A steam cleaner or steam broom cleans with the power of water vapour alone, without the addition of chemical cleaning agents. With such a household appliance, different surfaces can be thoroughly cleaned, with up to 99.9% bacteria and germs and mites can be eliminated. But which steam cleaners are the best? The great product comparison on STERN.de helps you to make the right purchase decision.
Top 10 Steam Cleaners
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Backed by a 2-year hassle-free warranty and supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING - Naturally deep clean and sanitize without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime,...
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK - The 48-ounce water tank heats up in under 8 minutes and provides up to 45 minutes of steam with optional lockable steam trigger...
- 340ml / 11.5 ounce reservoir. CLEANS LITERALLY EVERYTHING! Nobody likes cleaning! But with the help of the ThermaPro 10-in-1 Steam Mop you can clean...
- CHILD & PET SAFE - PROVIDES 99.99% SANITATION WITH NO HARSH CHEMICALS! Super-heated steam is ready in 30 seconds and kills up to 99.99% of germs...
- LIGHT AND MANEUVERABLE. 3 Adjustable modes help you cater the mop's steam level to your specific needs. That's especially important when you're trying...
- On-demand variable steam control with 4 bar (58 psi) pressure to blast away dirt and grime
- Naturally deep cleans and sanitizes without the use of harsh chemicals ; PowerCord Plug Type :3-Pin Grounded
- Large 64 oz. water tank heats up in 12 minutes and provides up to 120 minutes of continuous steam
- WHY IS THIS THE BEST STEAM MOP ON THE MARKET? - You can clean and sanitize with minimum time and effort, way more effective than your traditional mop....
- UNIQUE TRIANGULAR SHAPE - From now on you can clean even the most hard-to-reach areas in your home. Light and easy to maneuver, this new triangular...
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL HOUSEHOLD TOOL - Safe to use on any surface you want to clean and sanitize: hardwood floors, vinyl, tiles, marble, ceramic & porcelain...
- On-demand variable steam control with 4 bar (58 psi) pressure to blast away dirt and grime. To reduce the risk of electrical shock, this appliance has...
- Naturally deep cleans and sanitizes without the use of harsh chemicals. Steam Rate - High - 31 g/min. Low - 15 g/min
- Large 48 oz. water tank heats up in under 12 minutes and provides up to 90 minutes of continuous steam. Steam Pressure - 58 PSI (max). Water Feed...
- Powerful high pressure steam cleaner with easy to press trigger
- Completely chemical free with no harmful fumes or residue
- 1000 watt power rating, power cord length is 20 feet. Power Source: Corded. Power Cord Length: 20 feet
- High-pressure Steam cleaner with easy-to-press trigger delivers powerful steam on demand
- 100% chemical free with no harmful fumes or residue
- Includes accessory nozzle, flat scraping tool, grout brush, angle concentrator, 3 color coded round brushes, measuring cup
- SPINSCRUB BRUSH SYSTEM: Safely deep clean carpets of the toughest dirt with powerful 360 degree brushes
- DUAL V NOZZLE: Evenly cleans surfaces with equal suction
- HEAT FORCE: Speed up dry time while lifting stubborn stains
- CLEAN. DISINFECT. SANITIZE. DEGREASE. DEODORIZE. ANY SURFACE. CHEMICAL-FREE.
- POWERFUL SUPERHEATED STEAM: up to 275°F/135°C.
- LARGE CAPACITY: Up to 50 minutes of cleaning time per fill up.
- 2X MORE CLEANING POWER than the leading lightweight carpet cleaner
- POWERSPIN PET BRUSH ROLL: Delivers powerful carpet cleaning with protection
- HEATFORCE POWER: Delivering an even faster drying for any space
What is a steam cleaner and how does this appliance work?
Each steam broom or steam cleaner is an electrical appliance that must be connected to the mains. A power connection of approx. 220 V (standard) is sufficient. As the name implies, the steam cleaner uses the hot water vapour for surface cleaning. The heart of a cleaning device is an electrically operated heating element that heats the water in a tank. When the device is switched on, the steam shoots through the differently shaped nozzles onto the surface to be treated and softens the dirt. This is absorbed by the absorbent cleaning cloths. After cleaning, the cleaning cloths are usually replaced and either disposed of or machine washed.
