved
- Full stainless steel sliding food carriage. 180 watt motor/120 volt. Never immerse the Motor of this appliance in water or other liquid
- Large, detachable 8.7" hardened stainless steel serrated blade handles a wide range of food sizes and shapes
- Adjustable thickness control knob for 9/16"
- 12” Premium Stainless Steel Blade
- Aluminum Alloy Base
- Cutting Thickness 0-0.6”
- [Professional Slicer] The powerful 200-watt meat slicer has enough features and speed to slice a variety of foods such as meat, deli, cheese, roast...
- [More Accessories] The blade is one of the core components of the slicer, so we are equipped with two workmanship superb sharp 304 stainless steel...
- [Easy to Clean] seamless and removable design make sanitation a breeze. The removable ring-guard cover prevents debris buildup on cutting surfaces....
What is a slicer?
In principle, we call the food slicer a household appliance that can cut almost all materials and food. For this purpose, we consciously bring cheese or bread to a rotating knife blade, in order to then cut it out of the switched-off appliance. The most common feature is the slicer as a bread slicer . Especially the modern devices score with a removable knife, which can be individually adjusted to the material to be cut.
The food slicer should vary in the slice thickness. After all, it makes a difference whether you cut bread, sausage or cheese. Particularly high-quality standards apply to the hardening and the material. Commercially available fully hardened and simply hardened stainless steel or solid steel knives. Titanium-coated and non-stick coated, these materials provide years of durability.
How does a slicer work?
Previously, the crank moved the knife through the food. Today, this is done by an electric motor. With a much higher performance, it is able to easily handle even difficult clippings. A belt takes over the power transmission to the gearbox and a much sharper knife. Many of the modern devices offer different modes – to adapt to continuous or short-time operation. All machines comply with the valid EU standards for household electrical appliances. You should pay attention to any certificates and quality seals in any case.
Never underestimate dangers and risks!
Only if you buy tested and certified devices of well-known brand manufacturers, this ensures the necessary safety in handling. After all, most accidents happen in the household and in the daily work. Again and again, kitchen appliances such as slicer appear in the statistics. The technicians and developers want to minimize these dangers and rely on specific protection mechanisms.
ATTENTION: Even a food slicer with child safety should never be kept in the grip area for toddlers or children!
Advantages and disadvantages of the slicer in comparison:
- very delicate slices in the same quality
- extra sharp, clean knife
- produce large quantities without effort
- powerful engine
- smooth-running slide
- suitable for sausage, meat, cheese, bread, fruit and vegetables
- Professional equipment is expensive
- relatively high cleaning effort
- fixed devices take up space in the kitchen
Construction of the food slicer: what should I pay attention to?
If we look at a food slicer up close, similarities in the structure are apparent. The heart and at the same time the centre for all cutting work is the rotating knife in the middle. It should sit firmly in the holder and have the permissible protective mechanisms. A tripod or a sturdy foot provides a firm grip even with intensive cuts. On the side, you can use a special holder to safely move the food and foodstuffs back and forth and cut fine slices. About overload protection, the manufacturer has taken precautions.
If too hard food hits the blade, the engine shuts off automatically. Many bread slicers recommend thermal protection. If the engine overheats, the engine goes into OFF mode and will not be ready for use until the engine has cooled down completely. Some devices come with a switch-on protection. That always makes sense, even if children live in the household. We are dealing with a protective function that makes it impossible to move the knife when the switch is pressed. With this slicer, you must first release the switch to turn on the engine.
What do we cut with a slicer?
The choice of food and materials that you process with a food slicer is related to the equipment and the material. Basically, a reliable device should not have any problems with the following foods:
- Vegetables and fruit,
- Bread, baguette, ciabatta & rolls,
- Cheese and sausage,
The professional machines use an exclusive damask knife, which makes it easy to cut razor-thin slices. For the normal requirements, the kitchen aids should be sufficient, which reliably support us with everyday tasks. The original bread slicers were not electric, but cranked by hand and operated in mechanical drive. Convenient to purchase these slicers in any case, if you let the power of their users dwindle in the long run. So the slicers in the lower price segment can score as well.
