Most brand name manufacturers nowadays equip their televisions with a Smart TV function, which offers numerous advantages, as you can, for example, select different programs and apps in a much clearer menu. But which smart TVs are among the best and what should you pay close attention to if you are interested in such a modern TV? You can read our purchase guide to match this. Enclosed we have also put together a total of 10 of the best smart TVs in an overview, allowing you to choose your personal favourite.
Top 10 Smart TVs
- Fire TV experience built-in - Fire TV Edition brings together live-over-the air TV and your favorite streaming content on the home screen. Connect any...
- Voice Remote with Alexa - Everything you'd expect from a remote - plus launch apps, search for TV shows, switch inputs, control smart home devices and...
- Keeps getting smarter - This TV is smart and simple in every way. Just plug it in, connect to Wi-Fi and enjoy. Plus, your TV keeps getting smarter...
- Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 49 X 28. 4 X 3. 1 inches, TV with stand: 49 X 30. 6 X 8 inches
- Smart functionality delivers all your favorite content with over 500, 000 movies and TV episodes, accessible through the simple and intuitive Roku TV
- Pairs 4K Ultra HD picture clarity with the contrast, color, and detail of high dynamic range (HDR) for the most lifelike picture
- Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 28.8 x 17.1 x 3.1 Inches, TV with stand:28.8 x 19 x 6.8 Inches
- Smart functionality delivers all your favorite content with over 500,000 movies and TV episodes, accessible through the simple and intuitive Roku TV
- 720p HD resolution for a crisp picture
- 4K UHD PROCESSOR: Powerful 4K UHD processor optimizes your TV's performance by upscaling every show, season, and scene with 4K picture quality
- ENHANCED DETAIL WITH HDR: 4K depth of detail with high dynamic range lets you see shades of color that reveal more detail than HDTV can deliver
- PURCOLOR REVEALS SPECTRUMS OF COLOR: Millions of shades of color reveal a vibrant, lifelike picture that conventional HDTV can't create
- PURCOLOR: Enjoy millions of shades of color, fine-tuned to create an incredibly vibrant picture.
- HDR: Enjoy stunning high dynamic range content including the latest HDR10+ content that adjust picture quality scene by scene.
- MOTION RATE 120: Experience smooth action on fast-moving content.
- QUAD CORE PROCESSOR: improves images, action and color, reducing distracing video noise and motion blur, enhancing sharpness and portraying accurate...
- LG THINQ, ALEXA AND GOOGLE ASSISTANT: LG TVs are the first to integrate both the Google Assistant and Alexa with LG ThinQ AI technology
- 4K ACTIVE HDR: 4K resolution TV detail and more lifelike picture with scene by scene picture adjustment; Supports HDR formats, HDR10 and HLG
- 100% COLOR VOLUME WITH QUANTUM DOT*: Quantum dots produce over a billion shades of color that stay true-to-life even in bright scenes.
- DUAL LED: A system of dedicated warm and cool LED backlights enhance contrast details.
- QUANTUM HDR: Expands the range of color and detail beyond what's possible on HDTVs.
- Smart Functionality delivers all your favorite content with over 500, 000 movies and TV episodes, accessible through the simple and intuitive Roku TV
- Pairs 4K Ultra HD picture clarity with the contrast, color, and detail of high dynamic range (HDR) for the most lifelike picture
- Direct-lit LED produces great picture quality
- 4K UHD Processor: a powerful processor optimizes your tv' s performance with 4K picture quality
- HD: see shades of color that reveal more detail than HDTV can deliver
- 100% Color Volume with Quantum Dot*: Over a billion shades of brilliant color-powered by Quantum Dots-deliver our most realistic picture
- Google Assistant Whether you require step-by-step instructions during the set-up process, or an authority to chime in occasionally to figure out a...
- Smart TV Forget connecting streaming devices. The Sceptre Smart AndroidTV has all the thrilling functionality you crave to connect to all the...
- Built-in Chromecast Built-in Chromecast swiftly and wirelessly transports all streaming content from your mobile device or tablet to the AndroidTV....
What do other technology magazines say about the best smart TVs?