Models and designs of steam cleaners
In this guide on STERN.de, we inform you exclusively about the steam cleaners. These devices can be distinguished from steam cleaners, which are also equipped with a suction function: The softened impurities are sucked in the same process. Among the steam cleaners two basic models are to be distinguished:
- Stand steam cleaner, or steam cleaner on wheels, such as the cleaner from Kärcher in the product selection on STERN.de. These models, whose design is similar to a vacuum cleaner, are characterized by a particular versatility and are designed almost without exception for multi-functional use.
- These home appliances are visually reminiscent of a broom, with the water tank mounted directly on the handle. Primarily, the steam brooms are designed for floor cleaning, but not a few models can be converted into practical hand-held steam cleaners.
What are the features and functions of a steam cleaner or steam brush?
In addition to the difference in construction between a steam broom and stand-steam cleaner, the models have several other differences in features and function.
Carpet Glides – always included
In the meantime, every steam broom and stand steam cleaner is equipped with a carpet glider, so that not only hard, smooth floors such as tiles, laminate and parquet, but also carpets and carpets can be steam-cleaned. The carpet glider reliably cleans the rugs with different pile heights without damaging them. Dust and dirt are reliably removed, the carpet is refreshed, but remains largely dry.
Nozzle set for more flexibility – also included in most models
Such models, which are designed exclusively for floor cleaning, only have a mostly triangular foot (floor element), the scope of delivery of most current models is much wider. These include, first and foremost, hand jets for cleaning window glass, upholstered furniture, joints and smoothing clothes. The conversion of a steam broom or another steam cleaner to a multifunctional hand steam cleaner should be done manually. The simplest way of doing this is to change the experience of the Kärcher steam cleaners;
Water tank – permanently installed or removable
In addition to the differences in the capacity of the tank plays in particular for the handling of the devices said design feature an important role. A removable tank proves to be practical in that it is easy to refill from the faucet. Any risk of scalding is thus excluded. If a model is additionally equipped with a second, compact tank, cleaning does not even have to be interrupted for heating up.
Adjustable steam level – a handy feature
The steam level can be adjusted flexibly in quite a few models. This feature is especially useful for devices that are used in addition to the floor cleaning for other, sensitive surfaces. However, this feature is also useful when cleaning and maintaining different floors, as it is recommended, among other things, to clean laminate and parquet floors with only 50% maximum possible steam strength. If the model does not have a regulator for setting the steam intensity, only slightly sensitive wooden floors or, for example, tiles may be cleaned with this appliance.
Integrated decalcifier – useful, but dispensable
In the selection on STERN.de, some steam cleaners are equipped with a decalcifying cartridge intended for automatic descaling during operation. Otherwise, these devices should be descaled manually at regular intervals. Descaling a steam cleaner is easy and even without chemistry possible. Below, we discuss this aspect. Thus, a decalcifying cartridge is indeed a practical, but dispensable feature.
Cleaning with a mixture of water and steam – only with a few steam cleaners with it
Thanks to this function, particularly stubborn impurities can be removed without pre-cleaning. This feature only distinguishes the upper-class equipment and is designed to combat particularly stubborn soiling. The said function is useful, but not necessarily necessary. With a little scrub in advance, the protection can be mobilized and then removed with a jet of steam.
Different performance and pressure – important parameters
The models available on the market differ not least in the pressure with which the steam is conveyed out of the nozzle. While the steam brooms usually develop pressures between 1 and 1.5 bar, the standing steam cleaners are usually stronger with 3 – 4 bar. The pressure is determined primarily by the performance of each device.
The power level is always given in watts: for a steam cleaner, the values of 1,200 – 1,500 W are in the lower middle range. Powerful devices from Kärcher are proven to have 2,000 W and more and are therefore able to fight the dirt with full force. Of these two values - the vapour pressure and the power level – it depends on whether the steam cleaner also copes with heavily contaminated surfaces.
Heat-up time – important for easy handling and speedy work
To get started quickly with the cleaning, the user understandably wants the shortest possible waiting time. Each steam cleaner needs some time to bring the water to the temperature of 100 ° C so that the steam forms. The steam brooms can be heated on average within 20 – 30 seconds, the models with wheels usually need a little longer.
