One of the most frequently asked questions when talking about a used car is whether or not it will have a warranty. We explain to you in which cases it is so and when you can request it
Top 10 Used Car Warranty
- Phil Edmonston
- Paperback: 672 pages
- Prime Video
- The Used Cars
- MP3 Music
- Phil Edmonston
- Paperback: 720 pages
- This Certified Refurbished product is manufacturer refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty
- Designed for great sound with HD Voice, noise cancellation technology and an extra large speaker
- Voice Control activates your Android or Siri voice engine; control Jabra Tour with your voice including Answer/Ignore, Pair New Device, Battery and...
- IDEAL FOR RECORDING 4K UHD VIDEO: Samsung MicroSD EVO is perfect for high res photos, gaming, music, tablets, laptops, action cameras, DSLR's, drones,...
- ULTRA FAST READ WRITE SPEEDS: Up to 100MB/s read and 90MB/s write speeds; UHS Speed Class U3 and Speed Class 10 (performance may vary based on host...
- BUILT TO LAST RELIABILITY: Shock proof memory card is also water proof, temperature proof, x ray proof and magnetic proof
- Save up to $89 on a full-featured Fire 7 Tablet (not a toy), 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, a Kid-Proof Case with built-in stand, and 2-year...
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free.
- The included 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited gives your kids access to over 20,000 apps, games, books, videos, audiobooks, and educational content...
- POWERFUL BUT COMPACT: With 800 amps peak current, the Tacklife T8 can jump start 12V cars, SUVs, trucks or vans up to 30 times on a full charge...
- LONG-LASTING STANDBY TIME: Unlike other car jump starters, you can manually turn the Tacklife T8 'OFF' to slow down the battery's self-discharge -...
- USER-FRIENDLY EXTRAS: Not just a car battery charger, the T8 comes equipped with super bright LEDs functioning as an emergency flashlight. The red...
- Automatically on, automatically connected
- Easy setup for all your Apple devices
- Quick access to Siri by saying "Hey Siri"
- POWERFUL & COMPACT: Jump start your vehicle (up to 6.5L gas or 5.2L diesel engine) up to 20 times with 600 amps of peak current and heavy duty clamps...
- SMART CHARGING PORT: With 18000mAh capacity and smart USB port, it can full charge your laptops (include 8 in 1 laptop adapters in the package),...
- PROTECTION: The high quality and spray gold intelligent jumper clamps has over current protection, short circuit protection, overload protection,...
1. Do all used cars have a warranty?
Buying a used car is likely to generate some suspicion. You may worry about what will happen if a breakdown or any other problem arises. Will you have to bear the expenses? Does the seller have to pay for it? We will explain the type of used car warranty that all sellers have the obligation to respect. You will also know in what conditions it can be made effective if you are the buyer.
Different guarantees for used cars
The guarantee that all sellers have to respect covers breakdowns caused by defects or hidden defects in the sale of the used car. There are two different types of mandatory warranty, depending on whether the seller is professional or private, and a term to make them effective:
- Professional sellers If you are the seller and you dedicate yourself to this work in a professional way, you will have to take care of the failures due to material defects or hidden defects that the vehicle has. The period that the buyer has to make the claim is one year from the date of delivery. After this time, you will not have the right to demand any responsibility.
- Private sellers In Spain, the laws stipulate that private sellers must offer a six-month warranty period. This applies to breakdowns due to hidden defects.
At the option of the buyer, you can opt for the refund of the amount of the repair, the termination of the contract of sale with the returns that this entails, or the delivery of an equivalent vehicle, in the case of professional sale.
2. When the warranty of a used car applies
The warranty for a used car is not always applicable. You can only demand it if it is a hidden defect. This means that you will have to prove that it is not a fault due to wear or tear since in these cases the seller will not be responsible. It is considered a breakdown by use or wear that is the result of the daily use of the car, such as the wear of the brake pads, a bulb that melts, tire wear …
Another of the necessary conditions so that you can claim the warranty of a used car is that the defect was not evident before the purchase. That is, if the car shows a breakage or a malfunction evident before closing the operation, you will not be able to claim later. Therefore, it is necessary to demand the relevant repairs before the acquisition, in the case of the buyer, and give correct information in the case of the seller.
3. How to demand a used car warranty
When a used vehicle is purchased from a professional, it must clearly indicate the vehicle warranty in the contract. In the case of a business of sale, the normal thing is that it does not refuse to assume its responsibilities, as long as it is within the terms that have already been mentioned on this matter. But if you don’t, you can take legal action.
In the case of purchase from an individual, it is not mandatory to specify that the car has a six-month warranty. Therefore, when it comes to demanding the application of the guarantee, something more than sticking to the contract of sale will be necessary. If the individual does not recognize his responsibility, it is necessary to file a complaint. With this in hand, you can legally demand that you comply with what corresponds to you.
4. Alternatives to the warranty of a used car
There is an alternative to avoid headaches that could lead to a breakdown after the purchase or sale of the vehicle. In those cases in which the car has no official warranty, mechanical warranty insurance can be made. This will cover any breakdown that occurs during the contracted period.
5. Conclusion on used car warranty
Used vehicles are guaranteed, keep this in mind if you are the seller, and value a thorough review in a mechanical workshop before the sale. If you are the buyer, demand proof that the car is in perfect condition, and check well that there are no bumps or malfunctions. If a hidden fault arises, requires a repair or compensation, you are in your right.
It is good that you ask yourself if you are compensated by additional insurance that covers breakdowns for a year, will protect you as a buyer or as a seller. These insurances are a good option if the car is more than five years old and is over 100,000 kilometers