More reviews on the smart TVs are unfortunately in short supply. In the first place, televisions from different categories are compared and no explicit Smart TV test is available. If this changes in the future, we will update this article here with a current comparison of the best smart TVs from other sources or magazines.
Smart TVs purchase advice
If you still remember the classic tube TVs or the first generations of modern LED televisions, you may also know that they were anything but “smart” in terms of menu navigation and some other features. The latest TV generation, on the other hand, boasts intelligent features and simple menu navigation, which also provide an active connection to the Internet. Thus, it does not pose a problem at all that with a well-equipped Smart TV you can, for example, display additional information about the current TV program, which also applies to news. If you, too, are interested in these smart TVs, you will find attached a comprehensive guide that will inform you about the most important equipment features, functions and notes on device selection.
What advantages does a Smart TV offer in practice?
Thanks to the internet connection that builds up a Smart TV via the router or via WLAN, you can take advantage of numerous advantages. This will save you, among other things, a conventional program guide, because all the information is available to you in digital form and can also be retrieved interactively. The same applies to the apps of popular services, such as YouTube, Netflix or even Amazon Video. All of these programs can be played back with a modern Smart TV and thus access additional content, such as films, series or documentation of all kinds.
Depending on the model and manufacturer, you also have the option of having the main menu entirely according to your needs personal preferences. It is also worth mentioning that with many Smart TVs you are also able to tap into the TV program in the entire house via smartphone or even with a tablet and thus benefit from a kind of second screen. If you have the respective app of the smart TV also installed on the smartphone, so you can use this as an alternative remote control, which is really convenient. So, as you can see, a smart TV has many advantages, especially for home cinema fans and serial junkies, and are important features compared to classic devices.
The key features that should make a smart TV stand out
- Display size
The screen size represents the size of the display, which was installed in the Smart TV. Modern devices are often up to 65 inches tall and measure in the diagonal therefore a total of 163 cm. But there are still smaller models to buy that also support the advanced features of a smart TV. Depending on how much space you have in your living room and what kind of TV experience you can imagine, certain screen diagonals are better or worse for you. So pay attention to the available space and your individual preferences regarding the display size of the smart TV.
- Resolution of the display
In addition to the screen size, of course, the resolution of smart TV still plays a central role. The larger it turns out, the more detailed the picture is, which will be a clear difference compared to Full HD for UHD or 4K content in particular. Please evaluate your personal usage behaviour and check whether you frequently use Blu-rays with high-resolution content or streaming services that make films or series in 4K available to you. Of course, you should always ensure that you have a sufficiently fast Internet connection. For 4K content, a classic 16K DSL connection is not enough. The larger and brighter the display is set, the higher the power consumption. Remember to set the display correctly to reduce it a bit. Fittingly, most manufacturers also incorporate some advanced features in their devices in terms of energy consumption.
- Display technology
Most Smart TVs today have an LED screen. In contrast, more expensive models are equipped with an OLED display, which usually offers the advantages of better viewing angles and reduced energy consumption. Especially if you attach great importance to the most detailed representation of black content, you should rely on the new OLED technology. Especially classic LED TV are not able to that the black representation is optimally implemented. If you expect optimal results in the field of viewing angles, then you should definitely take a closer look at Smart TVs, which are equipped with a Curved display. The screen is bent and offers exactly these advantages.
- 3D display
If a 3D function is mandatory for you, Smart TV should have such a technology. With the help of 3D glasses, you will be able to see all the content in a spatial 3D. But you should definitely remember that you need appropriate material for this, which is usually only available via Blu-Ray. For this, of course, a good Blu-Ray player is necessary, the 3D volume can play.
- Refresh rate
This value is given in Hertz and describes the number of frames per second that a TV can display. Basically, you will benefit from a smoother image history at a high refresh rate. Especially for action-packed scenes or content that has fast image sequences, a correspondingly high refresh rate is especially important for you as the user.
Modern television sets are usually characterized by a variety of connection options. In addition to HDMI, you can also plug USB devices, LAN cables and CI + cards into the TV and thus connect your technical devices to the TV. Some TVs are also able to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. If this is enough for you and you have a solid Wi-Fi connection in your own home, you can use it as well. Alternatively, using a network cable is better for you because the active connection is much more stable.