Weight – especially important for steam brooms
On average, the steam brooms weigh less than 3 kg and are thus handy. It is also logical because when cleaning almost the entire weight must be held by hand. The steam cleaners with wheels bring more kilograms due to the design, but this does not affect the handling negatively since the devices do not have to be lifted during operation. Other differences relate to the look of the device, with the trademark of Kärcher is the combination of yellow and black and the steam brushes from other manufacturers are often emphasized tastefully designed.
What advantages and disadvantages does a steam cleaner have?
The steam cleaners and steam brooms convince with the following advantages:
- Cleaning with hot steam is hygienic because the steam kills most germs and pathogens. According to the manufacturers, up to 99.9% of bacteria are killed while cleaning;
- With steam, it can be thoroughly cleaned without chemical cleaning agents – it protects the wallet and the environment;
- For allergy sufferers steam cleaning is especially recommended for these reasons;
- Steam cleaning is less power consuming than wiping with the classic mop. The same and even better cleaning result is achieved within a very short time;
- Even in hard to reach areas in the home, the dirt can be safely removed with the help of a suitable nozzle.
- Like any electrical appliance, a steam broom or purifier consumes electricity and therefore costs money. Since the purchase of cleaning agents is eliminated and the water consumption is lower compared to the classic mop method, a steam cleaner turns out to be economical as a bottom line;
- In order to kill all germs, it should be done slowly. With fast brushing, the manufacturer’s promise to eliminate 99.9% of all bacteria can not be met.
- When using a steam cleaner, certain safety measures must be observed to avoid the danger of scalding;
- Not all surfaces can be cleaned with steam – we’ll go into that in more detail below;
- Not all cleaners convince with their performance. The product comparison on STERN.de, therefore, provides the steam cleaners and brooms that really clean thoroughly.
All in all, the benefits clearly outweigh the benefits, above all because a steam cleaner promises effortless, hygienic cleaning with a convincing result.
For whom is a steam cleaner suitable?
Basically, this electrical appliance is a good choice for every household, because it facilitates the housework. Especially where high demands are placed on hygiene, as well as in allergy households, the steam cleaner proves to be a welcome solution.
Which surfaces can be cleaned with a steam cleaner?
As good as any steam cleaner is a multifunctional device that is useful in the household in different ways.
Hard floors like parquet, laminate and tiles – to clean well with all steam cleaners and steam brooms
For smooth floors and for tile floors with joints, a steam cleaner, especially a steam brush, is the first choice. In the case of laminate and valuable parquet floors, a comparatively weak steam jet is recommended at 50% of the maximum thickness, whereby here the steam brooms offer a gentle solution due to the overall comparatively lower pressure.
Carpets and carpets are to get clean with all steam cleaners
Included with each steam broom from the product range on STERN.de are the so-called carpet glides. The Kärcher steam cleaners are also equipped with a carpet glider, which can easily be integrated into the patented EasyFix system.
Clean mirrors and windows with a steam cleaner – with a handy hand nozzle
Most models of steam cleaners and steam brooms are equipped with a spot jet nozzle. Among other things, this accessory can be used to clean windows and mirrors. To clean glass surfaces with steam, the coarse dirt should first be removed with a cloth to thoroughly treat the surface with steam. Afterwards, the water residues are removed with a puller. The glass is thus effortlessly clean without unsightly streaks.
Shower, bath and especially fittings – ideal for cleaning with steam
In the bathroom and toilet not only the tile floors can be successfully cleaned with steam. In particular, the fittings get a nice gloss finish thanks to a steam treatment. Shower cubicles, bathtubs and washbasins can be successfully cleaned with steam to remove soap scraps and limescale. Here again, the point jet nozzle is used, possibly must be supplemented with a wipe additionally. Overall, the cleaning in the bathroom and toilet with steam is progressing very fast.
Upholstered furniture – only clean with a special upholstery nozzle!
Textile fabrics can be steamed up and cleaned from dust. Even stubborn stains are easy to remove from the upholstered furniture using the steam cleaner.
Clean joints and hard-to-reach areas with steam cleaners
In this case, a specially designed for this purpose narrow nozzle is used. But even with a point jet nozzle in combination with the round brush, the joints can be cleaned. Not only the tile joints can be cleaned with a steam jet, but also radiators or other barely accessible corners.
