A subwoofer provides the sound experience of a special kind. During the rock concert, the bass massages the skin and it throbs in the pit of the stomach, the sound of action films makes the walls shake. This experience is the responsibility of the subwoofer, which will enhance your home theatre. The extraordinary sound experience can greatly enhance the action film or a concert on CD and make it a true listening pleasure.
In general, normal speakers can not reproduce frequencies below 100 hertz with sufficient sound pressure. This means that you need a special speaker for this. The subwoofer is such a supplement to a traditional speaker system that ensures the required sound pressure for the bass and thus can significantly improve the sound. In our subwoofer comparison on STERN.de we introduce 12 of the best devices, describe technical data and in the guide, you will receive important information for the purchase of a subwoofer.
Top 10 Subwoofers
- 5/8" MDF Construction
- Frequency response: 10Hz - 150Hz. Aviation Grade Carpet
- Embroidered Terminator Logo; Impedance: 2Ω
- 10" front-firing spun-copper IMG woofer
- All-digital amplifier with 300 watts peak power
- Volume low pass crossover and phase control
- Powerful 12" copper-spun front-firing woofer
- All-digital amplifier delivers 400 watts of dynamic power
- Equally impressive with music and movies; Brushed black polymer veneer cabinet with satin painted plinth
- Powerful,Pure Home Theater Subwoofer Max to 100W: Perfect for home theater systems that need a little extra oomph. Matches well with any system. And...
- 8-INCH Subwoofer Enclosure: Kicker Dual 8-Inch 100 watt vented subwoofer enclosure is factory-tuned and vented for deep, thunderous bass.
- Easy to Integrate with Existing System: Hook up this subwoofer to the receiver and upgrade your music sound instantly! Features continuously variable...
- All-in-one complete SDR series loaded Subwoofer complete bass package
- Peak Power: 1, 200 watts | RMS Power: 600 watts
- Includes x1 Skar Audio sdr-1x10d2 single 10" Loaded 1, 200 watt vented subwoofer enclosure
- All-in-One Complete SDR Series Dual 12-inch Loaded Subwoofer Complete Bass Package
- Peak Power: 2,400 Watts | RMS Power: 1,200 Watts
- Includes x1 Skar Audio SDR-2X12D4 Dual 12" Loaded 2,400 Watt Vented Subwoofer Enclosure
- POWERED SUBWOOFER FOR EXTRA BASS & PUNCH – A 10-inch Dynamic Balance woofer & a uniquely configured directed port provides accurate bass with added...
- LOUDER CLEARER SOUND EVEN AT HIGH VOLUME – Enjoy a thrilling yet balanced music experience with rich, deep sound, even at low frequencies. BLENDS...
- DOUBLE THE AMPLIFIER POWER TO 100 Watts of Dynamic Power with its in-built 50-watt RMS amp. Sophisticated engineering with best in class...
- HOME THEATER POWERED SUBWOOFER - Standard RCA inputs easily connect to your home theater receivers dedicated Subwoofer Output. Save power with the...
- 400 WATTS PEAK POWER - Integrated high efficiency power amplifier, 25 - 250 Hz with 97dB at 8ohm, Auto ON/OFF and 0 - 180 degree Phase control...
- 10 INCH DOWN FIRING WOOFER - Long throw woofer with high rigidity PVA Treated cone, bottom slotted port, Bass Reflex cabinet design with vibration...
- This is an 8" powered subwoofer capable of producing 60 watts (RMS) output. The subwoofer has a frequency response range of 50 to 250 Hz with a...
- The subwoofer has multiple input options, which allow it to be used with any existing stereo or 5.1 (or greater) amplifier system. For each input...
- High-level inputs accept a full-range signal from the amplifier's stereo speaker outputs. When connecting the unit as part of a 5.1 system, these...
- Kicker Bundle Comp C12 Triple 12" Subwoofer Loaded 1800 Watt Sub Box Enclosure & Harmony HA-A1500.1 Amp
What’s the use of a subwoofer?