How much is a slicer?
In principle, there are household appliances in every price range. With the range of functions, the material, the performance and the user-friendliness the prices increase as well. If you invest in a high-quality food slicer, you will often be rewarded with a needs-based appliance that will serve you faithfully for many years without harbouring any danger.
So the lifespan is one of the most important quality criteria when it comes to the purchase of kitchen appliances. Who would like to buy an expensive machine that will give up on the next big challenge? Be absolutely realistic. You will not get an all-rounder in the kitchen for under 50 €. The food slicers already have kitchen appliances in the lower price segment, which offer top performance.
Which slicer is the best?
A rather secondary role in the purchase plays the weight of the food slicer. After all, in most cases, it stays in a fixed position in the kitchen. Rather destructive and detrimental affects low weight. It is worthwhile to take a look at the underside of the machines. If, for example, special brackets, screws or suction cups are included here, the household appliance can be securely fixed and thus gets more stability. Make sure you take your time.
A decisive quality criterion for a food slicer is the housing made of metal or plastic. The food processor should be stable and easy to clean. Basically, your personal taste and the requirements of the kitchen appliance decide. If you have a smaller kitchen and use the slicer only occasionally, a cheap model should suffice. Use a bread slicer daily and cut more than just bread and baguette should you reach deeper into your purse. This pays off in everyday life when the machine meets your requirements straight away.
Practical accessories for the food slicer
Before ordering, take a look at the delivery. To ensure full safety, a thumb guard and a rest holder should be included there. These accessories protect your fingers from serious injury. In principle, all you have to do is place the piece of cheese or piece of bread in the leftover tray and move it towards the rotating knife.
Safety through thumb protection
Often the thumb protector is directly on the device. You recognize it as a convenient storage area. The fingers should never be near the cutting surface. In addition to the thumb protection, a non-slip pad and rubber feet are recommended. With the well-known brand manufacturers, the consumers have the advantage, because here there is
- the wear parts,
- the repair parts and
- the right accessories for years in stock.
In addition, major companies such as Bosch have a functioning, fast repair service that will help after the warranty period has expired.
Smooth or serrated: The knife at the slicer
The heart of every bread cutter is its knife. Most machines can be individually adjusted in the cutting width of 0-25 mm. This is the only way you can effectively respond to the food. Just use a smooth cutting surface for cheese, sausage and meat. Bread or baguette is best cut with a serrated knife that works effortlessly through the dough.
Power of the slicer: How many watts make sense?
In addition to the actual performance of energy consumption plays a role in the purchase of a food slicer. This consumption ranges between 45 W and 170 W. Set the food slicer so that the respective energy consumption matches the food you want to cut. The whole thing also applies to the speed of knife rotation, which can vary depending on the energy level. Regularly the slicers with a clean and even result get the best ratings from the customers.
Most of the slicers are electrically operated. This ensures particularly precise cuts, which do not require any effort. Some traditional cutters are manually operated and indirect comparison also many times cheaper. But do not underestimate the effort required to manually guide a knife or a tailor through a firm ham or crust of bread. Often the result speaks for the electric cutting devices, which simplify everyday life in the kitchen decisively.
Which slicer for ham?
The slicers for the wafer-thin ham slices should definitely bring a smooth knife. Where also the serrated edge should achieve decent results. The goal is to cut as thin as possible slices with the smooth finish. The blade should not destroy the meat structure or texture. Anyone who invests in a costly and high-quality knife comes closest to the real deal.
Specialists: slicer for carpaccio
The classic Italian appetizer consists of high-quality, raw beef that lands on the plate gossamer. The meat is cut out directly from the beef loin. We definitely need a smooth cut knife. A prerequisite for an original Italian dish is a wafer-thin quality of meat. With a serrated knife, the danger would be far too great that the precious beef will fry and lose its beautiful texture. At this point, it should be noted that it is not always the brand and the food slicer that decide on the right kitchen utensil for carpaccio, but rather the knife.
Cleaning and care of the slicer
In principle, you should thoroughly clean the food slicer after each use. Especially if you cut sausage, cheese, ham or meat as well as juicy vegetables and fruits, residues will remain on the knife.