Refresh clothes and iron wrinkles
On the one hand, garments that had to wait for months in a clothing closet for their use can be refreshed with a hand nozzle for textiles. In this way, the clothes do not necessarily have to be in the wash. On the other hand, unpleasant wrinkles can easily be smoothed with steam to save tedious ironing.
Car rims – to clean with a point jet nozzle
The rather unpleasant and energy-consuming work of rims cleaning can take over a steam cleaner. With a point jet nozzle, the dirt, including oil residue, can be removed without contact.
Car seats and the entire interior of the vehicle with a cushion nozzle get clean easily
The car upholstery can be cleaned with steam without chemical means, even preventing the unpleasant odour in the car. It is recommended, however, to suck the car in advance.
5 tips for cleaning with a steam cleaner
Cleaning with a steam broom or cleaner is generally uncomplicated. However, there are some aspects to consider:
- Before steam cleaning, it is recommended to treat the surfaces with a vacuum cleaner or dust wipe;
- Unsealed, including oiled, floors may not be cleaned with steam, Sensitive floors should always be careful;
- The water tank should under no circumstances be opened with a running steam broom or cleaner.
- The cleaning cloths should be replaced more frequently in order to achieve an optimal cleaning result;
- If you want to avoid descaling, you are welcome to use distilled water to fill the tank. It is not a must.
Descaler steam cleaner? That’s how it’s done!
If the steam broom or cleaner is not equipped with an integrated decalcifying cartridge, it must be descaled manually at regular intervals. Experience shows that in intensive use, the device is to descale every four weeks. There are two ways to descale:
- Descale with vinegar. For this purpose, add about 200 ml of vinegar to the water tank for about 24 hours to allow this liquid to take effect. Then the tank contents should be disposed of completely, the water tank should be rinsed and the steam cleaner put into operation with full charge.
- Use decalcifying agents from the trade. In this case, exactly follow the instructions for use of the respective agent.
Is a steam cleaner suitable for use outside?
Basically, these devices are predominantly designed for use with i7lindoor and only insufficiently protected from the effects of the weather. A steam cleaner can therefore only conditionally outside use, for example, to clean the vehicle or to clean the immediate entrance area of the family house. For the cleaning of garden paths and house walls, high-pressure cleaners are designed, which wash away the dirt with a powerful jet of water.
Buying guide – in five steps to the right steam cleaner or steam broom
At the market, you will discover a wide range of high-quality steam brooms and steam cleaners. With our guide on STERN.de, you will find a steam cleaner that best suits your needs.
- Only buy steam cleaners from reliable suppliers and pay attention to the test sigla. From a non-certified and tested electrical appliance is a high risk. For this reason, only buy devices that have been certified by a competent test centre and have a CE mark. At STERN.de, we invariably present steam cleaners that meet the high-quality requirements.
- Consider the future field of application in advance. Where is the steam cleaner used in the household? The decision for one or the other model also depends on this preliminary consideration. If primarily the floors and carpets are to be cleaned with steam, a steam broom is recommended. The triangular foot is ideally suited for cleaning even in narrow niches and between the pieces of furniture. The steam brooms are ergonomically designed, so you do not have to bend down when cleaning. If different surfaces are to be steam cleaned on a regular basis, a “Kärcher” type wheel cleaner on wheels is a suitable solution. The conversion of these devices is very simple and requires no prior knowledge.
- Do you need an adjustable steam level? The steam brooms clean with a relatively low pressure so that in such a device, a steam intensity controller is not absolutely necessary. When it comes to powerful cleaners that are used, among other things, to clean the floor, then it makes sense to be able to throttle the steam sometimes. Thus, the rule applies: The more potent the steam cleaner, the more important is the ability to flexibly adjust the steam pressure.
- Can the water tank be removed? Although basically dispensable, this feature facilitates the operation considerably. If the device has a double water tank, the heating time can also be saved.
- Pay attention to the cable length! There are two things to consider here. The longer the cable, the larger the room can be steam cleaned without a tedious change of socket and without extensions. However, a long cable is often in the way and involves a considerable risk of tripping. Cable lengths between 6 and 8 m are recommended.