Subwoofer or bass box and woofer called, are special speakers that you can integrate into the domestic speaker set. The subwoofer is responsible for the reproduction of low-frequency sound waves, ie for very low tones, and offers a corresponding sound experience. In the end, this is nothing more than a bass and thus the typical thumping in the epigastrium. For movies or music, the bass provides a special experience of sound and especially in action movies or rock music, these deep tones are not missing, so you can experience film and music in the truest sense of the word.
The deep sound is created by the movement of large volumes of air, for which the subwoofer is responsible. Many users of hifi boxes still believe that the system is perfectly adequate. Basically, although there is a sufficient upper bass available, but it is about the low notes, Schachter most boxes tremendously. Especially when it comes to the cutoff frequency of 30 Hertz or even lower, the normal speakers can not keep up. But these are usually in many music recordings as synonymous in movies and present for a subwoofer the smallest problem.
Does a Home Cinema Subwoofer Offer Benefits?
This question can clearly be answered with “yes”. Because not only that you can experience the bass up close and conjure up a home theatre at home. Also, the remaining boxes of the system are significantly relieved and thus concentrate on their own frequency range. At the same time, this means that you can cover your own areas undisturbed and thus an even better sound image can be achieved. In addition, with a Home Activ subwoofer, you can significantly increase the bass sound and considerably improve the enjoyment of music or movies. However, you have to adjust the Woofer for Home Cinema accordingly and adapted to the spatial conditions. But the perfect interaction with the other speakers is also very important for home cinema.
What are the differences between subwoofers?
There are numerous subwoofers that are used for different purposes. On the one hand, there are special subwoofers for the home cinema area and on the other hand, woofers are available, which are used especially for music. Furthermore, the manufacturers offer car or car subwoofer and PC subwoofer, which are almost perfect for game enjoyment. Which bass is of interest to you depends on whether you want to use the woofer in the car, on the PC, for home theatre or for music.
Subwoofer construction methods
Subwoofers are available in three different designs, which are decisive for the purchase depending on the application. Therefore, you should know before buying if you want to use the subwoofer for home theatre, music or games. That’s the only way to be sure to buy the right subwoofer that suits your preferences. The three subwoofer construction methods differ mainly in the construction. While the membranes on Frontfire subwoofers are clearly visible, they are hidden in the Downfire subwoofer. The Free Air subwoofer does not even have a housing.
- Frontfire Subwoofer: The Frontfire subwoofer is especially recognizable by the clearly visible membranes. They also have a protective grid behind which the membranes can be found. In the Frontfire subwoofer, the sound waves drive the chassis forward, which means that the ambient air and not the ground is made to oscillate. Therefore, this subwoofer construction is mainly used for music fans, as furniture, walls and floors hardly vibrate at all.
- Downfire Subwoofer: These home cinema subwoofers are ideal for home theatre lovers in particular. The membranes are not visible, the boxes are completely closed and only at the bottom of the housing is a speaker cone. Thus, the sound is radiated towards the floor, which then causes walls, floors and furniture to vibrate. Therefore, in-home theatres, this subwoofer system is almost perfect, because here the characteristic quake of the walls comes into play.
- Free Air Subwoofer: The Free Air Subwoofer have no housing and are usually intended for the car, so pure car subwoofer, which are also mostly passive woofer. They are usually installed in the trunk, which means that the vehicle interior serves as a resonator.
What is the difference between active and passive subwoofers?
Subwoofers also distinguish between active and passive subwoofers. An active woofer thus has a built-in amplifier and offers you plenty of options. In addition, they are built much more compact and handling is much easier, which is why they are mainly found in domestic use. Furthermore, the active subwoofers contribute to relieving the remaining speakers and are therefore the home theatre or music enjoyment at home the first choice. But also because you can make much more adjustments on the active bass speaker than on the passive woofer. A passive bass box needs to be powered by an external amplifier. The functionality can be compared to a normal loudspeaker box. The settings of the device then take place directly on the amplifier, which is why they are usually also used in the car. Passive subwoofers are usually much cheaper than active woofers.
What role does the housing of the woofer play?