- Operating system
The leading manufacturers of smart TVs each rely on different operating systems or their own developments and surfaces, some of which differ greatly from each other. So in order to determine which operating system and which menu guide is best for you, it is advisable that you go once in an electronics store and access the remote control here. As an alternative to this, you will find on the video platform YouTube numerous short films on how the menu was implemented by the manufacturers Sony, LG, Samsung and Co. Depending on the model, the functional diversity of different operating systems can be significantly greater. In addition, there is a language support in modern devices, so you can easily transmit all the commands by voice to the TV.
Smart TV is best for you?
Depending on the available space, preferences regarding the display size, screen resolution and available budget, different smart TVs are available for you. To assist you in choosing the right models, we have attached a detailed guide to you that addresses different target groups.
TV users who rarely use their smart TV
If you already know that you only occasionally watch TV programs, then it is quite unnecessary that you choose the most expensive TV. Therefore, be sure to evaluate your personal usage behaviour and commit yourself to a specific budget in order to find a suitable Smart TV in your price range.
Regular smart TV connoisseurs
Already from the daily use, it is recommended that you commit to a significantly higher quality Smart TV, which has an adequate screen size and resolution. The same applies to a pleasant menu navigation and the usual features that you expect from a good Smart TV. In this context, above all the talk of an electronic program guide, this menu is also marketed as EPG by the respective manufacturers.
Smart TVs for film and series fans
As a true blockbuster fan and user who likes to watch the most diverse series, you should commit yourself to a Smart TV that dissolves all content in at least 4K or UHD. According to the current technology standard, this is about the highest possible resolution of the displays, which is affordable for normal consumers. In any case, be aware that you need to stream content and therefore rely on a very fast internet connection. If this does not exist, it does not make much sense for you to commit yourself to such an expensive smart TV. Of course, this does not apply to you if you have a large collection of Blu-rays.
TV sets for home theatre fans
For the target group of ambitious home cinema owners to offer Smart TVs from the size of 65 inches. Thus, all conditions are available for you to ensure a real cinema feeling. However, for such a smart TV you must spend at least € 2,000, and you can expect here in the rule with real high-tech features that really can be seen.
Recommended accessories for your Smart TV
A good TV is the central focus in your living room or home cinema system. However, to get the most out of it, you need a variety of accessories from the multimedia segment that can be connected to the Smart TV.
- Audio system
A good sound system dramatically improves the overall audio performance of the TV and does not really compare it. So, opt for a 5.1 or 7.1 sound system, or alternatively, opt for a modern soundbar from a reputed manufacturer. Thus, you ensure a room-filling sound, which ensures that a real cinema feeling arises in your living room. For example, soundbars are much better for you if the available space in your living room is very limited. Depending on the acoustics and texture, you will nevertheless ensure room-filling sound effects.
- Blu-Ray player
Today DVDs are already a bit out because Blu-Rays offer the advantage that much higher-resolution content can be stored on these high-capacity data carriers. However, to play such a Blu-ray, you need a Blu-Ray player. You can easily connect this with your Smart TV and get an almost infinite entertainment offer home, which is really convenient.
- Game console
If you are a gamer and like to play the latest games, you can put them on a gaming console and connect them to the TV. The current models from Sony (Playstation), Microsoft ( Xbox One ) and the Nintendo Swift, for example, are recommended for these target groups who want to enjoy their games conveniently on the TV.
If you are a subscriber to pay-TV broadcaster Sky, then this provider will send you a module home that requires a CI + slot on your Smart TV. Thus, the signal that the TV receives, namely decrypted for you and you can, for example, always follow the current games from the most popular among fans live conference of the Bundesliga football at home.
- Media Recording
With most smart TVs, it’s no problem at all that all content can be conveniently recorded on different storage media. To do this, you should connect a suitable USB memory stick to the Smart TV to ensure this. If such a feature is particularly relevant to you, you should be aware of the availability of this function of the media recording in advance of the purchase of such a television.