The speaker cabinet, which is also called chassis, is especially important for the sound. In the last few years, two types of construction have become so popular. On the one hand, this is the closed housing, as is also the case with normal loudspeakers, and on the other hand, the design that an opening on the front or back is available. Which of the construction methods you choose, of course, depends on your priorities. This opening on the front or back has the task that the sound of certain frequencies is amplified. This means that the physical principle behind these constructions resembles that of a Helmholtz resonator and should be familiar to everyone. Thus, the bass reflex housing makes use of this principle and the sound is generated inside the housing.
The sound waves radiated from the rear wall of the loudspeaker diaphragm then amplify in the soundbox, that is the loudspeaker enclosure and come out through the opening. At the same time, this means that the case has to be perfectly adapted to the speaker in order to achieve the desired effect. However, this is problematic anyway, because not always the desired effect is achieved, which is why you need to find the perfect place when setting up the Home Cinema Subwoofer. Because the woofer is too close to the wall, the sound waves can be thrown back from the back wall and an unpleasant roar is created. But even the rumbling in the stomach that some people feel uncomfortable by a wrong setting up the bass box arise. Advantages of different housing types:
- Enclosed Case: A closed case provides a deep and precise bass. In addition, it contains only a limited amount of air, but that means it tends to deliver bass accurately. For music enthusiasts who want a flat, accurate frequency response without erratic character, the closed subwoofer is recommended.
- Open Case: If you need a pompous bass for action movies, then a subwoofer with a bass reflex port is the perfect choice. However, these devices often provide a leaky bass, which makes them more suitable for movie fans and home cinema woofers.
What should be considered when setting up a bass box?
However, if you can call a subwoofer your own, you have to pay a lot of attention when setting it up. On the one hand, the neighbours should not be disturbed and on the other hand, the sound experience should be perfect. Therefore, the position of a woofer is particularly important. Meanwhile, there are also subwoofers that fit perfectly under the couch. These are not only particularly effective but also space-saving and adapt perfectly to the room. When setting up a subwoofer, it is especially important to ensure that it does not disappear behind a chair or even behind a plant. Because even if the woofers only radiate higher frequencies to a limited extent, you will miss the best sounds at such a site. Therefore, when setting up the bass box you should experiment and try a bit to get the perfect sound experience and enjoy music and movies to the fullest.
What should you look for when buying a subwoofer?
Of course, you must first consider which priorities you are setting. Should the woofer be more for music enjoyment or quirky action movie walls? If this question is answered, it must, of course, be considered where the place of use is, how big the room is and whether there is enough space for the subwoofer. Especially for home use, active subwoofers are recommended. For the sound enjoyment in the car, a passive woofer is better suited. If the woofer in the living room and are used for music or movies, the size of the subwoofer is not crucial. Important for the right choice here is the built-in electronics, which affects the Tiefbassvermögen. In addition, the features are of great importance. These features are especially important:
- Control of the volume
- Regulation of the frequency
- phase control
- advanced filter function
- various connection options
Another point is, of course, the case, which not only has to look nice but should also be stable. As a rule, the housings are made of sturdy MDF wood and therefore offer a certain level of stability. In addition, it should also be considered that a very powerful subwoofer should also have a size that the sound result is good.
A good subwoofer does not have to cost a fortune. In addition, of course, not every “ear” is the same and while some users rate the products as bad, other users are absolutely convinced of it. Basically, it depends on your own needs, which also means that not necessarily the tips from the friends also fit for yourself. If you want to buy a subwoofer, inform yourself, let us advise you and test the different devices. Of course, there are also differences here, as the subwoofers are in large rooms and the sound can not come across as he does, for example, at home.
However, when buying a subwoofer, it is important to set priorities. Even if the subwoofers are suitable for home theatre and music, weak spots may arise that you should be aware of. Also, the individual reviews often show where vulnerabilities are and whether the subwoofer is more suitable for music or home theatre. But watch out for the small and fine points of purchasing advice for a subwoofer, then almost nothing can go wrong when you buy a bass box.